Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

7 hours ago, MarkO said:

O/T, but what do you (or anyone else that has one) use for a webcam, and what are the data rates? We're looking to install one and a weather station at Campton Mountain.

Mine is a Sharx SCN3904 standard angle. Took a while to find the right one buy I'm quite happy with it! What do you mean by today's rates? Just about everything can be adjusted (I imagine you're worried about bandwidth?) mine is currently set a 1 frame per second 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, alex said:

Mine is a Sharx SCN3904 standard angle. Took a while to find the right one buy I'm quite happy with it! What do you mean by today's rates? Just about everything can be adjusted (I imagine you're worried about bandwidth?) mine is currently set a 1 frame per second 

Thanks Alex. Did you go with the interior or exterior? Is it simple plug and play, wifi? I assume all you need wired is a 110v power supply? As for data rates, it's nice to know it's adjustable. I noticed it was 1fps which appears to be about 0.4Mbps which shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it looks like chances for snow will be around as we get into the latter part of this week – mountain temperatures look fine for frozen, although moisture doesn’t look abundant since the main feature expected is just a frontal passage.  In any event, it looks like there will be some decent snowmaking periods with lows around 20 F as we get toward the weekend.  Thoughts from the BTV NWS below:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

633 AM EST Mon Nov 7 2016

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 307 AM EST Monday...The best threat of rain/snow shower activity looks to occur by later Friday into next Saturday as another fairly robust cold front sweeps into the region.

12 minutes ago, klw said:

Boy is it nice out there.

Yeah it is...but the sun set here at the office by 2pm.  This east side now goes into the shadows as early as 10:30am up high above 3000ft and then hits the parking lots by 2pm.  Crazy this time of year that the available sunlight is so low. Like we are already starting to radiate lol...shadow spreads over and it gets chilly fast.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it is...but the sun set here at the office by 2pm.  This east side now goes into the shadows as early as 10:30am up high above 3000ft and then hits the parking lots by 2pm.  Crazy this time of year that the available sunlight is so low. Like we are already starting to radiate lol...shadow spreads over and it gets chilly fast.

Sun angle, ftw

2 hours ago, qg_omega said:

im not very optimistic for the Killington world cup, looks decently warm after this weekend.

They only need 2 cold nights and days in a row at the top of the mountain where the race will be held.  That's all it takes to blast the trail full of snow.

6 minutes ago, eyewall said:

It was a beautiful day for a short hike to Bingham Falls in Stowe. This was taken via drone with some VERY careful flying:

14938274_10103747891247809_2688298865807

You are brave!  I just can't get over how great of a picture such a small camera with a little lens can take.  The water movement makes the picture.

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

You are brave!  I just can't get over how great of a picture such a small camera with a little lens can take.  The water movement makes the picture.

Do you guys have manual control of the camera on these drones?  Like can you adjust shutter speed and apature settings while flying?

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Do you guys have manual control of the camera on these drones?  Like can you adjust shutter speed and apature settings while flying?

Depends upon the drone. The better ones give you all those options. I ordered a Mavic last month. This will be my 7th drone, although I do use them for work which is nice.

1 hour ago, MarkO said:

Depends upon the drone. The better ones give you all those options. I ordered a Mavic last month. This will be my 7th drone, although I do use them for work which is nice.

Nice.  I'm not well versed in Drones (probably should get better and do some research) but I've always wondered about the ability to get creative with your photos from the sky.  Having that manual control is great.  I wonder if you could get that thing to steady itself enough to take a longer exposure?  What do we think the lowest shutter speed is possible with the drones before you get too blurry?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Nice.  I'm not well versed in Drones (probably should get better and do some research) but I've always wondered about the ability to get creative with your photos from the sky.  Having that manual control is great.  I wonder if you could get that thing to steady itself enough to take a longer exposure?  What do we think the lowest shutter speed is possible with the drones before you get too blurry?

PF, the drone camera's are getting better and better.  With the DJI Phantoms/Mavic you can set the ISO and aperture.  Good drones are very steady.  Gimbals add to the steadiness.  With the new Go Pro drone you just attach a Go Pro camera.  I think eyewall posted this picture earlier this year.  One of my favorites....

fireworks.jpg

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Hoping the cold shot this weekend pans out.  There is still snow even down below 2,500ft from the October snowmaking, so that definitely was still worth it.  The upper mountain is looking pretty good right now though.

