joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

@mitchnick

What's the lag time from a trough setting up in Japan to one setting up on the east coast? 3-5 days? That would make your window day 10-12. Want to call it now?

ecmwf_z500a_nh_29_75.png

Welp, first we have to see if it's transient or not. We've had it before this winter,  but its been transient.  Otoh, this is the deepest one so far this year,  so let's see. I do believe that it takes 7 days or so.

12 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

It's always the period after. Like Bob Chill said earlier. Better to concentrate on this Sunday only.

Yep! Given how the LR has proven to be more erratic that usual, seems like there should be a separate thread for the medium range (like a 5-7 day thread), lol Because inside of that range seems to be the only useful thing atm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the LR this year hasn't been able to pick up on something in the pattern this year!)

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro ens looking really good for the weekend irt to snow chances in general. Really backing away from the idea of the ns vort screwing everything up.  Many solutions similar to the gfs, some big hits, and some whiff souths. Crappy rain solutions in the clear minority. 

I'm actually feeling this one. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro ens looking really good for the weekend irt to snow chances in general. Really backing away from the idea of the ns vort screwing everything up.  Many solutions similar to the gfs, some big hits, and some whiff souths. Crappy rain solutions in the clear minority. 

What some good news?  Blasphemous!  Ground should be decently cold this time.

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The euro just made a big jump towards the best solution we can really hope for in this setup which is a gfs type result. And it's been wildly jumpy after day 7 lately.  Not taking any more from it. 

Definitely a better look. Better high placement. Signs of CAD. Slightly better ridging behind. And a more pronounced trough. 

Edit: And after just reading Bob's post realized I missed one. No GL low.

IMG_0492.PNG

IMG_0493.PNG

This is the euro initialization and 24 hours from now.  Looks pretty good. And pretty close to the look 2 weeks ago for now that got some of us hopeful. But it didn't produce anything of significance. A weak clipper and some squalls. But that doesn't mean the guidance busted.  We got a better pattern. Doesn't mean it will snow. We strike out a lot in good patterns. It's kinda like having a better hitter at bat vs a pitcher. So our odds went from 10% to 30% but it still takes multiple at bats to get a hit sometimes. Problem this year was the best hitters we had we're only batting 270 and only got two at bats. Now we have a 300 hitter but he just struck out his first at bad. This time it looks like we get another at bat and perhaps two before a break. Hopefully another reload and not a long string of pitchers at bat after. But we wasted so much of winter with no shot that it feels more urgent when we waste a decent pattern. But just because it didn't snow doesn't make the long range guidance that showed this general thing wrong. We can't predict those specifics like what relatively small area will get lucky and end up with white ground from any single event from that far out. If your over in southern NJ with 4" right now your thinking they nailed it. 

I feel like our lack of snow and lack of many opportunities is affecting our impression of the models performance. They have had issues but nothing monumentally bad imo. They seem worse when we cherry pick the handful of long range op runs that show snow and expect that. But what about all the runs that had a miss?  This next storm is the first where a majority consensus showed snow so if it goes to complete crap that would be a legit failure. But it's still a threat so we can't say that yet. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's kinda like having a better hitter at bat vs a pitcher. So our odds went from 10% to 30% but it still takes multiple at bats to get a hit sometimes. Problem this year was the best hitters we had we're only batting 270 and only got two at bats. Now we have a 300 hitter but he just struck out his first at bad.

Yeah, this winter it seems we always have to face the meteorological equivalent of Madison Bumgarner or John Lester whenever our good hitters (pattern) come up!!  Maybe this time we can get to face the weak part of the bullpen with runners on base! :D

16 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Was that one with the models consistently having it up until 4 days or so before and then a 18z run took it to Chicago?

No, it was the one where a sweet northern stream vort was going to track the Midwest and right below us. But every single model run from like 96 hours in was a slight relaxation of confluence until it tracked through pa and dumped on SNE like they actually needed another storm by then. Lol

Eta: yes, we're talking about the same storm. I misread. I was thinking chiagco cutter when I first read your post. Lol. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived