joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 15-18 Arctic Front/Snow Thump/Meltdown to the Border

HoarfrostHubb

35 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Lol!!!

Nice.....make for great pictures. 

Nice.  We stalled at 10.  Clouds encroaching,  ftw.  I don't like Ray 's exhaust comment.  I'm sticking get with the "highest amount" map from BOX showing my 8".  And I'm not talking about my avatar.   :)

Who are you? Pete Bouchard? 

I think he quoted 9" though.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh yeah, we'll torch John. Sunday morning Toucan Sam will be at my bird feeder.

right - all i dared say is don't be too wooed by the cold now .. .and immediately, this cackle back that's not really even necessitated. oh well - ... 

having said that, i'm actually wondering if it will at this point...ahahahaha.   

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You've seen it.  Lucky!  Never had the opportunity 

yeah, jokes aside it was in the end of January, 1994 - your favorite winter as memory serves - so yeah, you lived it too :) 

I'll try to dig up the charts.  i've told this story a half dozen times though so not going to bother doing it again.  it's just that seeing a dawn 9 F in light snow end the day as 62 F gales to 50 mph from the S is an experience in short duration change one is not likely to forget. 

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeeeah, okay - if you say so. 

the 'music' of the forum isn't conveying that same melody, Ray -come on. it's not a difficult read when when you see a constant stream of 'this cold means business' type content, based on a present thermometer ob - there's no other reason to say things like that other than to believe it has some special resistance to warming.  

it may - look, i'm not doubting the agreement between the RGEM and NAM ..and the trend of the others.  i'm just saying 'in general' it's possible. and should it warm more in the end than presently believed or wanted, there's a dying hope folks won't get grousy about it. 

word

i think pretty much everybody here, even NNE'ers understand that Sunday is going to warm up. i haven't seen anyone deny that, even your buddy in Tolland. but i think you are confusing what people are saying about Saturday being a colder solution. ie: many posters BYs will be cooler on saturday during the bulk of the precip, but come saturday night and sunday, it is torch away. but please...preach on about how we aren't getting it but you are.

2 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i think pretty much everybody here, even NNE'ers understand that Sunday is going to warm up. i haven't seen anyone deny that, even your buddy in Tolland. but i think you are confusing what people are saying about Saturday being a colder solution. ie: many posters BYs will be cooler on saturday during the bulk of the precip, but come saturday night and sunday, it is torch away. but please...preach on about how we aren't getting it but you are.

probably am - sure.  i don't speak that special insider dialect that's common to this particular subforum's parlance.  that's code for being on the outside look in. 

i think also that the warmth is retarded even over present consensus - if that's not hypocritical enough... haha. 

but seriously, that weird cold back into BOS is typically a sign that the bl will resist to the last plausible moment - 

The biggest change in guidance over the last 48-60 hours has been instead of a front end thump to immediate 35F and 45F rain and then 55F rain not long after...the evolution has morphed into a more prolonged in situ CAD event aided by the meso low...so most of Saturday away from the south coast and SE MA could be quite cold and even hazerdous on Saturday evening with freezing drizzle in the dry slot...previously late Saturday afternoon and evening had looked quite warm. We still are going to warm sector, but it just appears to be delayed now by 6-10 hours versus prior morphology. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The biggest change in guidance over the last 48-60 hours has been instead of a front end thump to immediate 35F and 45F rain and then 55F rain not long after...the evolution has morphed into a more prolonged in situ CAD event aided by the meso low...so most of Saturday away from the south coast and SE MA could be quite cold and even hazerdous on Saturday evening with freezing drizzle in the dry slot...previously late Saturday afternoon and evening had looked quite warm. We still are going to warm sector, but it just appears to be delayed now by 6-10 hours versus prior morphology. 

How long in 50's?

Man, I keep harping on it but if we had the high more north of Maine, this would be a real doozy...prob almost double the qpf and a zero percent chance of warm sectoring. 

It is impressive enough as it is that this will produce pretty solid snowfall accumulations with such a retreating seaward high pressure. Of course, the antecedent airmass has a lot to do with that. 

The question for me up here is how long does the CAD hold?  I always overperform with it.  Greens warm up and even up to Concord NH but it never seems to get here.  First wave is obviously all snow but wonder how long we stay below 32F with the second round?  That is the question up here.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Any mine are here: http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather/stories/Thump-of-Snow-Followed-by-Ice-407149855.html

I agree with what Will posted earlier. Definitely a nice cold tuck modeled now and I think we really do get a good thump on the nose of that LLJ. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I feel like SW CT near the coast is going to do well. They should hold the cold just a few miles from the water.

I was pretty close to bringing our 4-6" band all the way down to New Haven about 30 seconds before our 4 p.m. news started but held off. 

I agree I think that we get a pretty good thump in most areas. Up here we may go from snow to freezing drizzle... especially around BDL. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

agreed .. what's interesting is that secondary - it's like without it, the damming would sort of remain hidden.. 

doesn't sound very right no, but... there's almost no antecedent CAD signature in the pressure pattern and it only shows up as that secondary deepens in relation to it - makes it hard to know which came first.  weird look there 

58 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, I keep harping on it but if we had the high more north of Maine, this would be a real doozy...prob almost double the qpf and a zero percent chance of warm sectoring. 

It is impressive enough as it is that this will produce pretty solid snowfall accumulations with such a retreating seaward high pressure. Of course, the antecedent airmass has a lot to do with that. 

Tmw verifies as forecasted, then I'm happy with this month....no complaints.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

fairly certain the following opine won't register and/or just irate some ... but, don't be fooled by how cold it was last night and today. 

granted, this is a unique scenario that may very well succeed in actually 'winning' against a deep layer SW flow (...mainly because we have a weak (but strong enough) secondary...) but, it is possible flip some 50 F in as little as 12 hours given the right circumstance.  i know - i've seen it.  

Didn't we do that in the cold snap last year?

Archived