joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waves on boundaries are best not picked apart at long leads. The real estate they cover is tiny and the edges are sharp. They can hit nice though. We had one in Jan 14 IIRC but it didn't really show us in the game until 3-4 day leads. It wobbled all over guidance before that. I expect this one to do the same through this weekend. Hopefully the stars align 

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Waves on boundaries are best not picked apart at long leads. The real estate they cover is tiny and the edges are sharp. They can hit nice though. We had one in Jan 14 IIRC but it didn't really show us in the game until 3-4 day leads. It wobbled all over guidance before that. I expect this one to do the same through this weekend. Hopefully the stars align 

Let's just do both.  Sat and the following wave.

I really can't wait to compare this mornings run to Fridays run.  We are still in this.  Yeah we're behind in the fourth quarter but it's not insides kick and Hail Mary time yet.

46 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree.  I just am liking the trends... let's see if it continues on the 00z GFS

I told you yesterday that you would do well.

If I can't get much I hope at least you guys do.

Thanks! I know my kiddo would be happy about it. She picked out new snow boots, but I said she couldn't have them until Christmas...unless it snows.

GFS continues to shift everything north a little bit each run.  It's been doing it a while, 5 runs ago it actually had the best snows to the southwest of DC, now its way up to our northeast.  We finally ran out of room for any more adjustments and so this one shifted things pretty much north of us.  Yea still a little something but if this trend continues this might very well turn into absolutely nothing, the entire WAA precip shield could end up going to our north and we dry slot before we even get anything.  Like bob I am kinda losing interest in this one. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

GFS continues to shift everything north a little bit each run.  It's been doing it a while, 5 runs ago it actually had the best snows to the southwest of DC, now its way up to our northeast.  We finally ran out of room for any more adjustments and so this one shifted things pretty much north of us.  Yea still a little something but if this trend continues this might very well turn into absolutely nothing, the entire WAA precip shield could end up going to our north and we dry slot before we even get anything.  Like bob I am kinda losing interest in this one. 

That was my biggest concern a few days ago.getting dry slotted as precip gets shot to out north 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

You mean 15z

no 12z, this is 850 at 12z and keep in mind there is a warm layer above this level as well.  All the guidance continues to shift the thermal profiles north each run.  Were losing this one at this point if the trend doesn't reverse soon.  Still time to see things shift back but another few jumps north and it won't matter.  shotprofile.png

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

That was my biggest concern a few days ago.getting dry slotted as precip gets shot to out north 

yes, but keep in mind that and the temps go hand in hand.  The reason the precip is going to our north is because the entire thermal boundary is shifting north, the precip is a result of the WAA hitting the cold boundary and being forced up and over creating lift.  Overrunning...  No cold, no resistance, no lift.  If were not into the deep enough cold air the warm air just pushed it out of the way and the lift isnt significant enough to create much precip.  Some flurries and snizzle but the real stuff goes north along the boundary of the true cold air.  The whole thing is shifting north not just the precip.  The real problem is the temp profile, but that has been the problem this whole pattern.  Remember 10 days ago how cold this looked.  We had a couple days below normal, otherwise its been about normal the last week...now we will have 2 truly cold days, then back to normal or slightly above.  The cold has been overestimated constantly by the guidance over and over again. 

Archived