Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

10 hours ago, Dan76 said:

Don't know how they let them build soo close to one another,if there ever was a fire down there when it's windy lookout.                                                                                              My friends house is the same way can almost touch his neighbors out his window

There were several occasions over the years when fires in one house impacted the neighbors since the houses are so close together. The whole West End was originally beach style bungalows built almost touching the neighbors house. Now when people want to expand the size of the houses on their property, they still only have the postage sized stamp piece of land. The parking situation down there is nearly impossible on weekends and during the summer.

The oceanfront homes are now into the millions..

http://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale/1017-Oceanfront-St-Long-Beach-NY-11561-191238275

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys Im sure there are MANY others out here scared to ask these exact same questions for fear of the ridicule-----thats ok I can handle it lol

Thanks for the answers as I have said before trying best I can to pick up on this stuff and some of you guys are very helpful much appreciated. 

keep the updates and info coming !

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

I'm really looking forward to this stretch coming up.  I hope we make out well before a nice warm April sets up B)

I want it to still snow between April 1-10 :) because it still can give us good snowstorms!  It can get warm and hot in the second half of April.....

12 minutes ago, Rjay said:

You shouldn't be nervous or feel like that about asking questions.  Only some people are aholes.

I actually blame the nonintuitive nature of the jargon for this.  Instead of using millibars to describe altitude why not use meters or feet?  That's what they're their for.

9 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Nothing worse than winter wx in spring. Where was all of this a month+ ago?

60°F and sunny right now, maybe it'll happen again in April. :rolleyes:

I want it to snow in the first half of April and then be 90 and sunny in the second half!

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I want it to snow in the first half of April and then be 90 and sunny in the second half!

Switch out April for February and I'd agree lol.

This time of year I hate snow as much as I hate the cold, and my hatred for cold runs deep.

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I actually blame the nonintuitive nature of the jargon for this.  Instead of using millibars to describe altitude why not use meters or feet?  That's what they're their for.

Because we're describing geopotential height, not altitude. They're totally different concepts. Height levels can vary by hundreds of meters.

14 minutes ago, Paragon said:

1915 is the best example of that...10" of snow on the second...91 degrees the end of the month...2003 came close...4" of snow on the 7th...88 degrees later in the month...

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Because we're describing geopotential height, not altitude. They're totally different concepts. Height levels can vary by hundreds of meters.

So, it varies according to the barometric pressure at those altitudes? My bad, I thought it was being used to describe pressure differences and locations of high and low pressure at a standardized altitude.

Just now, uncle W said:

1915 is the best example of that...10" of snow on the second...91 degrees the end of the month...2003 came close...4" of snow on the 7th...88 degrees later in the month...

Yes, I always wondered about that storm.  It gave Philly close to 20"- so it was even more anomalous than April 1982!

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

No 90s in April please. Save that for after memorial day when I'm back life guarding at jones beach!

haha do you remember early April 2010 when we hit 92 on like April 8th?  We were off to the races for the rest of the summer.  And it was sandwiched between two great winters- my favorite kind of weather with all those extremes.

21 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I want it to still snow between April 1-10 :) because it still can give us good snowstorms!  It can get warm and hot in the second half of April.....

I don't mind an April snow, but this year I'd like a warm one start to finish :D

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

haha do you remember early April 2010 when we hit 92 on like April 8th?  We were off to the races for the rest of the summer.  And it was sandwiched between two great winters- my favorite kind of weather with all those extremes.

I remember 1976 and 1977 with 90's in April less that a week after temps 25 and lower...Easter Sunday 1976 was 96 degrees in NYC...hottest day of the year by two degrees...

Just now, uncle W said:

I remember 1976 and 1977 with 90's in April less that a week after temps 25 and lower...Easter Sunday 1976 was 96 degrees in NYC...hottest day of the year by two degrees...

1976 is tainted a bit for me because although there was historic heat in April, it went away before the Summer.  2002 had a nearly identical heatwave in April but the heat had staying power through the summer, and then we had the big el nino snowfall season :) to forget the previous horrible winter 

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived