Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The obligatory 12km NAM snow map.  These snow maps aren't meant to depict reality, but will show the overall summary.

IMG_4474.PNG

Be careful with WeatherBell clown maps as they're counting sleet as snow and multiplying the sleet liquid equivalent by 10 or by the Kuchera ratio when in fact sleet is like a 1 to 1 ratio. Tropical Tidbids suffers from this issue as well. The problem is that the model grids count sleet as snow, so unless the sleet is filtered out, the clown maps will erroneously count sleet as accumulated snow.

Pivotal Weather's algorithm filters out the sleet and only counts accumulated snow, so it is much more realistic. While I'm not implying the NAM is going to verify verbatim, I just want to raise caution when using these maps. Note the difference here in W MA and S VT between WxBell and Pivotal Weather.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.09.42 PM.png

19 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Be careful with WeatherBell clown maps as they're counting sleet as snow and multiplying the sleet liquid equivalent by 10 or by the Kuchera ratio when in fact sleet is like a 1 to 1 ratio. Tropical Tidbids suffers from this issue as well. The problem is that the model grids count sleet as snow, so unless the sleet is filtered out, the clown maps will erroneously count sleet as accumulated snow.

Pivotal Weather's algorithm filters out the sleet and only counts accumulated snow, so it is much more realistic. While I'm not implying the NAM is going to verify verbatim, I just want to raise caution when using these maps. Note the difference here in W MA and S VT between WxBell and Pivotal Weather.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.09.42 PM.png

Happy Ice storm Mitch

zr_acc.us_ne.png

16 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

WWA up for NCT.  Box AFD still hitting ice the hsrdest and likes elevation but the advisory includes the valley. Seems like a low impact event overall here unless temps run a bit cooler than what most models are showing.

I'm surprised to see advisories up so early.  They must be bored.

GYX showing all snow for me up there. 

Archived