Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

9 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

06Z NAM looks pretty darn good.....temps at the surface are still meh hovering around 32 need that a few degrees colder but at this point realistically a general 1-3" event would be more than any of us should reasonable expect....

Considering MBY was showing zilch not too many runs ago, I would gladly take 5-6 inches.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF snow probs are highest (>50%) along the VA boarder counties up in to southern VA. Looking at the Candian members and the late bloomer UK, sig but 24hrs slower), my guess is we see the guidance back off accumulating type at 12z, similar the to overnight Euro.  While I don't have access to the EPS, I doubt the op is an outlier in its suite at this range.

Just a word of caution: Typically the clown maps are overdone..how much more is that so here? It's mid March after a very warm winter. It seems to me it will have to snow very heavily for a length of time to achieve any sort of accumulation. Unless something changes, this type of quick-hitter won't get it done. 

9 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The WPC probabilistic forecast looks pretty good for NC through 12Z Sunday.  

Was just looking at that, I think if the Euro gets on board with the other models we see those percentages climb, the only reason they are not higher is the weak Euro solution.

38 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

SREF snow probs are highest (>50%) along the VA boarder counties up in to southern VA. Looking at the Candian members and the late bloomer UK, sig but 24hrs slower), my guess is we see the guidance back off accumulating type at 12z, similar the to overnight Euro.  While I don't have access to the EPS, I doubt the op is an outlier in its suite at this range.

I look for totals to increase today! As shortwaves get sampled and models figure this bomb out!!

3 hours ago, downeastnc said:

06Z NAM looks pretty darn good.....temps at the surface are still meh hovering around 32 need that a few degrees colder but at this point realistically a general 1-3" event would be more than any of us should reasonable expect....

Yeah nice 06z GFS and NAM runs for the Charlotte to Raleigh to Greenville, NC crowd.  Hard to expect more than a light event all things considered.  Note again that met poster snowgoose has talked about how the Euro nowadays tends to be suppressed in the medium range, so wouldn't be surprised to see it sharpen the wave a bit as we get closer.

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah nice 06z GFS and NAM runs for the Charlotte to Raleigh to Greenville, NC crowd.  Hard to expect more than a light event all things considered.  Note again that met poster snowgoose has talked about how the Euro nowadays tends to be suppressed in the medium range, so wouldn't be surprised to see it sharpen the wave a bit as we get closer.

It could be a good hit if we can get temps 28-30 with decent rates and a deepening low right off the SC coast....the low track being flat without a turn up the coast also helps as it should reduce the warm nose chance.....all in all we are sitting pretty decent right now and I am starting to believe....which means the chances of the wheels coming off go way way up. 

RAH busting out  all the March snow catchphrases:

However, model spread remains quite large with the location/track of
the sfc low, which will play a pivotal role in just how much liquid-
equivalent precip will be realized across central NC. Case in point,
the more southern/drier solution of the EC has a tenth to one-
quarter of an inch of liquid equivalent across the forecast area,
one-third the amount of GFS. Using an ensemble approach, the GEFS
indicates a 0.25-0.50" across the area, highest SE. The sfc low
track and associated precip should become better resolved by NWP
models over the next 18 to 24 hours as the aforementioned northern
stream currently moves out of a data sparse region over the Pacific
Ocean and onto the Pacific NW coast.

Additionally, it is important to point out some key contributing
factors that could limit snow chances/amounts across central NC.
1)With the parent high so far removed(centered over south central
Canada), models could be too cold, too quick; which will place even
more emphasis on getting sufficient qpf amounts to diabatically/wet-
bulb cool the low-level to support frozen precip.
2)The system is progressive-quick moving system, which tends to
result in lighter qpf amounts. 3) We are getting very late in the
season with higher sun angles along with the recent historic warmth
resulting in very warm ground temperatures.

Archived