Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That's the event I was talking with Ji about yesterday.  It is Friday night, correct?  I think yesterday I said Thursday night because for whatever reason I thought Friday was the 4th.

The NAM and GGEM also hinted at a possibility for some very light precip with this wave. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Unless the weekend deal can shift back to a more dominant ss vort, I'm no longer interested in anything for a while. It's become more than tiresome at this point discussing beyond the medium range because anything we discuss beyond that range morphs into something other than good once we is close inside of a week. Just one of those years I suppose. Not particularly uncommon. 

We have been spoiled over the last couple of years

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

It looks like a very weak low though, and we all know the end result won't look anything like this anyway.

Eager to see the eps in a couple hours! This would be first run in range for such a system. :)

No signal of a storm whatsoever from the 12z eps for hr 240. 

eps_mslpaNorm_nhem_11 Jan 31_2017.png

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is our biggest problem and best hope all in one. The suddenly shift to crap in the medium range happened right as the mjo trended towards more amplitude into warm phases. But it's also spiking into cold by day 11. 

IMG_0502.GIF

And it was 2 days ago, 3 at the most, that the prog was to stay in the circle of death until emerging in a good phase. We all need to lose the link to this site and come back when it's cloudy and the snow starts falling. lol

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

And it was 2 days ago, 3 at the most, that the prog was to stay in the circle of death until emerging in a good phase. We all need to lose the link to this site and come back when it's cloudy and the snow starts falling. lol

I don't think that was the case. I stand corrected.  The strong amplitude being modeled for this period is notable.

16 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Except that the trend is towards a stronger mjo wave and that is hurting us in the short term. But if we do get a string mjo wave it will help once it moves into better phases. The mjo was always edging close to hurting us first but was teetering run to run or model to model. The sudden flip to consensus in a stronger wave in bad phases on all guidance was when our look deteriorated also. Not coincidence.  But it's logical then to say a stronger mjo wave into 8 in 11 days would help. So it's a double edged sword. 

On 1/29/2017 at 0:39 PM, psuhoffman said:

Specifics will shift around at range but the general larger features haven't been as bad. I think the extraordinary success from range last January plus some of those storms in 2009/10 have given unrealistic expectations of long range guidance. Those all happened in extremely stable blocking patterns with an stj dominant storm track. What's happening this year is more typical. Think back to 2013/14. How many of those snows were locked in more then 72 hours out?  I remember most trended significantly in the short ranges. But we didn't complain about the models issues because it was snowing every few days all winter so who cares. When there is no snow and we are frustrated we nitpick everything.  To me the shifts run to run on the feb 6 threat are within the envelope of what I would expect in the 6-10 day range. 

I am really glad chased that blizzard in the delmarva a few weeks back.  ...

EPS has several MASSIVE hits, all in some form or another after the cold front associated with the Low of Sauron day 9-12. Some anafront action. Also some members with the trailing piece of energy out of the gulf after the aforementioned low.

One member has what looks like a bull's-eye of 30"+ all from one storm (day 9-12).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just now, paulythegun said:

EPS has several MASSIVE hits, all in some form or another after the cold front associated with the Low of Sauron day 9-12. Some anafront action. Also some members with the trailing piece of after aforementioned low.

One member has what looks like a bull's-eye of 30"+ all from one storm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What about the mean?

51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Except that the trend is towards a stronger mjo wave and that is hurting us in the short term. But if we do get a string mjo wave it will help once it moves into better phases. The mjo was always edging close to hurting us first but was teetering run to run or model to model. The sudden flip to consensus in a stronger wave in bad phases on all guidance was when our look deteriorated also. Not coincidence.  But it's logical then to say a stronger mjo wave into 8 in 11 days would help. So it's a double edged sword. 

I was commenting on the trustworthiness of the MJO forecasts.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived