Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

Just now, nyblizz44 said:

looks like the improved upper  levels of the NAM and the GFS have been translated  by the CMC and the UKie. Now all we have to do is wait 2 hours and see if the Euro is going to play ball :D

I like this post. I was just thinking the same thing to be honest. Looking at H5 the differences are slight between the GFS and CMC and I am talking even up to about 60 hours.

I'll start with the CMC

gem_z500_vort_us_11.png

Vs.

gfs_z500_vort_us_11.png

The former being slightly stronger with the lead shortwave and slightly sharper with the "latch" around the Ohio river valley and entering VA. The GFS on the other hand is ever so slightly sloppier and it can't get a clean latch because the trailing ULL energy takes slightly longer to latch on.

This just goes to show how delicate this situation is and a matter of mere hours can make a huge difference, I'd expect we haven't even begun to see the end of some of the solutions.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If dr. No sticks with Dr no, then we just have an outlier situation really.  The other guidance is fairly clustered on or in the benchmark.  So if you say ' wait for the euro,' why?  To see its not an outlier?  Not sure what that means thats different than you can say right now.

night

45 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

3/12 00Z Suite

QPF range NYC area / Snow

SREF: 1.20 - 1.45 /  10 - 18 inches

NAM : 1.30 - 1.55 / mix/rain (4- 8 inches)

P NAM: 1.35 - 1.56 / 10 - 18 inches
GFS: 0.80 - 1.10 / 8 - 12 inches
RGEM: 1.20 : 8 - 14 inches
GGEM:  2.05 - 2.30 / 20 - 27 inches
UKMET:

Sacrus is back!!  Love these posts!

6 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I like this post. I was just thinking the same thing to be honest. Looking at H5 the differences are slight between the GFS and CMC and I am talking even up to about 60 hours.

I'll start with the CMC

gem_z500_vort_us_11.png

Vs.

gfs_z500_vort_us_11.png

The former being slightly stronger with the lead shortwave and slightly sharper with the "latch" around the Ohio river valley and entering VA. The GFS on the other hand is ever so slightly sloppier and it can't get a clean latch because the trailing ULL energy takes slightly longer to latch on.

This just goes to show how delicate this situation is and a matter of mere hours can make a huge difference, I'd expect we haven't even begun to see the end of some of the solutions.

Honored. In many ways writing is about externalizing an internal image and that's how I see the latch effect: like 2 Olympic ice skaters looking to make the perfect catch in the air and then having to make the perfect Landing. Complex but when perfection unleashed it's no different than an OBJ 1 hander in back if the end zone  ( I realize that is the first time in the history of the form that ice skating in pro football have been mentioned in the same post with a perfect phase)

3/12 00Z Suite

QPF range NYC area / Snow

SREF: 1.20 - 1.45 /  10 - 18 inches

NAM : 1.30 - 1.55 / mix/rain (4- 8 inches)

P NAM: 1.35 - 1.56 / 10 - 18 inches
GFS: 0.80 - 1.10 / 8 - 12 inches
RGEM: 1.20 : 8 - 14 inches
GGEM:  2.05 - 2.30 / 20 - 27 inches
UKMET: 1.88 / 15 - 22 inches

NAVGEM (NOGAPS):  1.45- 1.65  / 12 - 18

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Is that 3 inches (75mm) touching the south shore of Long Island?

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Is that 3 inches (75mm) touching the south shore of Long Island?

Thats the 50-75 shade so likely 50-60MM 2+ inches QPF

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Can't make this crap up, Gefs look like they go pretty Far East now 

I think that precip cut back because the GEFS shifted the super west members back towards the BM. Precip along the coast remained almost constant, while precip for far NW regions decreased (most likely because of the decrease of coast huggers). Also, it looks like there are slight timing differences between the members in the 00z.

00z

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_12.png

18z

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_13.png

the lean on the gefs makes it look like two distinct camps, around half the members phase in time with a track that crushes the area and the other half have a late or very sloppy phase and it scoots east and weaker out to sea...it creates a mean that shifts east but i see two distinct scenarios on the gefs.  i'd say it's a 40% win run for the gefs.  

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I think that precip cut back because the GEFS shifted the super west members back towards the BM. Precip along the coast remained almost constant, while precip for far NW regions decreased (most likely because of the decrease of coast huggers). Also, it looks like there are slight timing differences between the members in the 00z.

00z

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_12.png

18z

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_13.png

Agree

GEFS gives NYC around 12 inches with more just to the west

2 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

the lean on the gefs makes it look like two distinct camps, around half the members phase in time with a track that crushes the area and the other half have a late or very sloppy phase and it scoots east and weaker out to sea...it creates a mean that shifts east but i see two distinct scenarios on the gefs.  i'd say it's a 40% win run for the gefs.  

Yea it's not really a matter of the GEFS shifting east or west, it's a matter of timing. On the 18z they all were clustered for the most part around a certain latitude at that time, on the 00z there are half that would get the phase in time and half that are extremely progressive.

8 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Yea it's not really a matter of the GEFS shifting east or west, it's a matter of timing. On the 18z they all were clustered for the most part around a certain latitude at that time, on the 00z there are half that would get the phase in time and half that are extremely progressive.

But why is it one extreme or the other why doesn't the Ensemble show partial phase camp ?

Archived