Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

I am aware of that but if hm was so good he would be noticed more or quoted more besides this forum.

He's not a TV met so he'll never be "noticed" but a damn good atmospheric science guy. He's been on the forums for many years. Especially in winter.  His knowledge about hemispheric patterns, long range patterns and  identifying winter storm windows are off the charts. But he's not a public forecaster so it's apples to oranges in the notoriety contest. His respect around here is at the top of the scale though. 

I always think it's funny when the lurker posters come out during big weather events and start telling the degreed meteorologists the reasoning behind things. Always good for a laugh. 

And regarding Weatherbuff - 

You're missing the entire point of what I'm saying. You went from one day saying "I'd trust Glen Schwartz over this guy who I've never heard of" to saying "it's important to get many opinions" - one does not equal the other. 

It's cool though - we can be civil :) - I'm just a little taken aback that you are trying to act like you didn't completely brush off HM as a reliable source on one day and then try to claim otherwise the next. Again, getting various opinions is good but that's not what you had initially said...

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

He's not a TV met so he'll never be "noticed" but a damn good atmospheric science guy. He's been on the forums for many years. Especially in winter.  His knowledge about hemispheric patterns, long range patterns and  identifying winter storm windows are off the charts. But he's not a public forecaster so it's apples to oranges in the notoriety contest. His respect around here is at the top of the scale though. 

Ok apparantly he is good, but why not get his own website and do like DT and Joe Bastardi do, make some big bucks.

5 minutes ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

Ok apparantly he is good, but why not get his own website and do like DT and Joe Bastardi do, make some big bucks.

Good grief - why does that matter? He's a good meteorologist. That was the one and only point I was trying to make. Who the heck cares if he's big and famous? That's not a precursor to being a reliable forecaster...

And for the record - if you're saying Joe Bastardi is a wonderfully accurate forecaster that's a little lol-worthy. 

16 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Good grief - why does that matter? He's a good meteorologist. That was the one and only point I was trying to make. Who the heck cares if he's big and famous? That's not a precursor to being a reliable forecaster...

And for the record - if you're saying Joe Bastardi is a wonderfully accurate forecaster that's a little lol-worthy. 

I never said that but he does make good money and that's the ways it is.

3 minutes ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

I never said that but he does make good money and that's the ways it is.

Who cares? Maybe HM doesn't care if he's rich and just cares about fascinating atmospheric science. I'm not sure how salaries are at all relevant to what we were originally discussing. But okay. 

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I saw a wooly-bear caterpillar the other day that was the lightest brown I've ever seen without even the slightest trace of black.  Not good.  :(

i saw a full black one just earlier this week

20 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Who cares? Maybe HM doesn't care if he's rich and just cares about fascinating atmospheric science. I'm not sure how salaries are at all relevant to what we were originally discussing. But okay. 

He would get more fame by at least having a website, but that's his business if he wants to.

2 hours ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

He would get more fame by at least having a website, but that's his business if he wants to.

There have been some not so great forecasters that have had "fame" - I'm not sure fame is at all equated with being a good forecaster in most cases. Let's just put this to rest. You and I will not agree on this nor was this the original debate :lol:

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I just took a tour of Florida's east coast, perusing the latest point and click forecasts, and some of them are simply terrifying.  Cape Canaveral says sustained winds from 110 to 125 mph with gusts to 145.  I can only imagine what my hood would look like after something of that magnitude.

Ya made me check my Aunt's place North of St. Augustine (Vilano Beach)

Friday
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. High near 85. Northeast wind 40 to 60 mph, with gusts as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Friday Night
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then showers likely. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 74. West wind 90 to 110 mph decreasing to 39 to 49 mph. Winds could gust as high as 135 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Plus approx 8" of rain and storm surge. 

1 hour ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Ya made me check my Aunt's place North of St. Augustine (Vilano Beach)

Friday
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. High near 85. Northeast wind 40 to 60 mph, with gusts as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Friday Night
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then showers likely. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 74. West wind 90 to 110 mph decreasing to 39 to 49 mph. Winds could gust as high as 135 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Plus approx 8" of rain and storm surge. 

That would be nuts!

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That would be nuts!

Jax news updated the surge data.

Between 12' surge, 15-20' waves and 8" of rain, the homes on the barrier island are toast.  From what my Aunt said, neighbors are staying, and she's going to a friend's place 5 miles away but on the other side of the river....  She is being her usual bobble headed self.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/actionnewsjax.relaymedia.com/amp/news/local/storm-suge-impacts-could-be-historic/454206364

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived