Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I have a handful of rose-breasted ones every spring. A couple of the females hung around all summer. I've yet to see an evening or pine grosbeak here. The evening ones are fairly common for C/N NE, no?

Have not seen an evening grosbeak at my place in the 19 years since moving here.  Back in budworm days, we'd see 200-300 on the roads as we drove from Ft. Kent thru Allagash and into the woods.  They had a distressing habit of flushing directly into a vehicle's grill; dodging tended to be even more unhealthy for the grosbeak population.  Unfortunately for the forest, grosbeaks are generally a response to budworm rather than a population check.  (Though my entomology professor at U. Maine once commented that budworm was nature's response to an outbreak of balsam fir.)

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I honestly didn't find today that bad. I'd take this over NE winds and rain any day. It was chilly but not cloudy all the time. 

The only redeeming thing today was watching flakes fall off and on at work.  Now walking the dog at home in town and it's a nice 39F drizzle lol.

Hills and mountains obscured in all directions with that sheet of white that's indicative of snow, not fog.  Probably snowing 500ft above me at home lol.  

well... the sun offsetting is your culprit there. 

I'm also noticing the T1 in the FRH grid (NAM) has warmed a deg C in the T1 ever cycle since the remarkable gesture it had of just 6 C at Logan for 18 z Tuesday, back 48 hours ago. That would have been like 45 F for a high under 70% sun in May!   Now? 13 C ... which isn't "balmy" no, but, you gotta realize that T1 still leaves a 20 mb draft underneath to really slope the curve exotically to the surface; and you can bet, that the 2-meter responds to a mid May sun angle.  Light wind, 62 F tomorrow... that's a veritable gem for all intents and purposes - yeah, I guess 72 is ideal but to Scott's point, heh - 

Not really the way run a trashed week.  Granted, we'll bide time and see how that closed low/Coastal gig plays out.  It's possible things gete modulated by diabatic abuse - processed into the troposphere.  Sometime of these spring gyres can fail because of that, and end up just rolling over head without drilling much into the lower levels because of the starved baroclinicity from that normalizing.   ...Didn't work too well in 2005, but it can be over pigged in models at this range too 

edit, 10 tomorrow, 13 wednesday.   

29 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Nice.

I'm giving it my all this year.  Going to buy oranges and grape jelly and everything.

Then I'll watch the ants eat it all. :cry: 

I hear the catbird meows this evening too. Just need my RBG now. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How high up is that?

First photo is from near 2,000ft and the second is roughly 1,700ft.  This is just up the road from the turn-off into the ski resort.  There was just a trace on car windshields at 1,500ft at the office.  So that was the gradient.  You can tell the first pic is decently snowier than the second, funny how every couple hundred feet makes a difference on the gradient line.

For those with snow-line fetishes, here's a shot from this morning of Smugglers Notch ski resort from the overnight snow.  This afternoon's burst dropped the snow level down to the road but last night it was a bit higher up, leaving that two-season look of spring down low and winter up high.

18320815_10102979304446870_2912794055666

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First photo is from near 2,000ft and the second is roughly 1,700ft.  This is just up the road from the turn-off into the ski resort.  There was just a trace on car windshields at 1,500ft at the office.  So that was the gradient.  You can tell the first pic is decently snowier than the second, funny how every couple hundred feet makes a difference on the gradient line.

Well if it's gonna be cold, might as well get snow out of it. Pretty cool.

Archived