• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 9-10 Rain/Snow System

Hoosier

After a prolonged break in accumulating snow for a large chunk of the area, it looks like the next chance will be coming up early to middle next week.  As it currently stands, this system looks like a snow to rain producer over a large swath (all rain farther south and all snow farther north) with decent amounts possible.   Some indication of an attempt to end as snow in the areas that change over from snow to rain but it's too far out for those details.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WxMatt21 said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for our first big snow event where it starts and ends as snow, followed by at least a week of cold air to keep it in place. Shouldn't be too much to ask for in January! 

Right?

We got lucky and had some snow stick around for a while out this way (last month).  And probably got a solid inch today in South Bend.  Not much accumulation considering it snowed almost all day.

44 minutes ago, ryanZHP said:

Right?

We got lucky and had some snow stick around for a while out this way (last month).  And probably got a solid inch today in South Bend.  Not much accumulation considering it snowed almost all day.

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be complaining. Fort Wayne did see 6-7" of snow on Dec 11th, and it stuck around for a couple of weeks, but the event still transitioned into a little sleet/freezing drizzle before shutting off completely. 

That nail-biting, sloppy mix trend looks to continue for a little while longer, it seems. This next event included. Helps you're in NW Indiana, though. Odds are usually in your favor!

5 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Cautiously optimistic for a few inches.

(A few inches) at the north central latitudes of IA are what current ensembles are depicting, with +-1 inch here. GFS/Canadian however is much less generous and warmer. I am definitely not holding my breath on this one since models would have to trend south for us to see anything worthwhile. Any northward tick and we're out of luck. At 4 days out the next few runs will determine whether or not I'm willing to keep following up :).

Not expecting much snow here Monday night into Tuesday (probably just enough to whiten the ground) but it looks like an adventurous progression in weather conditions.  After starting as snow, big time warm-up on Tuesday with 50F not out of the question.  Then potentially a change back to snow Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not expecting much snow here Monday night into Tuesday (probably just enough to whiten the ground) but it looks like an adventurous progression in weather conditions.  After starting as snow, big time warm-up on Tuesday with 50F not out of the question.  Then potentially a change back to snow Wednesday.

The modis operandi for winter storms 2016-17  in this part of the subforum, only this time the arctic air doesn't plunge in behind (other than Minnesota) as the flow remains zonal.

5 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Looking like the roads around here could be a mess tomorrow morning

Yep, expecting a slow-go on 94 for sure. The ground has actually frozen a little bit too. Saw some frost depths reported up to 7" which wasn't the case last month. Those two systems worked with warm ground which meant that the road salt was much more effective as temps rose to and above freezing. Expecting a little different result this go-around. Will just be nice to see the first synoptic flakes falling in 23 days here.

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Picked up 0.3".  First measurable snow since way back on December 17th lol.  Brings us over the 14" threshold.

I didn't know you guys have been doing so "well" snowfall wise compared to down here. As of now my total stands at 2.4" for the season. What a crazy crazy pattern this week. Going from sub zero, to near record highs, to a possible historic ice storm in 7 day period. 

2 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I didn't know you guys have been doing so "well" snowfall wise compared to down here. As of now my total stands at 2.4" for the season. What a crazy crazy pattern this week. Going from sub zero, to near record highs, to a possible historic ice storm in 7 day period. 

Yep, about 70% of that season total occurred on December 4th lol.  Hopefully you guys rake it in during the last half of the season.  Still a long way to go, but would be nice if it didn't wait until March lol.  

36 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Looks like freezing rain and/or snow will be a nuisance for northern Ohio and southern Michigan tonight. The freezing rain may be quite dangerous for people driving before the temperatures increase above freezing tomorrow morning.

Could have some lag time between air temps and ground temps.

Archived