Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

Just now, psv88 said:

That's more like it...but that raises the question as to why your electric bill is $1100 a month haha...

I honestly wasn't trying to be hard nosed about posting pictures, but I don't want my current tenants to leave because they see pictures of their apartment online lol.  I had one tenant who left a dead cat behind in the kitchen sink when they left and after that a girl+her boyfriend who liked to tan in the front of my driveway that my older neighbors complained about so she had to go, and right now I have a husband+wife+small child living in the front of the house.

My bad I really thought it was 5,000 sq ft- 2,202 sounds really small, but I assure you that even with the front of the house rented out, it's a lot for one person to handle.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paragon said:

I honestly wasn't trying to be hard nosed about posting pictures, but I don't want my current tenants to leave because they see pictures of their apartment online lol.  I had one tenant who left a dead cat behind in the kitchen sink when they left and after that a girl+her boyfriend who liked to tan in the front of my driveway that my older neighbors complained about so she had to go, and right now I have a husband+wife+small child living in the front of the house.

My bad I really thought it was 5,000 sq ft- 2,202 sounds really small, but I assure you that even with the front of the house rented out, it's a lot for one person to handle.

2202 is not small, its average

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

That's more like it...but that raises the question as to why your electric bill is $1100 a month haha...

It's probably just really inefficient.  I need to replace everything, but it costs so much I'm doing it in stages.

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Thanks, I just looked up the house I grew up in (the one we bought back in 1982) and I guess that could be considered average too.

This 2,848 square foot house sits on a 9,500 square foot lot and features 2.5 bathrooms. 

When we'd bought that one, it was new.

Home Facts

Edit Facts
Beds
Baths
Finished Sq. Ft.
Unfinished Sq. Ft.
Total Sq. Ft.
Floors
Lot Size
9,500 Sq. Ft.
Style
Single Family Residential
Year Built
Year Renovated
County
Nassau County

131.jpg

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Well it's 2,400 st ft if you include the unfinished basement ;-)  The lot size seems to be almost the same as the first house I lived in, but the size of the house is slightly less.  I guess this doesn't take into account the detached two car garage (which is huge) while the first house had a smaller attached 2 car garage.

Home Facts

Edit Facts
Beds
Baths
Finished Sq. Ft.
Unfinished Sq. Ft.
Total Sq. Ft.
Floors
Lot Size
9,480 Sq. Ft.
Style
Single Family Residential
Year Built
Year Renovated
County
Nassau County

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It's probably just really inefficient.  I need to replace everything, but it costs so much I'm doing it in stages.

I don't think you electric bills should be that high for the amount sq ft that you have. The only time that some residents would have very high monthly electric bill would be in the winter with electric heat. I have a neighbor with electric heat and they pay about 300-400 a month during the winter for about 1500 sq feet. You should check out what is driving your bills up so much. 

Just now, bluewave said:

I don't think you electric bills should be that high for the amount sq ft that you have. The only time that some residents would have very high monthly electric bill would be in the winter with electric heat. I have a neighbor with electric heat and they pay about 300-400 a month during the winter for about 1500 sq feet. You should check out what is driving your bills up so much. 

First house which was brand new when we bought it had electric heat and we sold it for exactly that reason- the heating costs were too high.  

I checked my bill for the last month which I actually have to go pay today lol- it's $500 :-(

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Thanks man, I learned something about houses today lol.

Yeah you any count basement or attic unless they are liveable spaces. My house is roughly 2000 sq ft but with unfinished basement and attic it would be like 3500. My taxes are around 11,500 and our schools suck, houses are cheap though. 

A true 5000 sq ft house would have taxes at least 30,000 esp if its new construction

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

First house which was brand new when we bought it had electric heat and we sold it for exactly that reason- the heating costs were too high.  

I checked my bill for the last month which I actually have to go pay today lol- it's $500 :-(

Are you talking about gas and electric or just Electric?

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Prob easier to sell one of my kids. Anyone want a 7 year old? Fluent in ipads, minecraft, and watching youtube videos of other people playing video games. Only eats cheeseburgers and oatmeal. 

I dont understand it! I remember when my oldest started doing this years ago and thought he was the only one lol.. Now I know im not alone haha

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Yeah, the property tax and utility bills on Long Island are through the roof. You can find better deals on property tax in Suffolk than Nassau.

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

electric heat in this climate is crazy.  Especially with how cheap natural gas is.

Just now, Brian5671 said:

electric heat in this climate is crazy.  Especially with how cheap natural gas is.

Many homes and condos built in the 1970's on Long Island were electric heat. It was the prevailing wisdom at the time with gas and oil shortages which hit in the early 70's.

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Prob easier to sell one of my kids. Anyone want a 7 year old? Fluent in ipads, minecraft, and watching youtube videos of other people playing video games. Only eats cheeseburgers and oatmeal. 

3 minutes ago, snywx said:

I dont understand it! I remember when my oldest started doing this years ago and thought he was the only one lol.. Now I know im not alone haha

It's really amazing what kids pick up from watching their father

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Many homes and condos built in the 1970's on Long Island were electric heat. It was the prevailing wisdom at the time with gas and oil shortages which hit in the early 70's.

yup-we had it in PA in a house built in the late 70's.  My folks use to keep it low b/c it was so pricey to run. I'm sure that neighborhood has gas these days.

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Are you talking about gas and electric or just Electric?

That was National Grid, so it's just the gas part of the bill unfortunately :-(

PSE&G does my electric.

https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Home/CustomerService/HomeFrequentlyAskedQuestions/MyElectricService#KeySpan

What is the difference between PSEG Long Island National Grid?
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority’s transmission and distribution system under a 12-year contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (NYSE:PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company with annual revenues of $11 billion. National Grid provides natural gas. 

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

yup-we had it in PA in a house built in the late 70's.  My folks use to keep it low b/c it was so pricey to run. I'm sure that neighborhood has gas these days.

hey my house in PA is also electric heat and it was built in the mid 80s.  The first house on long island I lived in was built in 1982 and was electric heat also.  We just ended up installing gas fireplaces in the PA house so the electric expenditure is a bit less.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

My friend lived in a condo community out near Holbrook build in the 1970's and it was all electric heat. The bills were really elevated for the 3-4 winter months but were reasonable for the rest of the year. But nat gas is ideal right now for the lower cost.

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah you any count basement or attic unless they are liveable spaces. My house is roughly 2000 sq ft but with unfinished basement and attic it would be like 3500. My taxes are around 11,500 and our schools suck, houses are cheap though. 

A true 5000 sq ft house would have taxes at least 30,000 esp if its new construction

I've seen some houses like that when I go sightseeing in Hewlett Harbor.  Some of those people own their own docks lol.

5 hours ago, ForestHillWx said:

I had no idea taxes were that high in the Hudson Valley. Those are North Jersey prices. 

Im at $7500. Small farm house with a shade under 5 acres. Unfortunately, I need to put an addition on, which will likely double my yearly taxes. But, baby toys take up tremendous amounts of space and we are running out of room.

Westchester County I believe has the highest property taxes in the US. Top 10 counties in the US are right here in the NYC metro area. Cheap to most of us is under 7500 a yr. A good chunk of this country can't afford that payment.

44 minutes ago, Paragon said:

No offense brother but you sound completely out of touch lol..  2202 is not small in any shape of form. It may be average but def not small. Now if you ask @IrishRob17 what small means he might just look down.

Just now, snywx said:

No offense brother but you sound completely out of touch lol..  2202 is not small in any shape of form. It may be average but def not small. Now if you ask @IrishRob17 what small means he might just look down.

2202 is small by today's standards at least around here.   A house that size that's in poor condition gets knocked down by a builder and replaced with a 3500-5000 SF McMansion.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

2202 is small by today's standards at least around here.   A house that size that's in poor condition gets knocked down by a builder and replaced with a 3500-5000 SF McMansion.

Well not all of us live in that world my man. 2000 sq ft is usually the standard size for the majority.

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

Well not all of us live in that world my man. 2000 sq ft is usually the standard size for the majority.

I agree.  My point is that it just depends where you are.  Here and in Long Island, buildable land is scarce, so you see many of these size houses being  torn down or having major renovations to add space.   Silly yes...one can easily raise a family in a 2000 SF home.    It's become crazy here...down by the beach in town you have 5000 SF mansions on quarter acre lots next to a 1200 SF cape that has somehow not been sold...they have ruined the character of certain neighborhoods with these behomonths...but that's what people want....

3 minutes ago, snywx said:

Oh go find your kid a new Youtube channel.  I don't get the need some people have to live in a huge house.  If one has a large family its understandable but this infatuation with keeping up with the Jones' I'll never understand, I know I don't give a rats arse.  

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

This happens in the town I work in. A house just sold for 425k, nice 3 bed 1.5 bath colonial in pristine condition. Perfect for a starter home but he sold to a builder who is going to knock it down and sell it new for 800+. Any lot that has a 50s ranch on it is almost guaranteed to be sought after by builders because they are usually 75-100 ft wide and can accommodate a large 3 story home

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived