Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Is this why water pressure is also getting less?

People have to give up the idea that tap water is completely safe- it clearly no longer is.

I put a permanent filter on my water this year and the difference in water quality is night and day.

Elmont is one of the hardest hit areas. Some neighborhoods there have brown water almost all of the time. Water quality really improves as you get closer to the Lynbrook RVC area. But nothing beats LB water from the deepest most pristine aquifer.

http://liherald.com/elmont/stories/Water-quality-hearing-comes-to-a-boil,25114?page=1&

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

how is the pattern unprecendented?  This is not even record cold or that long lasting. And let's not forget 2/9/17....models including the Euro had nothing 5-6 days out....10-15 inches later.....

Its unprecendented because he makes sh*t up.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

hmmmm sounds inviting lol.  Just to be clear, when we talk about sq ftage, we're referring to "finished" area not the "unfinished" basement right?  It doesn't make much of a difference but it increases my sq ftage from 2,200 to 2,400 and my other house went from 2,850 to 3,300.

Yeah.. Finished living space.

Im in the process of upsizing from my 2000 sq ft home and have been on the lookout for properties within my current school district. Im finding plenty of homes built within the last 5 yrs over 3000 sq ft in the 350k-450k range. Many of those same properties are in the 9-11k range for property taxes not to mention tons of land to go with the property. You just can't beat it. 

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Yeah at least you have the courtesy to go back and delete your nonsense afterwards. ;)

thanks - but others don't and the thread will turn into 35 pages in a couple days half of it should be in banter -

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

One of my favorite parts of living in Long Beach beside the beach and boardwalk was the restaurant scene. But places like Farmingdale are quickly developing one of the hottest restaurant scenes on Long Island. It is amazing what they did in just the last few years.

Yea, Farmingdale has really improved. The Nutty Irishman is always a good time...

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Elmont is one of the hardest hit areas. Some neighborhoods there have brown water almost all of the time. Water quality really improves as you get closer to the Lynbrook RVC area. But nothing beats LB water from the deepest most pristine aquifer.

http://liherald.com/elmont/stories/Water-quality-hearing-comes-to-a-boil,25114?page=1&

You see the latest report about drinking water on the island?

http://www.citizenscampaign.org/campaigns/dioxane.asp

Very concerning. 

59 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Guys, just face reality. NYC will not see any measurable snow during this "unprecedented" winter pattern.

As I demonstated last month with another storm threat, when you have the Euro showing a whiff 5 days out, it is unheard of for NYC to receive a snowstorm despite what other models might depict.

All this cold will be wasted and it's a damn shame.

Oh stop lol. Your posts are laughable 

17 minutes ago, snywx said:

Im in the process of upsizing from my 2000 sq ft home and have been on the lookout for properties within my current school district. Im finding plenty of homes built within the last 5 yrs over 3000 sq ft in the 350k-450k range. Many of those same properties are in the 9-11k range for property taxes not to mention tons of land to go with the property. You just can't beat it. 

Damn even just 2 acres would be great.  On Long Island you have to be a multimillionaire to find 2 acres of land with a house like that.

8 minutes ago, psv88 said:

You see the latest report about drinking water on the island?

http://www.citizenscampaign.org/campaigns/dioxane.asp

Very concerning. 

Stupid superfund sites!

But remember, there are no such things as pollutants (or for that matter the EPA) soon enough.

1,4-Dioxane Widespread in Long Island Drinking Water

1,4-Dioxane is an emerging contaminant of concern found in Long Island's groundwater and drinking water. It is a Synthetic Organic Compound (SOC), which is never found in nature. According to CCE's recent evaluation of public water suppliers across Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk water suppliers have reported the highest levels of 1,4-dioxane contamination in the nation. 1,4-Dioxane is listed as "likely to be carcinogenic to humans," with a Lifetime Cancer Risk Guideline for drinking water of 0.35µg/L (micrograms per Liter) by the U.S. EPA. The chemical has been linked to tumors of the liver, kidneys, and nasal cavity. Our interactive map (below) shows the highest detections of 1,4-dioxane in each water district/distribution area across Long Island.

Where Does 1,4-Dioxane Come From?

Legacy Contamination

Originally,1,4-dioxane was used as an industrial solvent stabilizer and could be found widely in paints, primers, varnishes, degreasers, and inks. Although it has been phased out of use in some of these applications, many still contain it. Groundwater plumes that contain the chemical Trichloroethane (TCA) are very likely to also contain 1,4-dioxane. According to Newsday's database of Long Island Superfund sites, there are at least 50 sites that are known to contain TCA , meaning there is a high probability they also contain 1,4-dioxane. 1,4-Dioxane does not easily degrade or break down in the environment and is highly mobile in soil and groundwater.

