Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Big Jims Videos said:

First, please don't use the nam that far out. 

Second, NHC upped the wind potential a hair for shore areas.   Bottom line is still prepare for long duration windy conditions at the beach with increasing tidal cycles.  

I am well aware, but everyone else has been posting it so why not join the party. But OK thank you.

14 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

First, please don't use the nam that far out. 

Second, NHC upped the wind potential a hair for shore areas.   Bottom line is still prepare for long duration windy conditions at the beach with increasing tidal cycles.  

Speaking of the NAM ( a model most of you know I can't stand), the 4k NAM keeps this moving NE through hr 60 and it ends up pretty far north but also east.  

OT, but what a waste of money running a terrible model at 3 different resolutions.

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Speaking of the NAM ( a model most of you know I can't stand), the 4k NAM keeps this moving NE through hr 60 and it ends up pretty far north but also east.  

OT, but what a waste of money running a terrible model at 3 different resolutions.

Its government, that is one of the things they do best, waste money.

If a capture of this is still on the table, I think you will see the qpf explode on the western side. This storm is stuck inside the benchmark for days. If it under goes extra tropical transition, I'm curious why it wouldn't through back copius amounts of water. But that's why I'm hooked on this hobby; to see something new. 

What people will remember this storm for is the duration, and how that translates into significant coastal flooding and beach erosion.

There are three main elements to wave heights: duration (time), wind intensity, and fetch (area) over which the wind is blowing. 

Hermine will score very high in terms of time and fetch, and  moderate in the intensity category. This will make for significant coastal flooding and beach erosion---the likes of which would normally be attributed to a very intense hurricane.

The proximity to the coast while she sits over the open water will compound the coastal flooding effects, as significant wave heights will come with a significant storm surge.

I think we'll see coastal flooding damage from Virginia to Cape Cod, and significant impacts to prone areas along the coast, in this respect, from Cape Cod to Delaware.

the dec 1992 storm also did a lot of damage to the coastline this storm won't come close to the damage.... here in nyc we had heavy rain while in high county of new jersey they had 2 feet of snow..i remember a bridge got stuck open here in nyc due to the winds.. they were howling laguardia airport had hurricane force wind gusts.. parts of the subway were closed for days due to flooding....

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

If a capture of this is still on the table, I think you will see the qpf explode on the western side. This storm is stuck inside the benchmark for days. If it under goes extra tropical transition, I'm curious why it wouldn't through back copius amounts of water. But that's why I'm hooked on this hobby; to see something new. 

I think that option remains possible.   IF the energy from the trough gets injected it would undergo an extra tropical transition.

41 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This doesn't look like your typical ET as the Euro holds onto a warm core well into next week.

ecmwf_t500_ne_13.png

ecmwf_t500_ne_24.png

Agreed. This is the climatological peak for SST in the Atlantic, and that's the northern Gulf stream it's hanging around, which would imply an environment conducive to tropical --not barolocinic -- development.

15 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Agreed. This is the climatological peak for SST in the Atlantic, and that's the northern Gulf stream it's hanging around, which would imply an environment conducive to tropical --not barolocinic -- development.

Yeah, the area east of the Delmarva has a slightly better THP now than the area of landfall along the Gulf Coast. It looks to be an interesting blend of tropical

and baroclinic energy fueling this when it phases with the cutoff. The cyclone phase charts show this.

tcheat_atl_2014.png

natl_cdas1.png

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived