joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Hurricane Matthew and any potential impacts to New England

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling Matthew may be skunked after Cuba, and not change very much in intensity prior to any interaction with Florida. Once they are disrupted enough to have swaths of warmer cloud tops within the CDO, the structure often never quite rejuvenates entirely...

Mountains ddi a job on it.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I thought 1 tiny section was over the top, why would 100 mph gusts equate to 150 on the coast especially if Orlando is in the eyewall . You are grasping for tiny straws

I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I just think if the storm is strong enough to produce 100 mph gusts in Orlando then logically it's going to be much worse along the coast which would have to bear the brunt of the typically more powerful NE quadrant. Yeah you got me...I just threw out 150 mph without any real backing...but I don't think roof collapse on older homes/structures is out of the realm of possibility in that scenario. That's just my 2 cents...you are free to disagree.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have a feeling Matthew may be skunked after Cuba, and not change very much in intensity prior to any interaction with Florida. Once they are disrupted enough to have swaths of warmer cloud tops within the CDO, the structure often never quite rejuvenates entirely...

Mountains ddi a job on it.

um 

GOES14372016279wMLYsq.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I just think if the storm is strong enough to produce 100 mph gusts in Orlando then logically it's going to be much worse along the coast which would have to bear the brunt of the typically more powerful NE quadrant. Yeah you got me...I just threw out 150 mph without any real backing...but I don't think roof collapse on older homes/structures is out of the realm of possibility in that scenario. That's just my 2 cents...you are free to disagree.

No I actually agree with you. They did have Jeanne, also wall failures was the part I was keying on but none the less its important to stress the seriousness especially in that NE quad on the coast if it moves bodily ashore.

Looks to me as if it's rapidly getting it's act together

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I see sustained 53 gusting to 87 for your area on the GFS 

I see that running hi-res grib2 data, In fact what it's depicting is the infamous "pivot-point" is right on top. Based on present intensity projections. I want (don't) to experience CAT3 gusts! Ah the weenie has taken over...LOL,

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I see no reason why it shouldn't intensify.  There is no "landmass" impeding flow around the center of circulation.

I have seen so m any systems that were in the same situation, yet maintained some sore of structural defect for the rest of the life cycle.

Just food for thought....that's all.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have seen so m any systems that were in the same situation, yet maintained some sore of structural defect for the rest of the life cycle.

Usually it's dry air entrainment that I've anecdotally noticed many systems struggle to recover from. 

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can't recall a system where the eye went over western Haiti and Eastern Cuba. I know many have cut Cuba in half, most recently Sandy but which storm has gone this route.

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Usually it's dry air entrainment that I've anecdotally noticed many systems struggle to recover from. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I can't recall a system where the eye went over western Haiti and Eastern Cuba. I know many have cut Cuba in half, most recently Sandy but which storm has gone this route.

Combine those two excellent points with the scope of wind-field and intensity. We shall see in short order...

Archived