Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Last Christmas, Bob C and a couple others were talking about a distillery down towards Luray, and I made a mental note to be sure I stopped in the next time I hiked Old Rag.  I still haven't been down that way, but a stop in one of my favorite liquor stores brought a bit of the distillery to me.  

IMG_0448.JPG

Ooooohhhh! You sir are in for a treat. The distillery is super cool to visit. It's in a very old wood framed building. The whole little enclave down there with the micro brewery and weird shops seems totally out of place and totally cool at the same time. 

I'm not drinking right now so take 2 shots for me and then follow up with a 3rd just cuz that how I roll with fine whiskey. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ooooohhhh! You sir are in for a treat. The distillery is super cool to visit. It's in a very old wood framed building. The whole little enclave down there with the micro brewery and weird shops seems totally out of place and totally cool at the same time. 

I'm not drinking right now so take 2 shots for me and then follow up with a 3rd just cuz that how I roll with fine whiskey. 

Lol.  You're going to be disappointed but I didn't buy it, but allow me to explain.  I'm off this Wednesday and I have been planning a hike up in PA at Ricketts Glen to check out the fall foliage and the waterfalls, but the leaves are a little behind so I'm putting that off for a week and heading back down to the friendly confines of Old Rag and Robertson's Mountain.  Full disclosure, I really want to check out that distillery on a non-weekend, and this is probably the only time this fall to do it.  So, I didn't take the plunge yesterday because I want my first sip to be the real deal, and that bottle in Ellicott City will be there next payday.  However, I didn't leave the liquor store yesterday empty-handed because I got a bottle of High West Rendevous blended rye, and it's very good.

I'll get some pictures on Wednesday and post them, and most importantly, I hope that abstaining is not health related.  We need a healthy Bob.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

and most importantly, I hope that abstaining is not health related.  We need a healthy Bob.

Cheers!

Nope, not health related at all. I'm in really good shape. I put on some beer weight this summer and felt like walking the straight and narrow for a while. Just taking care of my old azz. 

If you brought a bottle of copper fox over right now I would do a shot even before I shook your hand. LOL

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nope, not health related at all. I'm in really good shape. I put on some beer weight this summer and felt like walking the straight and narrow for a while. Just taking care of my old azz. 

If you brought a bottle of copper fox over right now I would do a shot even before I shook your hand. LOL

Lol. I plan to have at least a bottle tucked away out of my reach on the ride home Wednesday evening!

On 10/10/2016 at 7:25 AM, wxdude64 said:

On this date in 1979......woke up to 4-10 inches of heavy wet snow depending on elevation in my area. Many, many trees damaged and power lines down, no power for next three days.

Missed this post.  14" at my house in eastern Warren Co at ~1,100 ft.  My earliest weather memory.  Woke up in the middle of the night to thunder and lightning, then again when a tree snapped and part of it landed on the house.  In the commotion that followed the outside flood lights were turned on to the shock of the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen.  It was beyond description.  Tree damage was catastrophic.  We had no power for a week and had to chain saw multiple trees just to get the power company truck into our driveway to attend to a tree that fell and took out the power lines.  I can remember the following morning being outside and hearing what sounded like constant shot-gun blasts as tree after tree snapped.  Hands down the craziest weather event I have experienced.  There is ZERO percent chance anything like this ever occurs here again.  

Yesterday was a good day! I got to the summit of Old Rag for sunrise and to Copper Fox distillery around noon, and home on the front porch for a wee dram in the early evening. Thanks, Bob for the excellent tip, even though I spent my whiskey allowance for the next six months.

If any of the pictures look good I'll post them in the fall foliage thread when I have time. Highly recommend Copper Fox! This is their port  barrel aged single malt which is only available at the distillery, but worth the trip!

IMG_0457.JPG

11 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Missed this post.  14" at my house in eastern Warren Co at ~1,100 ft.  My earliest weather memory.  Woke up in the middle of the night to thunder and lightning, then again when a tree snapped and part of it landed on the house.  In the commotion that followed the outside flood lights were turned on to the shock of the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen.  It was beyond description.  Tree damage was catastrophic.  We had no power for a week and had to chain saw multiple trees just to get the power company truck into our driveway to attend to a tree that fell and took out the power lines.  I can remember the following morning be outside and hearing what sounded like constant shot-gun blasts as tree after tree snapped.  Hands down the craziest weather event I have experienced.  There is ZERO percent chance anything like this ever occurs here again.  

You should probably write that in quatrain so we don't have a surefire way to pin that on you when it does happen.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

You should probably write that in quatrain so we don't have a surefire way to pin that on you when it does happen.

I doubt he is in much trouble of that happening. A general 4-15 inch snowfall up the 81 corridor and west in early October is probably like a 1000 year flood event, if not higher. And NPZ, that is exactly how I remember it, standing outside helping father clear the yard of limbs and it sounding like someone was just continuously firing a shotgun. Bow....bow....bow.....we cut SO much firewood that fall in National Forest we had wood for 3 or 4 years after that. This event inspired me to start keeping a log, which turned into my current weather records, first entry 10-10-1979. Later that day I bought a thermometer at the local hardware store and been keeping records since.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived