Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, griteater said:

Saw where a met said the GFS has been over strengthening tropical systems across the globe...but nevertheless, it's a strong system on the model.

That would basically put the entire eastern half of NC in winds gusting to 80-100 mph or better, and well I hate to say it but that was probably the most realistic run versus climo we have seen so far.....

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

Yep obliterates my vacation spot for past 22 years. Good news is ECU wouldn't have to play a football game for a while. 

On a serious note this is starting to get past uneasiness and entering concerned territory

Verbatim this run is about as bad as it gets.

This has my attention more than it usually would this far out because, except for the crazy low pressure, it makes sense.  Between Wilmington and Cape Lookout is where we get hit the most.  Usually, the storms ride up through the sounds behind the banks and exit near Duck and head off to the Northeast.  However, the synoptic setup clearly shows the block that will prevent that rightward arc and instead forces it west as it gains latitude. We have examples of that as well with Hugo and to a lesser extent Hazel and Floyd.  

1 minute ago, jburns said:

This has my attention more than it usually would this far out because, except for the crazy low pressure, it makes sense.  Between Wilmington and Cape Lookout is where we get hit the most.  Usually, the storms ride up through the sounds behind the banks and exit near Duck and head off to the Northeast.  However, the synoptic setup clearly shows the block that will prevent that rightward arc and instead forces it west as it gains latitude. We have examples of that as well with Hugo and to a lesser extent Hazel and Floyd.  

Ya... In all seriousness, I would urge anyone from Florida to the Mid-atlantic to get supplies (water, batteries etc.) just in case.

Archived