Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

35 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looping canes are neh ...

this is one reasons in many why they tend to underwhelm.  but as you say, it's progged to move over the g-string -so

Fascinating theory about the "g-string" slowing down and what implications this might have on noreasters and hurricanes (we're already seeing spikes in high precip events with more 3+ inch rainstorms and I had my first all snow 3+ inch qpf bomb in Jan 2016.)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I know the GFS really over deepened Irma, forecasting crazy low pressures.  Is it over-deepening (to a lesser degree) Jose?

The current GFS tends to deepen TC's too much in general. Can't seriously expect it to be much more than a strong TS/min cane by the time it would get to SNE latitude.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

And 96L looks like a system primed for a mega hurricane status

Question is the track with that one.  Looks destined to take a track south of Irma's which means a no go up here.

There are two storms behind Jose, I wonder if one can turn up the coast and the other one ends up in the Gulf?

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

Will, do you think Jose will be the best chance we'll get this year or do you think the pattern going forward, with abundant blocking setting up, will offer something better in the long term?

We def still have to watch...it seems there are still several chances in the pipeline. There have been some good ones late in the season too...obviously nobody will forget Sandy, but even Noel was a good one for the Cape and the Perfect Storm. Those were all way out in late Oct or early Nov and we'll have no idea what the pattern looks like then. But I'd def still watch in the near term after Jose.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

RIP mega banyan tree at Key West's west martello gardens. :cry: 

What??  Don't tell me.  

And WHY The hellz are people rooting for these????  Snowstorms  are distractive enough, and it feels wrong to root for them as it is, and especially hurricanes reaching record levels in various ways out in the ocean.  But to ROOT  for hurricanes to come here, and do tree damage, is outroght Asinine.  We should be wishing daily that Tornados and Hurricanes are thrown from the earth.  NOT rooting for them in our backyard.  The only reason I have any rooting interest at anytime is because it is the ONLY time people talk about climate change and fighting it .  

9 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

What??  Don't tell me.  

And WHY The hellz are people rooting for these????  Snowstorms  are distractive enough, and it feels wrong to root for them as it is, and especially hurricanes reaching record levels in various ways out in the ocean.  But to ROOT  for hurricanes to come here, and do tree damage, is outroght Asinine.  We should be wishing daily that Tornados and Hurricanes are thrown from the earth.  NOT rooting for them in our backyard.  The only reason I have any rooting interest at anytime is because it is the ONLY time people talk about climate change and fighting it .  

How old was that tree? A few centuries old I think?

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We def still have to watch...it seems there are still several chances in the pipeline. There have been some good ones late in the season too...obviously nobody will forget Sandy, but even Noel was a good one for the Cape and the Perfect Storm. Those were all way out in late Oct or early Nov and we'll have no idea what the pattern looks like then. But I'd def still watch in the near term after Jose.

It's interesting because the last few seasons we've been seeing the most activity in October.  In the last few seasons the Saharan Air Layer put a cap on activity earlier in the season, but this season the cap broke early.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its insanely fast compared to the GFS/NAM which is why it gets so far west. 

I wonder if GFS's excessive intensification (960 mb?) is causing it to be tugged eastward.  More intense storms usually recurve faster and sharper.  So a less intense storm has more of a chance to stay close to the coast.

I think this won't even come close in the end and will be a major miss for anyone west of E LI.  Its a different story for the Cape and Islands but I would not be surprised to see the Euro go further east.

Without any strong steering currents, what is causing the pull to the east, SG?  And if it's going to move so slowly, and if Will doesn't want Eduoard to be used as an analog, the other one I'll bring out is Hermine from last year :P

I think this won't even come close in the end and will be a major miss for anyone west of E LI.  Its a different story for the Cape and Islands but I would not be surprised to see the Euro go further east.

That is my gut feeling too but until the western cluster on the GEFS is gone I'm watching it.

Archived