Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

They should really change that graphic so it doesn't read "storm watch".

Ha. I think ur confusing/conflating venues there.   ... 99% of the public reads that as "monitoring a possible storm," which is entirely valid for public consumption. 

We could get into the semantics of what qualifies as a 'storm' versus 'just a snow fall' but less meaningfully different to public consumption too.

Have to remember: this forum and its users is a teeny tiny special interest group that occasionally aligns it's understanding next to AMS glossary definitions - a latter source that over 99% of the public doesn't even know exists...

Least that's how "I" interpret storm watch headers on weather personality animations -

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What a tough call north of pike. Could easily be several inches of snow, but when you need to wetbulb the 925-850 layer in order to get snow...it makes for a tough forecast. 

I didn't think the EURO was too much warmer...more less dynamic....but the two do go hand-in-hand.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha. I think ur confusing/conflating venues there.   ... 99% of the public reads that as "monitoring a possible storm," which is entirely valid for public consumption. 

We could get into the semantics of what qualifies as a 'storm' versus 'just a snow fall' but less meaningfully different to public consumption too.

Have to remember: this forum and its users is a teeny tiny special interest group that occasionally aligns it's understanding next to AMS glossary definitions - a latter source that over 99% of the public doesn't even know exists...

Least that's how "I" interpret storm watch headers on weather personality animations -

Since they also post graphics that identify official watches, warnings, and advisories, when they're up, it's a problem.  

It doesn't help their cause since it's likely going to bust low.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I'm not sure why so many are bucking the EURO inside of day 3.

It's just a close call. I can see being careful because you are also depending on dynamics to help cool the column and get snow. If the 12z stuff cools and 12z euro op holds....then I think nrn MA will get decent snow from this. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's just a close call. I can see being careful because you are also depending on dynamics to help cool the column and get snow. If the 12z stuff cools and 12z euro op holds....then I think nrn MA will get decent snow from this. 

Yea....the EURO can develop systems too quickly..

Just now, White Rain said:

Strange BOX is really just pushing the the ice component of this storm. They don't even mention the possibility of this busting on the snowier side - despite model support.  You would think they would at least address the possibility.

Some snow is possible at the very beginning but feel it will be brief for two reasons: 1) the warm intrusion around H8 is already pushing N/E across the region into NH at onset of precipitation, and 2) drier air within the mid levels is not far behind, eroding moisture within the dendritic growth zone around roughly midnight. Mainly rain for the coastal regions.

I'm hedging toward climo with this.....my locale normally errs cold in the mid levels...but if its a low level issue, then I'm usually cooked.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Dave was flying under the eeyore radar for years.  Now it's out in the open.

If I had to shovel all of the snow that you guys said I was going to get but didn't happen...

I think I have been pretty reasonable with my calls lately.  For that last decent storm I busted lower than my panic call...I was lured by the NAMs siren song

Archived