• Member Statistics

    16,277
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Wrigleywx
    Newest Member
    Wrigleywx
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
The Iceman

March 13-14 Storm Observations

Recommended Posts

That heavy band has been almost all sleet (with the occasional flakes of snow mixed in)  in Spring Mount, PA.  It changed to primarily sleet here a bit before 5 AM after 4.5" of snow fell.  Since then, I've picked up over 2" of sleet - more than half of that since 8 AM.  Still sleeting fairly heavily and 24.4 degrees (which is down from 26.7 at 5 AM).  So temps have been dropping while it's been sleeting.

 

And this "waiting for the sleet to change back to all snow" is so much like the sleetfest in March 2007.  That time, it never did change back to snow IMBY.  Maybe it will this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Newman said:

Is anybody in that band of heavy whatever that's pivoting? Is it still sleet in that band?

Lehigh Valley going back to heavy sleet, apparently the line is meandering back and forth in the I 78 corridor on the PA side.  Thought the transition back to snow at 7am would have been permanent this far north.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago it was a whiteout outside. Now it's almost all sleet. Hoping it can change back to snow soon, since this deformation band looks wild on radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much has actually fallen due to the compression of each type of precip.

I'd say 3.5-4.5" of what ever.

There is 1/8th of an inch of ice buildup on the side of the car.

Still coming done about 1/2" of sleet per hour.  Winds gusty, but not that bad.

And the stuff out there is HEAVY.  Shovel some if you have time, don't try to do it all at once. Makes a great "snow" ball, but would be the kind where afterward you'd have to apologize to your mom for breaking your brother's eye socket when you threw it at him.

Langhorne, Bucks County.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shemATC said:

Not sure how much has actually fallen due to the compression of each type of precip.

I'd say 3.5-4.5" of what ever.

There is 1/8th of an inch of ice buildup on the side of the car.

Still coming done about 1/2" of sleet per hour.  Winds gusty, but not that bad.

And the stuff out there is HEAVY.  Shovel some if you have time, don't try to do it all at once. Makes a great "snow" ball, but would be the kind where afterward you'd have to apologize to your mom for breaking your brother's eye socket when you threw it at him.

Langhorne, Bucks County.

I was just about to post "where is shem, I need to buy him a beer".

Well, crazy storm.  I am enjoying it.  Just saw a plow go by.  Was pushing off a huge amount of accumulated sleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I was just about to post "where is shem, I need to buy him a beer".

Well, crazy storm.  I am enjoying it.  Just saw a plow go by.  Was pushing off a huge amount of accumulated sleet.

Lack of snow is depressing, but meteorologically it's crazy.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like places to the southwest are changing back to snow as the storm center deepens and moves north.  Hopefully that bodes well for us in the sleet/zr/rain zones further north/east.  It would be nice to get a couple hours of snow before the decent precip pulls away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some rain with the sleet in this band, I pray THAT stops, don't need rain at 24F with high winds.  I'll take all sleet or a dry slot over this!  It's kinda doing everything here right now.........I though Feb 14 storm was crazy but this is trying to top it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temps in SoMoCo range from 35-40 depending upon how close you are to coast.  Driving rain and wind.  Roads are fine with minor flooding. RT 35 Belmar closed due to high tide, usually near Windmill.

The one good thing is the layer and layers of brine put down on the roads for the last two days are washing away and off my truck. It was a bit insane the amount of treatment done on State and County roads down here......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could someone explain to me why in this intense band there is no snow only sleet? I thought the heavier precip (snow) would be able to break through the warm layer and produce snow?


I snowing over here near Reading mod-heavy at times but nowhere near what it looks like it should by the radar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, penndotguy said:


I snowing over here near Reading mod-heavy at times but nowhere near what it looks like it should by the radar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smack in the middle of this band is 100% sleet. No joke not a single flake. Heck, there may be rain mixing in with the sleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newman said:

Smack in the middle of this band is 100% sleet. No joke not a single flake. Heck, there may be rain mixing in with the sleet.

I'm wondering if what looks like higher precip rates for those bands is simply higher returns because of the sleet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.