Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

5pm  83/63F  up here.  CF imminent.  I want to turn off the AC and open the windows.  Problem is the green pollen is just blowing off the White Pines right now.  How long does the peak White Pollen season go.  Cars are covered in green stuff...

It's got to be right on top of you now or close to it.

71/54 here/MVL though MPV one county south is 71/64.  

No temp difference but the dews are 10F cooler here than 20 miles south.

24 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I was about 20 yards away last summer from being struck by lightning so I am all set with it as well. 

I can do without it too. I'm a fan of prolonged small hail and torrential rain, but I don't want the havoc from wind and lightning. I have an ungrounded 25ft guyed mast on my garage for my anemometer so any nearby TS scares the bejeezus out of me.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I can do without it too. I'm a fan of prolonged small hail and torrential rain, but I don't want the havoc from wind and lightning. I have an ungrounded 25ft guyed mast on my garage for my anemometer so any nearby TS scares the bejeezus out of me.

I don't get or understand this way of thinking. 

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've told this story on AMWX weather before at least in the NNE threads.   Our  house is exposed, up high, 230 years old and has a cedar shake roof.  15 years ago we invested around $5000 and put in a professional lightning protection system.  Preistley Lightning Protection out of Vermont.  (Zerozap.com)   Very professional.  Took them 2 days of work. Deep grounding rods and thick copper wire with multiple lightning stakes..  Circuit box, everything is now grounded. Cant't see all the rods and copper wire in the picture attached but I highlighted some in yellow.  Davis station/anemometer which is just above the picture also has a lightning rods.  A few years ago I was watching a Tstorm and lightning struck a  rod, the one on left front in this picture.  Sparks everywhere, scared the crap out of me.....but it saved the house.  Now I feel much better watching Tstorms....

Meanwhile front is through.  Can feel the dewpoint and temperature dropping by the minute.  72/57 feels amazingly cool.  Just a couple of weeks ago upper 50's dews felt humid!

lightning.jpg

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I guess I'm wrong for not wanting things I pay for to get destroyed for 30 seconds of intense weather.

Kev's the neighbor who just watched your house get crushed by huge trees in straight-line winds and walks over to you going, "holy crap wasn't that awesome!?"

All joking aside, I'm not going to pretend I'm above wishing for exciting weather that may have negative societal effects.  But I'm with you on severe not being worth it for the short-burst of weather.  Maybe a hurricane or tropical storm I'd be more inclined to feel it was worth it, lol.  Something that brings hours of excitement.

Hard to believe a year ago yesterday I was watching snow showers roll over the mountain...while this year the high at MVL was 89F and 76F at 4,000ft at MMVN1. 

Last year the snow level made it down to 3,000ft on June 12th (video from 3,300ft)...it snowed off and on for several hours during afternoon (max daytime heating time) but never hard enough to accumulate on the warm mid-June ground... not bad for 9 days from the solstice.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I've told this story on AMWX weather before at least in the NNE threads.   Our  house is exposed, up high, 230 years old and has a cedar shake roof.  15 years ago we invested around $5000 and put in a professional lightning protection system.  Preistley Lightning Protection out of Vermont.  (Zerozap.com)   Very professional.  Took them 2 days of work. Deep grounding rods and thick copper wire with multiple lightning stakes..  Circuit box, everything is now grounded. Cant't see all the rods and copper wire in the picture attached but I highlighted some in yellow.  Davis station/anemometer which is just above the picture also has a lightning rods.  A few years ago I was watching a Tstorm and lightning struck a  rod, the one on left front in this picture.  Sparks everywhere, scared the crap out of me.....but it saved the house.  Now I feel much better watching Tstorms....

Meanwhile front is through.  Can feel the dewpoint and temperature dropping by the minute.  72/57 feels amazingly cool.  Just a couple of weeks ago upper 50's dews felt humid!

lightning.jpg

Beautiful house. The porch/deck combo is clutch.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Kev's the neighbor who just watched your house get crushed by huge trees in straight-line winds and walks over to you going, "holy crap wasn't that awesome!?"

All joking aside, I'm not going to pretend I'm above wishing for exciting weather that may have negative societal effects.  But I'm with you on severe not being worth it for the short-burst of weather.  Maybe a hurricane or tropical storm I'd be more inclined to feel it was worth it, lol.  Something that brings hours of excitement.

Talk to people here that are still out of their homes from sand about hoping for that stuff lol

13 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I wonder what the science of strike frequency and location vs that industry really is... I mean, yes yes - copper is very conductive and thus intuitively it would seem that sticking a rod up over the roof-line and/or chimney etc would attract the bolt before it chose somewhere on the edifice of the home, but... I have seen athletes popped in soccer games while flag poles remained untouched in the near-by footage.  

I suppose there's no guarantee that the lightning strike will "choose" the rod as the path of least resistance, all you are really doing is upping the odds that it will.  okay -

top 10 day on-going... 

Temps routinely 70 to 75 at 9:30 AM with DPs in the 45 to 52 range is just about right on top of standard setting for most industrial society intents and purposes... heh.  

It is early and these are warm temperatures relative to time of day, so we'll probably make a run at 80 or 82  - there's no CAA to offset behind this boundary and the secondary BD idea appears to washed out...  

55 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wonder what the science of strike frequency and location vs that industry really is... I mean, yes yes - copper is very conductive and thus intuitively it would seem that sticking a rod up over the roof-line and/or chimney etc would attract the bolt before it chose somewhere on the edifice of the home, but... I have seen athletes popped in soccer games while flag poles remained untouched in the near-by footage.  

I suppose there's no guarantee that the lightning strike will "choose" the rod as the path of least resistance, all you are really doing is upping the odds that it will.  okay -

Lightning strikes almost define "arbitrary and capricious", at least from a non-scientific view.  Many years back (1965, IIRC) two campers at Chimney Pond were killed by lightning, which hit there rather than on the Katahdin ridges 2,000'+ higher and less than a mile away.

Mid 40s this morning, 65-70 for the likely high - wish this could be the rule all summer, with some overnight rain for the garden, of course.  Was nice to walk the dog at 5 this morning without having to deal with the swarms of mosquitos that have been greeting us during warmer and more humid excursions.

Archived