Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

At this point there are more factors leading to an ots solution. .. the odds are stacked against this one making landfall is highly unlikely

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Well if by more you mean the Euro versus the other two models showing landfall then you would be right, ( and this is the first Euro run not showing a landfall), we disagree on the definition of the word "more".... I am not saying it cant or wont fish but I wouldnt call a OTS track highly likely at this point.

4 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

At this point there are more factors leading to an ots solution. .. the odds are stacked against this one making landfall is highly unlikely

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Yep...that Euro run falls right along with the 0z EPS mean too.   

Odd are going up for the Bahamas maybe. 

The Euro had that monster trough I was talking about several days ago, with the storm approaching.  Going to be hard for that trough, if real, not to beat down the western edge of the ridge and kick the storm out.  Will the trough be that deep?  We'll see.  Hard to bet against troughs in September as well as overmodeled Atl ridges in the LR.

11 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Euro against the world. You got the euro?

They are all pretty similar the Euro just takes the trough and drops a 1001 MB low in it north of Maine and that totally beats down the ridge, the GFS and CMC do not have that same strong low feature up north of Maine that the Euro has....lol ran out of room had to delete attachments look at the difference with that low over SE canada

59ab017642cc7_ecmwf_z500_mslp_atl_8(1).thumb.png.fd4e16a4dacccd93c3ffa0998790725b.png

gem_z500_mslp_atl_29.thumb.png.3f4aebc5acbe66507a2b69c812639475.png

gfs_z500_mslp_atl_29.thumb.png.1d88b2779745b76f3061f8447058013c.png

28 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Wide right, thank god for this run.  Hopefully a trend. 

long ways to go yet. I don't put much stock in models that show cutoff lows that form 7 to 9 days out.

besides, the always....*cough*..."reliable" 12z jma says hold on a sec. 

jma_z500_mslp_us_9.png

7 minutes ago, Wow said:

12z EPS says Hugo or bust!  lol

That's a pretty wild spread. Strange day of model runs honestly...gfs/cmc look more threatening while their respective ensemble spread becomes larger but at the same time maybe more threatening. OTOH, The euro becomes less threatening while it's ensemble spread is larger too but overall less threatening. Things really haven't gotten a lot clearer today.  

yeah if anything its going the wrong way, bottom line is everything is pretty much still on the table from Central Fl north....and until we get to mid week there will be a lot of fine tuning with regards to the trough pattern over the US, we are still at the earliest talking about Sunday next week for landfall and thats if it comes into the Carolinas....

59 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

That's a very deep trough for early September standards I'm not sure I'd buy that quite yet but I have my own opinion what's been causing that lately.

This! It is very rare we see a trough at this time of the year really dig this deep and sweep all the way through. The current forecast would be out of the norm for this time of the year.

16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

The cluster making landfall into lower SE matches one of the GEFS clusters, GEFS just lacks the wide right cluster.  

I wonder how many of those EPS members, or GEFS GEPS ens for that matter missing wide right have that strong low over SE Canada like the OP run did...Euro was much stronger with this feature than the CMC and GFS. The CMC does have it more than the GFS just much later than the Euro 

59ab16cb53373_Euroec.thumb.png.5b96bee9ba8e62d99015f9855f6cf06f.png

If the trough is sharper and a bit further west over W Tenn. when it pulls out it's going to allow the W Atl ridge to nudge further west.  The more extreme of this scenario the more threatening it is for Florida.  If it's less sharp and further east, then the OTS scenarios are more likely.  This is just a quick analysis of individual GEFS members.

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

If the trough is sharper and a bit further west over W Tenn. when it pulls out it's going to allow the W Atl ridge to nudge further west.  The more extreme of this scenario the more threatening it is for Florida.  If it's less sharp and further east, then the OTS scenarios are more likely.  This is just a quick analysis of individual GEFS members.

Here's a better visual of what I mean...

12z GEFS member p001 at 120 hrs... (This one eventually hits GA/SC at 216 hrs)

FhyLLOq.png

And here is p002 at 120 hrs... (This is OTS)

Elyfw00.png

Archived