Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

1 minute ago, snywx said:

What?  Are you powering the neighborhood? lol..

It could be it's not very efficient lol.  I'm using a combo of electric and gas heat.  My coldest month seems to be four figures regardless of how cold the winter is, I don't get it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

You pay $1k per month in utilities? Have you replaced your windows or reinsulated yet? Changed over to led bulbs for light? 

That seems high, unless you have a large house in which case, congrats. I think I've paid $1,100 total, since October 1 for heating oil and the older part of my home was built in 1850. I average $100 per month in electrical bills.  

Trust me it's not big (it's average around 5000 sq ft), but I'm slowly renovating it.  The windows and doors are definitely drafty.  The funny thing is, it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, so there isn't a time when I'm not running either the a/c or the heat.

I did the LED bulbs but I'm using a combo of electric and gas for heat. Because some rooms just don't heat well enough with gas alone so I stick space heaters into those rooms.

What are your thermos set at?

Right around 70.  Usually 68 at night and 72 during the day.

edit- there's only one thermostat and it's on the first floor.  That's part of the problem as some of the rooms don't heat up well enough so I put electric space heaters in those rooms.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

edit- there's only one thermostat and it's on the first floor.  That's part of the problem as some of the rooms don't heat up well enough so I put electric space heaters in those rooms.

those electric space heaters will cut a hole in your pocket. 

Just now, snywx said:

those electric space heaters will cut a hole in your pocket. 

That might be where a lot of the cost is coming from.  I set them on "Auto" to turn off when the room gets to 72, but they constantly turn on and off so maybe that has something to do with it too.

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I use a hot oil heater, it really puts out even on low.  Some rooms stay cold like you said.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Trust me it's not big (it's average around 5000 sq ft), but I'm slowly renovating it.  The windows and doors are definitely drafty.  The funny thing is, it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, so there isn't a time when I'm not running either the a/c or the heat.

I did the LED bulbs but I'm using a combo of electric and gas for heat. Because some rooms just don't heat well enough with gas alone so I stick space heaters into those rooms.

Ummm... am I the only one that caught this?

I have a pretty big house for around here... 3k+ sqft.... if you have a 5,000 square foot house, that is NOT average.. lol

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Ummm... am I the only one that caught this?

me and my wife make really good money and have a prettt big house... 3k+ sqft.... if you have a 5,000 square foot house, that is NOT average.. lol

It's average for this area and trust me it's not a lot.  I'm including the unfinished and dusty basement in these totals lol.  It's probably the same size as yours with the basement not included.

21 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It's average for this area and trust me it's not a lot.  I'm including the unfinished and dusty basement in these totals lol.  It's probably the same size as yours with the basement not included.

Most houses around here are 1800-2000, with basements lol...

5k is almost 2 of my homes

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

5k is almost 2 of my homes, and my house is huge lol

Wow, that's weird lol, I thought it was kind of average.  Maybe they lied to me about the size, I'm just going by what was written on the paperwork before I bought it.  4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and an unfinished basement.

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Smoke em if you got em

ha I actually got it cheap, for about 160K, it was a real fixer upper (still is somewhat).  First thing I did when I got it was get rid of the asbestos in the basement.

Then I found out they had lead pipes so those had to go.  Just a bunch of stuff that needed replacing in a house built in 1905 so it's over 100 years old.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

ha I actually got it cheap, for about 160K, it was a real fixer upper (still is somewhat).  First thing I did when I got it was get rid of the asbestos in the basement.

Then I found out they had lead pipes so those had to go.  Just a bunch of stuff that needed replacing in a house built in 1905 so it's over 100 years old.

Come on man. A 5000 sq foot house on LI for 160k? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I paid 385k for 2000 sq feet, which includes the finished basement...maybe you mean 500 sq feet

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

I think you mean 500 sq ft lol.. If you think 5000 sq ft is average then 1) can I borrow some money or 2) you are talking out your culo

28 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

5k is almost 2 of my homes

Yeah most around me are around 2000k sq ft. If you own a 5000 sq ft then umm you are def pimpin lol

We have some homes in some of the newer communities in the 3500 sq ft range and those are big!

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It is and I don't. You need 150k to break even with one kid. 200k with two kids. Its awful.

It's not that great up here believe it or not, my wife's in the medical field, we do decent combined salary and my taxes are 14k a year... on top of and 1700 mortgage.... school taxes up here in some spots are killer

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

None of this makes any sense. In mid summer my electric is 180 a month for 2000 sq ft...1100 would be about right for 10,000+ sq ft. 

Agreed.. I honestly think he is full of sh!t but hey who knows. I also have a 2000 sq ft home and in the summer even with my pool running 6-8 hrs a day im in the 180-200 range. 

Agreed.. I honestly think he is full of sh!t but hey who knows. I also have a 2000 sq ft home and in the summer even with my pool running it 6-8 hrs a day im in the 180-200 range. 

You should get on that monthly fixed rate... I do that with central Hudson, my bills prorated at 129$ a month, never changes now. 

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It's not that great up here believe it or not, my wife's in the medical field, we do ok, my taxes are 14k a year... on top of and 1700 mortgage.... school taxes up here in some spots are killer

14k is steep bro especially for ulster county. I have 3/4 acre here and im 6.5k and thats in a decent school district

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived