Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pretty epic ride home similar to the pictures Bob posted, I knew immediately that a bust low was in progress over SMAINE as it was just dumping with the temp dropping quickly. 

It's pretty easy to bust a forecast when you don't look at any obs before producing said forecast.

Rip and readers FTL.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha and now pouring sleet mixed with some flakes.  Rarely get these events where the 0C basically stalls over us...that's reserved for south of the Pike lol.  

Pretty fun watching it go back and forth.

24MAR17A.gif

It’s heading back south now as you can see on the radar.  We stopped in at Bolton tonight for some turns and it was great – temp was right around 32, no wind, and lots of snow.  Flakes varied from granular types all the way up to massive 1” aggregates, and the snow surface was dense, buttery powder with a really good shot of resurfacing liquid equivalent in it.

Event totals: 5.4” Snow/0.82” L.E.

No wonder yesterday’s skiing felt like there had been such a solid resurfacing; we were already past ¾” of liquid equivalent at the house snow, and up high they’d certainly had more.  The precipitation down at the house eventually got back to all snow, but there was certainly some sleet earlier as the density of the 11:00 P.M. stack would suggest.  I’ve got the 11:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. observations from the storm below:

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.34 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.9

Snow Density: 34.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Snow (2-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

I’ve added a few shots from skiing yesterday evening at Bolton Valley – they’re reporting 6-9” in the past 24 hours, and based on 0.82” of liquid equivalent thus far down at our place, I suspect they’ve had over an inch of water in this storm.  With the midweek storm added they’re reporting 12-16” new in the past 72 hours.  I’ve got some additional images and details in the full trip report at our website.

24MAR17B.jpg

24MAR17C.jpg

24MAR17D.jpg

Below I’ve got the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event.  The Mad River Glen and Sugarbush reports mention a glaze/crust on the snow, but I’m not seeing any mention of that in Bolton’s report, so there may be a bit of dividing line between the Northern and Central Greens with regard to any notable freezing rain or heavy sleet.  That would be consistent with I-89 being mentioned as a demarcation point with the frontal boundary.  Killington is only reporting an inch of new snow and lift delays due to frozen precipitation, so conditions likely fall off somewhat as one heads farther south.

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 6”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

10 minutes ago, eyewall said:

BTV is at 93.5" on the season after this event. Going to be tough to get to 100" but not impossible. 

I saw that on Facebook.  Fantastic recovery.

It's amazing what a difference 50 miles makes, as here in Orwell, I'm at 55.8 inches for the season.

Just now, ApacheTrout said:

I saw that on Facebook.  Fantastic recovery.

It's amazing what a difference 50 miles makes, as here in Orwell, I'm at 55.8 inches for the season.

Definitely! The Feb overperformers back to back and the Pi Day storm is where most of it fell. 

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Below I’ve got the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event.  The Mad River Glen and Sugarbush reports mention a glaze/crust on the snow, but I’m not seeing any mention of that in Bolton’s report, so there may be a bit of dividing line between the Northern and Central Greens with regard to any notable freezing rain or heavy sleet.  That would be consistent with I-89 being mentioned as a demarcation point with the frontal boundary.  Killington is only reporting an inch of new snow and lift delays due to frozen precipitation, so conditions likely fall off somewhat as one heads farther south.

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 6”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

I had very consistent measurements on the mountain for storm totals at the stakes.

3,000ft was 8.0" exactly (4.0" yesterday and oddly enough 4.0" overnight/after 3pm).

1,550ft was 7.3" (3.8" yesterday and 3.5" overnight/after 3pm)

Very dense snow, I have to imagine we got 0.75-1.0" of total liquid equivalent.  This is a huge shot of frozen moisture for the mountain snowpack though.

Also, you can clearly see the frontal boundary on the COCORAHS reports. 

I had 5.5" total snow at home, fits with the surrounding reports.  You can clearly see a switch from 4-6" to 2-3.5" reports south of I-89.

March_25.gif.e181cb332ce8b6127baf800117af133b.gif

Good shot of liquid too...definitely an overperforming winter event.

March25precip.gif.db47e6e4c438137181e3b6ab8a10e589.gif

34.9F  very light snow..

Gloomy cold day, wintery appeal.  Looks like deep winte!!.  View from 145pm.  Mountain tops obscured in light snow but  light rain below.  I have roughly 90" for the season.  I'm guessing I average in the 80ish for snowfall at my elevation.  Snow cover started in late November.  We had a couple of weeks back in February that I was down to about 25% coverage on my SW slopes but my area  probably never got much below 50% if you account for the forest shade and north slopes.  I am glad all my deer got a break to get some grass before this past month with winter returning.   So 4 months of snow cover is enough.  I'm ready.  Now the wait.  While we get tantalized by spring to our south we wait and wait up here..... 

Yesterday was a really nice event.  5.5" in about 6 hours.  Temp started at 26ish and dropped to 23F.  Most of the snow was dry and temps in the mid 20's.  Around 3pm we went to huge parachutes.  Then to brief sleet and freezing rain.  Evening temps got up to 34F and held that way all night.  Bit of a diurnal rise today but not much with the cool air coming down from the north. Wonder if the next event will have any frozen?   One good thing for sure is I will not be complaining about my pond being low,  well at least till June, right eek?

Snowstake looks like about 7" of durable snow.  It has a crust from freezing rain from last evening.  

Gloom.jpg

The snowbanks have gotten considerably more robust with the 0.75" QPF dense snow/sleet combo.  

It does not look like March 25th...some fun events second half of this month.  Even this week has had 4" with the Arctic FROPA at home and now almost a half a foot of concrete in this latest round of winter.  Never mind the mid-month two day monster storm.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The snowbanks have gotten considerably more robust with the 0.75" QPF dense snow/sleet combo.  

It does not look like March 25th...some fun events second half of this month.  Even this week has had 4" with the Arctic FROPA at home and now almost a half a foot of concrete in this latest round of winter.  Never mind the mid-month two day monster storm.

Making March great again. Fell a little

short here. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm going to be stiff arming little old couples on their way to Florida to try and beat them into that security line in a little over a week.

I'm waving the white flag. I'm done. 1sm320whiteflag.gif

I thought NNE rs were a hardy bunch, heard a lot of boys calling for their Mommas last week.  Deal with it,

Cosgrove 

15 second time lapse of afternoon early evening weather.  Clouds finally moved south.  It's interesting to watch the stationary clouds over the ridges.  I see this on the satellite images a lot. Time lapse makes it really stand out.

Couple more inches of snow coming up tomorrow night?  

https://video.nest.com/clip/612cc4106f8342928ae5174502aba4b8.mp4

Archived