Well, the BTV NWS forecast discussion concerning late week is below.  Current thoughts are that the snow levels in the north would drop to the valley floors, so sub-freezing top to bottom.  Not sure where wet bulb temperatures would be, but mountain temperatures look pretty chilly Friday night in the point forecasts.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 255 AM EST Tuesday...By Thursday night into Friday our next upper trough and attendant cold front will make quick headway into our area with abundant clouds and scattered shower activity. Models remain consistent in showing this front will have more punch than its predecessors, especially in regard to baroclinic forcing and as such the eventual sharpness in sensible temperature/wind fields with the frontal passage may end up being greater than currently indicated. The general idea of an increasing threat of showers north later Thursday night and across the entire area on Friday still looks reasonable, though discrete timing differences among this morning`s model output gives lower confidence on exact timing/arrival of precipitation north to south. As 925-850 mb temperatures fall sharply later in the day and toward evening, a change to snow showers looks quite plausible for many areas, even in the northern valley floors. Some minor accumulations may be possible Friday evening, perhaps an inch or two in elevated terrain with a wet coating possible on the valley floors. Low temperatures ahead of the front Thursday night should be seasonably mild in the 30s to around 40, with highs on Friday tricky depending on frontal timing and associated wind shift - mainly 40s. Lows Friday night mainly 20s to around 30.

59 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Another lady bug type of day.  Just beautiful.   Wow, what a fantasy storm on the Euro.  GFS something too.  Only 9 days away.  965mb over New England.  Euro even has a late season tropical system way down south.

it's beautiful out. winter can wait a little longer.

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

it's beautiful out. winter can wait a little longer.

Yeah man, working at 2700ft the past few hours and it feels like it's mid-50s.  Downright warm but feels amazing.

Crazy how little mixing there is this time of year.  

Its 50F at 4000ft and 52F at MVL.  Good mixing would put MVL easily into the mid-60s right now.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:42 PM, MarkO said:

Thanks Alex. Did you go with the interior or exterior? Is it simple plug and play, wifi? I assume all you need wired is a 110v power supply? As for data rates, it's nice to know it's adjustable. I noticed it was 1fps which appears to be about 0.4Mbps which shouldn't be a problem.

Hey sorry for the delay! I put it in the exterior. It's a very easy setup. You can either run it wifi with a power cord, or as PoE. I liked the flexibility - I have it wifi now, but will switch to wired at some point!

Sunny and U50s, awesome day today.

Although I wouldn't mind an inch or two here and there to get to my 5" NOV average.  There have been a few pretty snowy NOVs in VT, although it seems the big totals don't happen too often. . 2002 the most recent it seems and a few others like 71 and 72. 

Nov 1971 was pretty much a 10 day siege at the end of the month. Maybe a miracle pattern flip to end the month:)

NOV 1971                                      total snowfall

WAITSFIELD 2 WSW COOP          37.0
PERU COOP 35.0
BARRE MONTPELIER AP   WBAN 34.3
WOODSTOCK COOP 34.0
BETHEL 4 N COOP 34.0
WHITINGHAM 1 W COOP 33.7
ROCHESTER COOP 32.7
LUDLOW COOP 32.5
CAVENDISH COOP 32.4
SEARSBURG STN COOP 32.2
NEWPORT WBAN 31.7
CHELSEA COOP 30.9
MAYS MILL COOP 30.3
WARDSBORO COOP 30.0
NORTHFIELD COOP 30.0
READSBORO 1 SE COOP 29.4
BELLOWS FALLS COOP 28.0
CANAAN COOP 27.0
MORRISVILLE 2 COOP 27.0
NEWFANE COOP 27.0
CHITTENDEN COOP 26.0
MANCHESTER COOP 25.8
DORSET 2 SE COOP 25.5

Sunny and U50s, awesome day today.

Although I wouldn't mind an inch or two here and there to get to my 5" NOV average.  There have been a few pretty snowy NOVs in VT, although it seems the big totals don't happen too often. . 2002 the most recent it seems and a few others like 71 and 72. 

Nov 1971 was pretty much a 10 day siege at the end of the month. Maybe a miracle pattern flip to end the month

NOV 1971                                      total snowfall

WAITSFIELD 2 WSW COOP          37.0
PERU COOP 35.0
BARRE MONTPELIER AP   WBAN 34.3
WOODSTOCK COOP 34.0
BETHEL 4 N COOP 34.0
WHITINGHAM 1 W COOP 33.7
ROCHESTER COOP 32.7
LUDLOW COOP 32.5
CAVENDISH COOP 32.4
SEARSBURG STN COOP 32.2
NEWPORT WBAN 31.7
CHELSEA COOP 30.9
MAYS MILL COOP 30.3
WARDSBORO COOP 30.0
NORTHFIELD COOP 30.0
READSBORO 1 SE COOP 29.4
BELLOWS FALLS COOP 28.0
CANAAN COOP 27.0
MORRISVILLE 2 COOP 27.0
NEWFANE COOP 27.0
CHITTENDEN COOP 26.0
MANCHESTER COOP 25.8
DORSET 2 SE COOP 25.5

Yeah I must not let last year's PTSD kick in.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived