joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS would be the biggest disaster in my life time. And that is no joke. Delmarva would be destroyed and DC would be in deep deep trouble. The CMC isnt far off from the GFS either. We definitely need to be waching this one over the next week. Crazy actually.

Edit: I should add biggest disaster for me personally. Having a house in both OC and the mountains. At least as modeled it would be a fast mover. But still.

sfcwind_mslp.us_ma.png

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The GFS would be the biggest disaster in my life time. And that is no joke. Delmarva would be destroyed and DC would be in deep deep trouble. The CMC isnt far off from the GFS either. We definitely need to be waching this one over the next week. Crazy actually.

http://magicseaweed.com/Wildwood-Surf-Report/392/

I use this site a lot , and the surf forecasts are generated from over 22 models or more , usually pretty accurate, in this case of course take the forecast with a grain of salt . Not sure what the various models are based off ( GFS, ocean model, etc ) , maybe one the mets might know. 

Any way, the forecast it has for Wildwood, NJ , Cape May area is something I have never seen on this model in my 20 years of looking at the site. 

waves over 50 feet , what !!!!!  

Pretty amazing 

I don't think a cat 4 is congrats coming up the bay. A lot of homes would be destroyed.

This far out there is no way any definitive statements can be made. No one is wishing for Cat 4 destruction. Just explaining what the run shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Here:

55WIkNg.jpg

10m and 80m winds on hurricane models significantly undersell the winds. Don't believe me, look at what they are at initialization vs what they actually are.

That's beautiful.  Move that into NOVA please and I'll volunteer the MD side of the Potomac as tribute.  Too bad that's not a 60HR forecast.

All but 3 of the 12z hurricane models are pointed to the Carolinas.  Bob Chill can probably swat me down, but it seems like between 55W - 60W is where the divergence happens with the OP/ENS of the globals.  Seems like once Irma gets to that point, combined with the recon flights, we'll see that spread tighten up pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

All but 3 of the 12z hurricane models are pointed to the Carolinas.  Bob Chill can probably swat me down, but it seems like between 55W - 60W is where the divergence happens with the OP/ENS of the globals.  Seems like once Irma gets to that point, combined with the recon flights, we'll see that spread tighten up pretty quickly.

I'm actually reluctantly becoming a believer that the possibility isn't as remote as I want to believe. I've been going through a mental checklist all day as to what I need to do each day if models start converging. Even a close scrape has implications. 

Will be paying very close attention to the model spread as it starts to narrow over the next couple of days.  The first GIV flight is my milepost to start gearing up if it doesn't change the goalposts.  While the GFS OP is pure fantasyland stuff at this range, it is awfully insistent and it's enough to be a wake up call.  Eyewall in SBY?  Get outta here...

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm actually reluctantly becoming a believer that the possibility isn't as remote as I want to believe. I've been going through a mental checklist all day as to what I need to do each day if models start converging. Even a close scrape has implications. 

Yea I'm in the same boat.  I'm in the "go big or go home" boat with this.  Either we get Isabel 2.0 or nothing...none of this half-a$$ed 20mph and an inch of rain crap.  

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Everyone has seen the scenes out of east Texas, right?

Still think 10% chance tops that this impacts anywhere from North Fla to OC. By impact I mean direct landfall.  I guess I'd give the outer banks maybe a 20% chance.

You're like anti wish casting. 20% odds of OBX is a joke lol

Archived