joxey
December Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

How deep is it?  That would matter.

I don't even need to look at soundings. We need leeway with strong sw flow like we're going to have and the high running away like a sissy does us no favors. There is little to no leeway being shown today. It's all on the edge. It's easy to forecast our area when things are marginal. Go with the lower end of guidance and keep up the batting average. The problem with the CMC is it's already low verbatim so reality would be worse. I'm just discussing model output though. Of course things can trend better but right now it's looking pretty blah in the snow dept

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

I have the text output from Accuwx. that gives me something to go by but it's still a guess.

cool, thanks. would be nice if we could hold the cold longer and flip later, but i'll take whatever we can get at this point!

Starting today I am splitting the Saturday thing off from my general comments on the long range since its now getting close enough to look at it in a bit more detail on its own.  Looking just at Saturday things are sort of bleeding the wrong way from where we want it and has been for about 60 hours now if you take the entire 5 runs including ensembles as a whole.  That said, we are still 4 days out and things are close enough that we are in the game for a small to moderate event.  None of us was expecting it but the odds of a more significant event like a few of those euro runs showed is almost dead.  The low is just going to track too far NW and the high is a little southeast of where we need it for that.  But we could still pull a moderate thump surprise out of this if things trend our way in the next few days.  Like I said a while ago keep it close going into the final 48 hours and were still in the game.  As of now its still close.  The trends our not our friend, right now taken as a whole the guidance would indicate the best zone for a decent snow would be just north of our area.  But trends can flip at any moment and plenty of times in the last few years these types of situations trended south in the final few days.  As the system comes across there is really not much resistance to the WAA across the middle of the country.  The center of the cold is way too far east by that time and there is no help from the topography there.  But once east of the Apps suddenly both topography and the proximity of the departing high/cold creates enough resistance from the arctic boundary to create the lift necessary for a zone of decent snow to break out.  Worrying too much about exact location of the warm layer and minor adjustments run to run of a 1 degree warm layer.  The way this always goes is wherever the heavy precip breaks out along the boundary of WAA overrunning will get a quick thump.  The heavy precip will aid in dynamic cooling and keep the column cold just long enough for MOST of that heavy precip zone to do good.  Focus on where the models put that feature as we get closer.  Even once they get a decent idea of the general area, where exactly the heavy band sets up is a nowcast thing.  It will be a relatively small area that gets something good and most around there get a very minor event.  Keep us in the general area and we have a shot.  Right now just north of us is favored but its not decided by any measure. 

Below you can see the low to our west is just a bit northwest of where we want it for a good WAA thump snow, the high is quite a bit southeast of where we need it, and too much energy hanging back slowing down the progress east as the cold retreats.  Those 3 are working against us here.  Still all of that still has time to trend a bit better and the cold is sufficient enough to give us a chance at something just on that alone. 

Saturday.png

Archived