Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Blue Angels in the air and flying low over downtown Baltimore, I would guess practice for whatever their show is for Fleet Week. Low cloud deck though, but they are flying so low can see them as well as hear them.

Woo! Front row seat on a CGC in the Harbor. 

IMG_20161013_132754.jpg

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

You should probably write that in quatrain so we don't have a surefire way to pin that on you when it does happen.

I'll take my chances.  The closest we've come in the 37 years since is a mangled, sloppy 2 - 3 inches on Oct. 28 (2011)....albeit that one was measured at the Valley floor . ~ 740 ft.

And I hope that never occurs again, because Oct. snow is a sure-fire death knell to winter.

3 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

I doubt he is in much trouble of that happening. A general 4-15 inch snowfall up the 81 corridor and west in early October is probably like a 1000 year flood event, if not higher. And NPZ, that is exactly how I remember it, standing outside helping father clear the yard of limbs and it sounding like someone was just continuously firing a shotgun. Bow....bow....bow.....we cut SO much firewood that fall in National Forest we had wood for 3 or 4 years after that. This event inspired me to start keeping a log, which turned into my current weather records, first entry 10-10-1979. Later that day I bought a thermometer at the local hardware store and been keeping records since.

Cool story how that event started your weather log.  It created my fascination with weather and love of snow.

For anyone who hasn't really experienced it, the sound of a snapping mature, healthy tree is quite unnerving.

22 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

WOW.  What a show to get to see those in-flight.  Few things are more exhilarating than to see fighter jets.

Sorry, but I can't hear anything, what did you say? ^_^. My ears are still buzzing.

I tried to get a shot of the jets as they blasted past the ship, but ended up with a lot of pictures of the scenery, lol. 

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm surprised that there isn't any football banter. Great win for the 'Skins and terrible loss for the Ravens. Still a lot of football left.

On the home front, we kegged our pumpkin beer today. Can't wait to try it carbonated.

Ignoring the comment about the Eagles game...

Looking forward to hearing the results of this year's pumpkin! Do you prime it and carb naturally, or do you carb on CO2?

On Friday, I split a 750 of last year's batch with my buddies. The carbonation has definitely decreased, so the capping left a little to be desired, I suppose, but overall it was better than I remember it. That year of aging really mellowed the spice and brought some sweetness to the fore - both good things - but you can tell that it was from the same batch because it had the same base flavor and aroma as it did last year.

I've been meaning to brew up a Northeast/New England IPA the last couple weeks in time for a pre-Halloween happy hour we're hosting, but the schedule hasn't allowed for it. I suppose I could rush it, but since I still haven't built the kegerator, I'd have to rely on naturally carbing in about a week (at the most) and I just don't see that happening. Oh well...I'll have plenty to share with my buddies, and I'll brew up a winter brown ale soon after that should be ready for Christmas.

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

Ignoring the comment about the Eagles game...

Looking forward to hearing the results of this year's pumpkin! Do you prime it and carb naturally, or do you carb on CO2?

On Friday, I split a 750 of last year's batch with my buddies. The carbonation has definitely decreased, so the capping left a little to be desired, I suppose, but overall it was better than I remember it. That year of aging really mellowed the spice and brought some sweetness to the fore - both good things - but you can tell that it was from the same batch because it had the same base flavor and aroma as it did last year.

I've been meaning to brew up a Northeast/New England IPA the last couple weeks in time for a pre-Halloween happy hour we're hosting, but the schedule hasn't allowed for it. I suppose I could rush it, but since I still haven't built the kegerator, I'd have to rely on naturally carbing in about a week (at the most) and I just don't see that happening. Oh well...I'll have plenty to share with my buddies, and I'll brew up a winter brown ale soon after that should be ready for Christmas.

I keg and force CO2.  Most times I set the psi at about 14 and let it sit for a week or two to get carbonated, but lately I've been having success jacking the psi up to 30 for a day or two to quicken the process.  So, I should be able to try the it later this evening or tomorrow.

As far as how it turned out, I tried it warm and flat when we kegged and I didn't get the fall spice flavor I expectedo, so I'm a little worried.  The recipe called for 3 tsp of spice mix, but just like in year's past, I take the advice of others and cut that in half, so maybe once it carbs, it'll be different.  I definitely don't want the spice to be all that I taste, but a happy medium is what I'm looking for.  I don't have anything to compare it to because this year's recipe is different than past years.  In the past, it tasted a little thin so this year I took out the  1 lb of brown sugar and added some oat and biscuit flakes.  I'll let you know if I like it.   We do a fair amount of fall foliage trips, so if we plan anything out your way, I'll give you head's up and meet you somewhere to share a growler!

