joxey
December Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ji said:

We are going to strike out on every event. You just know it's happening 

I don't think so... tomorrow nights "threat" only recently showed up for a dusting to half inch of snow... we toss Fri night into Sat... and we now root for the CF to move its @$$ for Late Sunday into Monday chance

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

Cold front took too long... but the ensembles were playing up the threat from the past 2 cycles... so lets see what the 00z ensembles show

When I dug into that period a bit more, a LOT of that digital snow was actually freezing rain.  I am not sure how much of a signal there is for much snow there really.  A signal for some very marginal icing, like 32 and rain, maybe.  A few members did have a decent look for snow, but not as good as that snow mean appeared, and those kind of trailing wave setups fail more often then not.  Its our next best chance, but don't get your hopes up. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

I don't think so... tomorrow nights "threat" only recently showed up for a dusting to half inch of snow... we toss Fri night into Sat... and we now root for the CF to move its @$$ for Late Sunday into Monday chance

Not so sure we can end as snow Sunday evening, but a bit of ice could be possible on the GFS verbatim. It has a piece of the 1040+ high over Iowa split off and form a 1030+mb high in southern Canada. This would allow "cold" air to get here faster with NE wind as opposed to NW wind. That's our only chance. I never feel comfortable about the rain to snow here in the Mid-Atlantic due to those blasted mountains. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

When I dug into that period a bit more, a LOT of that digital snow was actually freezing rain.  I am not sure how much of a signal there is for much snow there really.  A signal for some very marginal icing, like 32 and rain, maybe.  A few members did have a decent look for snow, but not as good as that snow mean appeared, and those kind of trailing wave setups fail more often then not.  Its our next best chance, but don't get your hopes up. 

Interesting because even on AmWx, the ensemble members were showing the QPF up as snow... the thickness levels were all south of DC... guess we shall see

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

Right on queue....cmc looks amazing 

hate to pop your bubble but the precip type algorithms are all messed up (and that's not even close to the biggest problem with the GGEM) because it says its still snowing across the whole area at 12z but this is the 850 temps...hmm.  Its not really that good.nosnowforyou.pngat's  

Archived