joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, packfan98 said:

I-95 Special it looks like on this run.

This run would be pretty much worst case for MBY....Emerald Isle would probably be totally erased as would most of the beaches all the way to ILM....That landfall point is 68 miles south of my house. I would miss the center too the next frame is probably just west of me I would be on the east side of the center in the eyewall the entire time....no bueno.

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

18z GEFS has 2 member's on the op track, roughly, but every other is well west.  Rest landfall into FL/GA/SC.  

Yeah but that worries me too, just about every storm that hit here was "suppose" to hit there and the landfall point just kept moving up from Fl to Ga to SC etc.....still 2-3 days worth of model runs before we get into the 5 days range so it should move around some, I will be shocked if we dont get a few runs with Hugo type hits for SC etc. 

Hell if this thing is on the GFS track 100 miles off NC coast Monday headed this way it still isnt a lock to hit,  I have seen them scoot east at the last second many times.....

7 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah but that worries me too, just about every storm that hit here was "suppose" to hit there and the landfall point just kept moving up from Fl to Ga to SC etc.....still 2-3 days worth of model runs before we get into the 5 days range so it should move around some, I will be shocked if we dont get a few runs with Hugo type hits for SC etc. 

Hell if this thing is on the GFS track 100 miles off NC coast Monday headed this way it still isnt a lock to hit,  I have seen them scoot east at the last second many times.....

Yep...agree.  I thought I would see the ensemble mean drift a little to the east.   It's only 6 days away from being on FL's doorstep, that's a long time for things to change but models should have some skill at day 6.

Both ensembles spit out of lot of landfalling members even with this subtle differences and seem to be in sync, relative, with the track of Irma.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_28.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_8.png

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

This run would be pretty much worst case for MBY....Emerald Isle would probably be totally erased as would most of the beaches all the way to ILM....That landfall point is 68 miles south of my house. I would miss the center too the next frame is probably just west of me I would be on the east side of the center in the eyewall the entire time....no bueno.

Looks like I would be in the eastern eyewall on that run. The devastation would run from ILM all the way to Morehead and inland to Richmond.

2 hours ago, downeastnc said:

So very true with both statements. It's like the norm preceeding every Carolina threat. Let's pray this thing finds a way to scoot east.  These north turns where it just slams on brakes and goes 90 degrees right aren't the norm. Usually it's more gradual, curvature

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I'm not sure we are really any closer to knowing a landfall point really.  A lot of changes to come I think whether good or bad.

Trend is definitely south and west. Getting harder for Irma to miss landfalling on PR, The Shredder or Cuba and South Florida before heading pole ward per model trends , espeacilly ensembles. Can always reverse but this trend has been stepping in this direction for past 3 to 4 cycles now.

Archived