Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

Thanks for NAM report folks--not bad.

and no I do not think we had as much NAM agreement with GFS in the last storm.  Of course it is in the >60hrs range so just looking for trends (potential NW shift, p-type,  etc.) here and not detail at this point.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cold Rain said:

Ok good deal.  I thought we had a run or two that looked good but then it was the first model to trend away.  But I don't remember all that well, so you're probably right...in which case, the 81 hr NAM is encouraging!

Yeah look at the pic I posted above.. that's from the last storm.

VIA Allan on twitter

6 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

READ BOTTOM: NOT FROM THIS STORMIMG_6029.JPGThis was the NAM 4 days out in JANUARY. It was rainy from get go **Rain Cold**

VIA Allan on twitter back in January

CR may be right.  Thought there may have been one deviation run (more SE) but maybe not.

Overall the NAM was unrelenting in it's pursuit of this prediction...like a cannibal chasing a fat kid.

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

CR may be right.  Thought there may have been one deviation run (more SE) but maybe not.

Overall the NAM was unrelenting in it's pursuit of this prediction...like a cannibal chasing a fat kid.

There may have been one that showed snow in RDU around 10-11PM after it had already been raining. The NAM was correct with starting us with rain all along

1 minute ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

There may have been one that showed snow in RDU around 10-11PM after it had already been raining. The NAM was correct with starting us with rain all along

that seems familiar.  It was a fairly close in run--like 36hrs out too I think.

...and why was I thinking earlier the NAM ran every 3hrs---confusing it with the SREF?

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

What hour is that, Grit?

Oh, and when does the north trend start?  Getting about time....

hr84...Sun at 12z.  Regarding the north trend, I mean, the only feather in our cap is maybe the Greenland ridging and solid 50/50 low....better chance to keep something south in that setup...but we all know the climo.  Crazy to be in the ballgame given this winter and March 10 weekend

Why do we look at the clown maps? Just look at the precip maps, the temp fields on a 3-hr basis and cut the numbers in half. It'll be much closer. We also will have to deal with mixing, I guarantee it. Surface temps will be marginal and that's unlikely to change. Plus it's March. So it'll be a slushy wet snow that melts on warm ground. We could eek out a few inches that'll melt the next day.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

hr84...Sun at 12z.  Regarding the north trend, I mean, the only feather in our cap is maybe the Greenland ridging and solid 50/50 low....better chance to keep something south in that setup...but we all know the climo.  Crazy to be in the ballgame given this winter and March 10 weekend

Yeah, that was the problem with the January storm. We had no high pressure to deliver cold, no 50/50 low or Atlantic ridging. This isn't great either, but it's a lot better. I doubt we see a massive north trend unless we get something like the Euro set up where the shortwaves operate in a different order. That could be in our favor (as it is on the Euro, with a single storm that stays south, probably delivering a decent bit of snow).

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Agreed.  The ridging being slower to break down is key here, IMO.

And Widre, everything you just said is correct.

Keep in mind, if 7 inche's of snow falls, and the ground temps skew some of the accumulation, up above the ground in the trees it will be 100 percent paste, esp with 8 to 1 or 10 to 1 ratios. You get on the plus side of 5 inches of this wet heavy snow you best be thinking about alternative power, espeacilly with the early foliage that's come out. Just a fyi

Archived