The Hidden Carcinogen in Everyday Products

1,4-Dioxane is lurking in everyday products. It occurs as byproduct of a manufacturing process called ethoxylation and is found in many common household products. Approximately 46% of personal care products, including detergents, dishwashing soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, deodorants, and body lotions, contain 1,4-dioxane. 1,4-Dioxane can even be found in baby wipes and baby shampoos. It can also be found in pesticides and packaging materials and remains in the formulation of some paints, solvents, inks, and varnishes. The elevated levels found in many laundry detergents make laundromats a potential point-source of contamination for 1,4-dioxane. Some laundry detergents have been found to have the highest levels of 1,4-dioxane of any consumer products, with levels over 50 parts per million, a concentration equivalent to over 100,000 times the EPA's Cancer Risk Guideline for drinking water.

Since 1,4-dioxane is a manufacturing byproduct, it is not listed on the labels of household products, making it nearly impossible for consumers to make safe, informed choices. Consumers can look for the 'ethoxylated' ingredients, which may indicate the presence of 1,4-dioxane. The names of those ingredients often include "-eth" or "-oxynol" in part of their names, such as "phenoxyethanol." Two of the most common ingredients that are problematic for 1,4-dioxane contamination are "sodium laureth sulfate" and "potassium laureth phosphate". While manufacturers can remove 1,4-dioxane from products simply and cheaply, and the FDA recommends that manufacturers do so, many companies do not take that extra step. The FDA needs to require the removal of this chemical; it should not be a voluntary option.

Here is a more extensive list of commonly used ethoxylated ingredients:

• Anything with "PEG"
  • Polyethylene
  • Polyethylene glycol
  • Polyoxyethylene
  • Polysorbate-20
  • Polysorbate-60
  • Polysorbate-80
  • Sodium laureth sulfate
  • Potassium laureth phosphate
  • Myreth
  • Oleth
  • Ceteareth
  • Steareth
  • Phenoxyethanol

Once down the drain, these products carry 1,4-dioxane directly into our groundwater through over 500,000 septic tanks and cesspools across Long Island. That groundwater eventually either flows outward into our surface waters or downward into our aquifers, which is the sole-source of Long Island's drinking water.

NY Needs a Drinking Water Standard

Currently there is no federal or state drinking water standard specifically for 1,4-dioxane. In the absence of an established federal drinking water standard, the allowable level in drinking water falls to a default of 50.0 µg/L (or parts per billion), which is grossly inadequate to protect public health.

With no federal guideline in place, and in the face of clear evidence that 1,4-dioxane presents a serious threat to drinking water for all Long Islanders, we must establish a health-based drinking water standard for NY! Email Governor Cuomo and the Commissioner of the NYS Department of Health, and urge them to establish a health-based drinking water standard for 1,4-dioxane, based on the EPA's Cancer Risk Guideline of 0.35 µg/L.

Treatment Technology on the Verge

The Suffolk County Water Authority is piloting a new system for the removal of 1,4-dioxane from drinking water. Conventional carbon based filtration systems do not adequately remove 1,4-dioxane. This new pilot system utilizes a process known as advanced oxidation. Smaller trials using advanced oxidation have demonstrated success in removing the chemical.

22 minutes ago, snywx said:

Wait...so you might be leaving Mt. SNYWX??

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Way too much development for the amount of natural resources that we have. My family moved out to Long Island right after WW2 when all there was before that were family farms. 

Yes, and too many people squeezed into too small of an area.  The problems of overpopulation are driving this over the top.

1 hour ago, Hailstorm said:

Guys, just face reality. NYC will not see any measurable snow during this "unprecedented" winter pattern.

As I demonstated last month with another storm threat, when you have the Euro showing a whiff 5 days out, it is unheard of for NYC to receive a snowstorm despite what other models might depict.

All this cold will be wasted and it's a damn shame.

If we do see measurable snow, I am banning you  

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Yes, and too many people squeezed into too small of an area.  The problems of overpopulation are driving this over the top.

Finding parking on the weekend or summer in Long Beach without a driveway is really difficult.

29 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yep (as of 2015)

County Median taxes
Westchester, NY $13,842
Rockland, NY $10,550
Bergen, NJ $9,546
Essex, NJ $9,288
Nassau, NY $9,091
Passaic, NJ $8,978
Union, NJ $8,926
Morris, NJ $8,549
Hudson, NJ $8,407
Hunterdon, NJ $8,392

I would hope to at least get a free ASOS station on my property if I was paying taxes like this.;)

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real-estate/billy-joel-charles-wang-of-islanders-don-vultaggio-have-the-highest-taxed-homes-in-nassau-county-1.10322895

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Dammit!

The weenie in me gets jealous when I see areas literally just to my W with big time differences in snowfall during the early and late months of the season. This past November up on Mountain Rd (1100') there was a good 6" while areas below 700' had almost zilch

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

The weenie in me gets jealous when I see areas literally just to my W with big time differences in snowfall during the early and late months of the season. This past November up on Mountain Rd (1100') there was a good 6" while areas below 700' had almost zilch

That's a good spot for sure

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived