Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Locals are calling the Shinnecock Bunker kill the biggest that that have ever seen.

Thousands of Dead Bunker Piled 2 Feet High in Shinnecock Canal After Massive Fish Kill

http://patch.com/new-york/westhampton-hamptonbays/thousands-dead-bunker-piled-2-feet-high-shinnecock-inlet-after

That's just bunker. Bluefish and striped bass herded them into a tight area (very common) and the bunker panic, get trapped and then die of oxygen depletion (hypoxia).

The predator fish get out sensing low oxygen, which is why you don't see any dead stripers or bluefish. Just bunker, aka menhaden.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ag3 said:

That's just bunker. Bluefish and striped bass herded them into a tight area (very common) and the bunker panic, get trapped and then die of oxygen depletion (hypoxia).

The predator fish get out sensing low oxygen, which is why you don't see any dead stripers or bluefish. Just bunker, aka menhaden.

This was one of the bigger Bunker kills that the locals have seen in that area. The fishing restrictions in the southern states may have played a part

in the Bunker numbers increasing in recent years making a kill his large possible. Once the Blues chased them in there and the locks were closed 

there was no oxygen left.

bigger picture, fishing restrictions in some southern states have allowed menhaden populations to grow in the past two years during which kills have become more common locally."

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

This was one of the bigger Bunker kills that the locals have seen in that area. The fishing restrictions in the southern states may have played a part

in the Bunker numbers increasing in recent years making a kill his large possible. Once the Blues chased them in there and the locks were closed 

there was no oxygen left.

bigger picture, fishing restrictions in some southern states have allowed menhaden populations to grow in the past two years during which kills have become more common locally."

No doubt the stricter rules on the omega 3 bunker boats have made a huge impact for the positive. I have never seen as much bunker as the past 2 years all over NY, NJ and LI. Everywhere. And in return we have dozens of whales, hundreds of dolphin and we are experiencing a fantastic striped bass run this year. Bunker is known to be the most important fish in the ocean. Glad the Omega 3 destroyer boats were cut back.

I'm even seeing whales and dolphin in the western LI sound, which is unheard of. But there is such a great abundance of bunker in there that it can support it. The oceans near NYC and LI are full of whales and dolphin like I've never seen as well.

The bunker population was on the rise even before the restrictions, peanuts have been here (south shore) heavy for the last ten years.                                    The cast netters have a hard time selling them because everybody's catching them. Most of omega's operations are in the GOM most of the bunkers on          the east coast go for bait. Right now i see ones from the size of your thumb to the size in those videos which is great.                                                                                                                                            

20 hours ago, ag3 said:

No doubt the stricter rules on the omega 3 bunker boats have made a huge impact for the positive. I have never seen as much bunker as the past 2 years all over NY, NJ and LI. Everywhere. And in return we have dozens of whales, hundreds of dolphin and we are experiencing a fantastic striped bass run this year. Bunker is known to be the most important fish in the ocean. Glad the Omega 3 destroyer boats were cut back.

I'm even seeing whales and dolphin in the western LI sound, which is unheard of. But there is such a great abundance of bunker in there that it can support it. The oceans near NYC and LI are full of whales and dolphin like I've never seen as well.

It's great to see the whales returning to the western Long Island Sound after such a long absence.

Euro upgrade set for Tuesday.

Latest change (15.11.2016): The implementation date is confirmed as Tuesday 22 November 2016. The first operational run using the new cycle will be the 06 UTC analysis and forecast in the Boundary Conditions Optional Programme on 22 November followed by the 12 UTC main assimilation and forecast. The monthly forecast extension to the ensemble will be run with IFS Cycle 43r1 for the first time on Thursday 24 November 2016.

In order to manage the transition, changes to dissemination requirements will be suspended from 09:00 UTC on 21 November 2016  to 09:00 UTC on 22 November 2016.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

Euro upgrade set for Tuesday.

Latest change (15.11.2016): The implementation date is confirmed as Tuesday 22 November 2016. The first operational run using the new cycle will be the 06 UTC analysis and forecast in the Boundary Conditions Optional Programme on 22 November followed by the 12 UTC main assimilation and forecast. The monthly forecast extension to the ensemble will be run with IFS Cycle 43r1 for the first time on Thursday 24 November 2016.

In order to manage the transition, changes to dissemination requirements will be suspended from 09:00 UTC on 21 November 2016  to 09:00 UTC on 22 November 2016.

I hope it goes back to the old euro where it was right more times than not

2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I noticed something yesterday that I've noticed a few times before in regards to Central Park. Normally it updates every hour but yesterday during the cold front passage it updated every 10-20 mins. Is if programmed to do that or its it updated at the NWS?

When it rains, it automatically updates frequently.

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah it's mostly above freezing but I fly back on Monday when it looks cold and stormy, but I know nothing about the area really. I'm sure a drive to the mountains will yield very different conditions

Check out coure dalene Idaho just east of Spokane. Cool little town. Spokane itself is a bit sleepy.

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah it's mostly above freezing but I fly back on Monday when it looks cold and stormy, but I know nothing about the area really. I'm sure a drive to the mountains will yield very different conditions

Go to Mount Rainier and weenie out.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived