Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Will say this, seems the right hand turn is pretty well modeled on all modeling but these things have to be watched for sure. But to your point, model corrections west or East at 25 degrees Lat certainly are not comparable to when they run into the westerlies at 35 degrees. errors, and you can look it up, north of 35 degree in Hurricane modeling are overwhelmingly west

No argument here... that's probably why climo is what it is... should be SE of the Cape...

but, climo's like a-holes: every world's got 'em and they all stink.  no j/k just sayin' that there's always outliers

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

SnowGoose69, she is already a monster, have you seen her recent microwave image?  as of 1515utc, she has an almost completed eye wall and eye present

No and no.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2017_15L/web/displayGifsBy12hr_01.html shows an arc of convection around the center of circulation. And I'm not sure where you are finding an eye.

19 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Hurricane or no, the sky today has that classic tropical appeal. Deep blue with lots of tenebrous bottomed white puffs of cloud with blurred edges.

Interesting you posted this.  Up here the sky is very hazy.  Almost looks like mid level smoke again.  Definitely not the deep tropical blue.  Looking forward to that as Jose should bring in nice SE tropical air.

As far as Maria goes,  looks like a TS to me.  I would be very surprised if not upgraded at 5pm.  

Model wise, wow.  Pin the tail on the donkey as to how Jose and Maria will interact.  I don't believe the Euro.  I think Jose will get well northeast out of the picture.  Maria could be a big one depending on island interactions.

Quick video of our smoky looking sky up here..

https://video.nest.com/clip/b0e32244442f4b8e8698e3d9674d8252.mp4

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Interesting you posted this.  Up here the sky is very hazy.  Almost looks like mid level smoke again.  Definitely not the deep tropical blue.  Looking forward to that as Jose should bring in nice SE tropical air.

As far as Maria goes,  looks like a TS to me.  I would be very surprised if not upgraded at 5pm.  

Model wise, wow.  Pin the tail on the donkey as to how Jose and Maria will interact.  I don't believe the Euro.  I think Jose will get well northeast out of the picture.  Maria could be a big one depending on island interactions.

Quick video of our smoky looking sky up here..

https://video.nest.com/clip/b0e32244442f4b8e8698e3d9674d8252.mp4

NHC just had their 5 PM forecast conference call. It's fun knowing these things ahead of the tropical weenie world. :devilsmiley:

8 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

SnowGoose69, she is already a monster, have you seen her recent microwave image?  as of 1515utc, she has an almost completed eye wall and eye present

Looks like a 50-55mph TS maybe.  I meant more along the lines that it likely won't be a 3 or 4 before the islands.  They can usually handle a Cat 1 or 2 without being decimated at least or having Barbuda type damage 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Euro has 86 mph gusts on Montserrat and 65-70 on St Johns, still not good

I'm not saying it's not going to develop, it's just not a monster now and does not have an eye.

But even a marginal hurricane hitting the islands is bad news at this point. At best it delays the recovery, at worst there will be even more to recover from.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not saying it's not going to develop, it's just not a monster now and does not have an eye.

But even a marginal hurricane hitting the islands is bad news at this point. At best it delays the recovery, at worst there will be even more to recover from.

Oh I know wasn't disagreeing about the monster bash but a strengthening cane is the last thing those people need right now

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Name usually imply gender no? I mean hurricane IKE or Ivan definitely not  ladies name. although I think Ray may have dated a chick named Ivan, wait that was his man beast, my bad.

Most of the posts I see here just refer to the name and say "it". I'm not making fun of him or anything. I find it endearing like your posts about the moon.

Archived