Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Disco

Damage In Tolland

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any resemblance with this to that Oct snow event in maybe 2010 ? It dropped light accumulation in elevations .  I think it might have snowed twice within a week. Do I have the year right?

2009...but it doesn't look like those events.

Don't think I've seen a front ender event in October before.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this event's been on the charts for a couple/few days really ... NCEP's discussions have been mentioning it as a possible interior elevation snow tho obviously nothing major. 

12z ECM hints at shallow latitude cold coastal around the end of D6 ...sort of a s/w transitional pattern.  it's banking cold in the lower troposphere within reach for this time of the year - it's not just the Euro either.   not much snow pack up there to boot.  interesting.  

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

BTV is watching the picnic tables for us...now Oceanst has to use MiseryMist in an AFD:

Meanwhile...cold air remains locked east of the greens and across the northeast kingdom with a longer duration of snow...with several inches of wet snow accumulation possible Thursday afternoon/evening...before changing over to rain. Mountain thermal profiles are tricky as progged 850mb temps stay near 0c...but warm nose around 5000 feet associated with southerly jet...supports some freezing rain possible near the summits of the dacks and greens on Thursday Night. It shall be interesting to see what the picnic table on Mansfield receives.

Oh, misery mist should be no problem. I'll have to save it for spring though, when it's truly misery.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS looks to be breaking the law of cyclogenesis. Thou shall not plow into ORH with stout high to the northeast, when triple point is near NYC. 

Ha. ORH-ASH-PWM track. It better run up powderfreak's fanny otherwise it's not getting north of the Canal with a high in that spot.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe it's some intra-seasonal variability with tropical forcing, because the longer range on the ensembles sure looks nothing like Nina to me.  Looks like Nino with a western GOAK trough..almost Aleutian low with ridging out west and lower height anomalies over the southeast. 

Ok, I'm glad you said this...I would never have mentioned I thought it was Nino like cause I'm just an untrained weenie...so I'm glad somebody smart said it

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Ha. ORH-ASH-PWM track. It better run up powderfreak's fanny otherwise it's not getting north of the Canal with a high in that spot.

I think we need a set of 10 commandments for winter. Honestly. True and tried things too live by when it comes to winter forecasting. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that triggered my post. I want to do something like this for my group at work. I already did something like this for the IFR event at Boston when models sucked by 10 hrs. 

We've had some similar emails at the office recently about the first widespread frost/freeze and temp forecasting, and then another for the Matthew moisture rain event.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

12z GFS is pretty interesting for NNE. -5C H85s with precip in a SWFE setup with a redeveloping low south of my lat. That usually spells warning snow, but it's late Oct. I could envision a really cold start Thu with Ci/As streaming in early and the cold overperforming in the low levels. H92/H95 is pretty cold. Of course we're a few days away and things will change to at least some degree.

Lets get this to track under SNE shall we

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Gotta throw something in about torched 2m temps with relatively cold H95s and heavy precip.

Thou shalt not not ever use the GFS 2m temps in winter wx.

Honor thy arctic high in Quebec.

Thou shalt not ignore the mid-levels in favour of being a QPF Queen

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

With that high position, I think it's a pretty good chance the sfc does...the mid-level center has been trying to trend south too.

Just really started looking at this one, That is a 1032mb+ high north of Maine so there is a pretty good chance, Wish we had a more stout cold air mass though but its only Oct

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Just really started looking at this one, That is a 1032mb+ high north of Maine so there is a pretty good chance, Wish we had a more stout cold air mass though but its only Oct

Yeah we'd already be locking in 4-8 if it was closer to Thanksgiving in this setup. It's a bit early for this. As I mentioned earlier today, it's nice to at least have snowpack established in Canada and the border regions of Maine/NH to "deepen" that cold wedge from these highs....but we don't have that yet in October. Still, this is a pretty darn cold high for this time of year, so we'll see if it can produce some fun for at least the CNE-northward region....if not interior SNE too.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we'd already be locking in 4-8 if it was closer to Thanksgiving in this setup. It's a bit early for this. As I mentioned earlier today, it's nice to at least have snowpack established in Canada and the border regions of Maine/NH to "deepen" that cold wedge from these highs....but we don't have that yet in October. Still, this is a pretty darn cold high for this time of year, so we'll see if it can produce some fun for at least the CNE-northward region....if not interior SNE too.

That is so true about the pre thanksgiving air mass, At least it something to keep an eye on and see if some can sneak out another early event, Hunting starts this Saturday here and i hunt in the foothill region so i do have an interest in this, Sure beats the boring dry hot weather we have had over the last few months

Archived