• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

Local offices issue those, but much of the wording is pre-canned statements. I mean it makes sense for places in the SE, that aren't used to windy, rainy days. It's a hazard of impact based products, because impacts aren't the same everywhere in the country.

Just wait until we're doing impact statements in winter products.

Ha winter impact statements... freezing rain advisory for 2 hours of --ZR before rain with wording akin to "do not leave your house until the threat has passed."  

Some of those messages really are overkill...but then again if even one person is killed in a traffic fatality due to a light glaze, then the doom and gloom message is likely justified even if for 90% of the people it's not warranted.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that, but the quoted post doesn't have the name of the poster on it.  On the old site if you quoted a persons post, there username would be on it.  But not here(at least not on my device/computer.  Is there an adjustment to allow that?  Or is the quote only there without the username?? 

It's a glitch right now. It only happened within the past day. 

Ha winter impact statements... freezing rain advisory for 2 hours of --ZR before rain with wording akin to "do not leave your house until the threat has passed."  

Some of those messages really are overkill...but then again if even one person is killed in a traffic fatality due to a light glaze, then the doom and gloom message is likely justified even if for 90% of the people it's not warranted.

I mean the ultimate goal is to try and save lives and property, but you really dull the message if you're always telling people to take cover when the wind hits 35 mph, etc.

Sometimes a little common sense can do amazing things. Things like...not driving 70mph on a glazed service.  You can put out all the impact statements you want...but people are gonna do what they want unfortunately.  

You always see the post mortem on traffic nightmare events and people ask..."How could this happen!"  Well, S+ arriving during rush hour will do it. We can only do so much. People have places to go, that's the bottom line.  We just need to communicate the correct forecast, timing etc. 

Sometimes a little common sense can do amazing things. Things like...not driving 70mph on a glazed service.  You can put out all the impact statements you want...but people are gonna do what they want unfortunately.  

You always see the post mortem on traffic nightmare events and people ask..."How could this happen!"  Well, S+ arriving during rush hour will do it. We can only do so much. People have places to go, that's the bottom line.  We just need to communicate the correct forecast, timing etc. 

Yeah, if the road looks wet and the car in front of you isn't kicking up spray, you should probably slow down.

Yeah, if the road looks wet and the car in front of you isn't kicking up spray, you should probably slow down.

I'm an American damn it!  That means I get to drive where I want, when I want and at whatever speed I want!  If I have an accident then the weatherman obviously was wrong again and/or the road crews weren't doing their jobs!  And don't even get me started on snow tires and such, they look too clunky on my car!

The social science is always fascinating. I agree that sometimes we need to put out wording other than start, stop, and how much...but there are times where I feel we go overboard with wording things like impacts, what to do etc. I don't mean NWS...I mean as a community. It's tough to find the sweet spot between leveraging saving lives and money, but also not going handlebars on something that may really not be a big deal. 

I'm an American damn it!  That means I get to drive where I want, when I want and at whatever speed I want!  If I have an accident then the weatherman obviously was wrong again and/or the road crews weren't doing their jobs!  And don't even get me started on snow tires and such, they look too clunky on my car!

When you slide under an 18 wheeler....just yell "Murica" as you slip under the axle. 

The social science is always fascinating. I agree that sometimes we need to put out wording other than start, stop, and how much...but there are times where I feel we go overboard with wording things like impacts, what to do etc. I don't mean NWS...I mean as a community. It's tough to find the sweet spot between leveraging saving lives and money, but also not going handlebars on something that may really not be a big deal. 

I know plenty of people who still crap on the social science, but most meteorologists aren't people persons and we have a generally poor understanding of how they react to our messaging. 

I know plenty of people who still crap on the social science, but most meteorologists aren't people persons and we have a generally poor understanding of how they react to our messaging. 

I know we deal with those issues with airlines. I always try to convey a clear message of my forecast, how it could go wrong, and confidence. But it's amazing how they interpret what I'm saying. You can't assume anything. 

millions of 'types' of mentalities on the road ... but, the lowest common denominator features two more basic approaches to driving:

-- need to have bad accident before learning 

-- don't need to have bad accident before learning

unfortunately, the former tends to forcibly include the latter into snarls

the law is charged with the responsibility of protecting everyone, unilaterally ... dispassionately, without prejudice; unfortunately, on a purer philosophical level, only one above deserves that protection. 

as far as greasy glaze on the roads, it too does not discriminate between those that are smart enough to visualize calamity, and those who are not.  

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nope.

hmm.   

i got offered to on-line interview for a Moderator gig - they were throwing numbers out like 50,000 k/year.   

yeah...obviously that sounds fishy, BUT, ... it was for the fashion industry.  umm, yeah - me?    that's pretty damn funny actually if you know the source material.  wow.  

anyway, just curious how pervasive that is - interesting.  

as an after thought, let me ask you this?  why not - 

i mean, someone has succeeded in turning this into a 'for profit' venture.  are they getting moderator services for free then ? 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

hmm.   

i got offered to on-line interview to Moderate for like 50,000k a year.   

yeah...obviously that sounds fishy, BUT, ... it was for the fashion industry.  umm, yeah - me?    that's pretty damn funny actually if you know the source material.  wow.  

anyway, just curious how pervasive that is - interesting.  

as an after thought, let me ask you this?  why not - 

i mean, someone has succeeded in turning this into a 'for profit' venture.  are they getting moderator services for free then ? 

This place doesn't make that much money. We've got a nice core of weenies and a few extras come in during big winter storms and the like, but really there's only enough coming in to keep the site running.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This place doesn't make that much money. We've got a nice core of weenies and a few extras come in during big winter storms and the like, but really there's only enough coming in to keep the site running.

yeah, i dunno - makes me wonder.   i guess the fashion industry et al is more pervasive but heh ... i try to look decent in public, but that's about it.  ahaha

Sometimes the message is conveyed well, people take proper steps, and shyte still happens.  Case in point, our friend's daughter and son who were killed and severely injured in an icing related car crash in Feb.  NWS and local mets did well with forecasts...schools were delayed and cancelled.  Highway crews did their job...

...and still Mother Nature found 1 small spot on a hilly road that provided enough lack of grip that causes a small car to spin out of control (state police estimated car was travelling 35mph in a 45 mph zone) and slam into a tree at just the right angle to do the deed.

Sucks

Archived