joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question about PRE's.  Looking at Jose we have the hurricane structure and then all that additional moisture well to the NW.    Does Jose force all that moisture north?  What makes some hurricanes have PRE's and others do not?  I'd just like to get some moisture up this way.  Perhaps just outer bands that move north and rot out.  Airmass does seem pretty tropical over the next few days.  Not a super cool, low dewpoint,  airmass that we many times see in Mid September.  

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Question about PRE's.  Looking at Jose we have the hurricane structure and then all that additional moisture well to the NW.    Does Jose force all that moisture north?  What makes some hurricanes have PRE's and others do not?  I'd just like to get some moisture up this way.  Perhaps just outer bands that move north and rot out.  Airmass does seem pretty tropical over the next few days.  Not a super cool, low dewpoint,  airmass that we many times see in Mid September.  

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2010MWR3243.1

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Ok the satellite is obviously not telling the whole picture.

James the microwave is satellite based.

Different frequencies attenuate at different rates. Higher frequency microwave will be attenuated by deep convection more readily than lower frequency. You posted a lower frequency microwave image which may be picking up more surface features than deep convection of an eyewall.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

James the microwave is satellite based.

Different frequencies attenuate at different rates. Higher frequency microwave will be attenuated by deep convection more readily than lower frequency. You posted a lower frequency microwave image which may be picking up more surface features than deep convection of an eyewall.

OceanStWx, do you think the eye wall is present, it is just a little on the weak side presently with a tropical storm and what does the latest microwave imagery look like now that is about six hours past the previous one

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

OceanStWx, do you think the eye wall is present, it is just a little on the weak side presently with a tropical storm and what does the latest microwave imagery look like now that is about six hours past the previous one

No I don't think there is an eyewall right now. We need more convection and we need it to wrap around the center of circulation. And we also need to wait for another microwave imager to pass over the storm, so there is no new data there.

The IR satellite pattern appropriately represents a TS at this point.

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Why with the mean words, I am still learning Jerry

James, you're a nice fellow.  But keep in mind this is big boy forum.  If you wish cast with no backup, someone will tell the truth.  I usually hold my tongue but sometimes one can't take it anymore.

Archived