16 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm surprised that there isn't any football banter. Great win for the 'Skins and terrible loss for the Ravens. Still a lot of football left.

On the home front, we kegged our pumpkin beer today. Can't wait to try it carbonated.

I only saw the second half of the skins game.  all I know is that while it was a great win running all over the eggles defense, they still didn't quite put them away.  That led to the usual tense last few min.

Personally, i don't think the Skins are still all that good of a team but 4 in a row is impressive when starting off 0-2.  Eagles might not be as good as their record as well and are coming back to the league a bit.  Time will tell if the skins D can continue to improve as they have the last 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

I only saw the second half of the skins game.  all I know is that while it was a great win running all over the eggles defense, they still didn't quite put them away.  That led to the usual tense last few min.

Personally, i don't think the Skins are still all that good of a team but 4 in a row is impressive when starting off 0-2.  Eagles might not be as good as their record as well and are coming back to the league a bit.  Time will tell if the skins D can continue to improve as they have the last 2 weeks.

I don't have a lot in the way of expectations for the season, but I'd consider it a huge success if we are competitive up to Thanksgiving so that the Dallas game has meaning.  When I was a kid, beating them on Turkey Day while listening to Pat Summerall always made for a special holiday. 

But there was that one year of that Longley dude...

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I don't have a lot in the way of expectations for the season, but I'd consider it a huge success if we are competitive up to Thanksgiving so that the Dallas game has meaning.  When I was a kid, beating them on Turkey Day while listening to Pat Summerall always made for a special holiday. 

But there was that one year of that Longley dude...

you just had to go there....you just had to.

I felt that the T-day drubbing in 2012 permanently erased that horrific event.  you have no idea how fun it was that year to sit among anti-skins fans and watch RG3 throw all over the place that magical year.

IDK- the worst defense in the NFL has only given up 16 points in 2 games. We're 2-1 in the NFC east. 2 big road wins in Balt/NYC. If Cousins threw a TD and not an INT in the endzone against Dallas we would be 5-1. 

NFL games are brutal. Outside of the elite teams every year there are few easy or pretty wins for the rest. It hasn't been perfect. It hasn't been pretty. But I think it's safe to say we are a good but not great NFL team this year. 

It feels like there is a top grouping in the NFC (MN, SEA, ATL, DAL - not shockingly the division leaders) and then a contenders grouping (GB, WAS, PHL, ARI?) right under that.  While I like the Vikings chances this year, I don't see anyone running away with the NFC so it is pretty open.  An injury to Bradford, Wilson, or Ryan could completely tank the seasons of MN/SEA/ATL, so nobody is out of it.   

Agree MN. Seems like where the season is heading...so far...

One thing about SEA is if they get home field in the playoffs it puts them at a pretty big advantage. Home field is always an advantage of course but for whatever reason it's a huge advantage in SEA. They haven't lost a home playoff game since the Rams in 2004. 9 in a row since then. Crazy. 

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I keg and force CO2.  Most times I set the psi at about 14 and let it sit for a week or two to get carbonated, but lately I've been having success jacking the psi up to 30 for a day or two to quicken the process.  So, I should be able to try the it later this evening or tomorrow.

As far as how it turned out, I tried it warm and flat when we kegged and I didn't get the fall spice flavor I expectedo, so I'm a little worried.  The recipe called for 3 tsp of spice mix, but just like in year's past, I take the advice of others and cut that in half, so maybe once it carbs, it'll be different.  I definitely don't want the spice to be all that I taste, but a happy medium is what I'm looking for.  I don't have anything to compare it to because this year's recipe is different than past years.  In the past, it tasted a little thin so this year I took out the  1 lb of brown sugar and added some oat and biscuit flakes.  I'll let you know if I like it.   We do a fair amount of fall foliage trips, so if we plan anything out your way, I'll give you head's up and meet you somewhere to share a growler!

Cool. I've read about the various ways to carb a corny, and am always curious about how folks go about it. I've got a 20 lb tank waiting to be hooked up and push some suds!

The carbonation should help with the flavor and aroma, for sure. I completely agree with those who say to cut back on the spice - it's just too powerful. The sweetness/maltiness helps balance it out, though. I like the call to add biscuit and oats - I think it'll work really well for you. I use oats in my brown ales and it lends a great "fullness" to them.

When I made my pumpkin, I dropped 1 lb of brown sugar in it, but it really didn't dry it out at all. I mashed a little on the higher side (153F), so that certainly helped. I think it went from 1.067 to 1.016. It had a really silky mouthfeel, but it was a bit too "spicy," which is why I quite liked the aged version.

Let me know if you're out here. I'm always up for sharing a beer!

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived