Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. Only got a very brief light shower at work in Salem, NH. I did however get a photo of some cool Mammatus clouds attached below (hopefully works, like I said first post.)

By the way does anyone else seem like the Merrimack Valley area (Methuen, Dracut, Lawrence) area seems to be an area that just kills off Thunderstorms? I know it's easy for me being a weather enthusiast to believe that I'm just overthinking it and thunderstorms are hit or miss in nature. But after living in the same area for 27 years I have consistently seen storms die off quickly coming from the west (usually just west of Lowell) or pass by and explode right over Haverhill and points east. Also I see lines of storms set up just south of here (Leominster_--> Littleton --> Burlington corridor) and just north (Nashua --> Derry -->Manchester area) all the time but very infrequently here. Anyone else or am I just crazy and jealous of those getting the action today? 

IMG_2464.JPG

Few sprinkles here.  Just south of me by 5 miles was a nice T storm with even some small hail.  As it passed moved away an  outflow boundary formed bringing clouds back northwest towards me.  As they past my temperature dropped and a nice south breeze blew in.  You can clearly see the boundary as it moves towards me from the departing storm.  Can see the wind pick up as passes.  Kind cool...

https://video.nest.com/clip/f5c8922299494c2d959e9a731b3bb3ba.mp4

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Some insane mesoscale stuff here today. Boundaries galore.

Was this forecast as such?  I didn't pay much attention but looking around SNE there is widespread 0.5" to as much as 4.5".  Large areas of 1"+ and I don't remember models being that robust.

Some of the higher-impact spots looking through the PWS stations.

In CT... Manchester to Mansfield axis...highest of 4.28" in Manchester.  Even all the way to the right on this screen grab in Mansfield, CT you've got 3.45".  That's a ton of rain.

TDm0qXp.jpg

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Was this forecast as such?  I didn't pay much attention but looking around SNE there is widespread 0.5" to as much as 4.5".  Large areas of 1"+ and I don't remember models being that robust.

Some of the higher-impact spots looking through the PWS stations.

In CT... Manchester to Mansfield axis...highest of 4.28" in Manchester.  Even all the way to the right on this screen grab in Mansfield, CT you've got 3.45".  That's a ton of rain.

TDm0qXp.jpg

With dews in the 70's . That's what happens 

In Mass this area around Acton, Maynard and Concord is pretty insane too... that's a decent sized footprint of 2-4" rains over all three towns. 

3.63" in Concord, 3.45" in Maynard and 3.40" in Acton.

8SLk7NL.jpg

Dorchester, MA also looks quite damp with widespread 2-4".

I mean this isn't just scattered heavy downpours... there are up to half a dozen areas of towns in SNE that saw 2-4" of rainfall.

zdhB3zP.jpg

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

With dews in the 70's . That's what happens 

Quite the dew gradient as IJD and BDL were just sneaking into the low 70s while ORH was low 60s.

The summer of gradient's continues though... dews in the 50s up here this afternoon.  83/56 type stuff which is perfect summer weather.

Been one heck of a pleasant summer.  Couldn't draw it up any better really.

Archived