• Last Reply

Tornado on ground west of Indy.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
544 PM EDT MON AUG 15 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHEASTERN BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
  HENDRICKS COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
  NORTHWESTERN MARION COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...

* UNTIL 615 PM EDT

* AT 543 PM EDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER DANVILLE...OR
  20 MILES WEST OF INDIANAPOLIS...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.

SOURCE...PUBLIC CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE
           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
  PLAINFIELD AND AVON AROUND 600 PM EDT.
  PITTSBORO AROUND 605 PM EDT.
  BROWNSBURG AROUND 610 PM EDT.
  SPEEDWAY...CLERMONT AND EAGLE CREEK RESERVOIR AROUND 615 PM EDT.

THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS...
INTERSTATE 65 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 117 AND 136.
INTERSTATE 70 NEAR MILE MARKER 59.
INTERSTATE 74 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 59 AND 73.

Still on ground NW of Indy.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
611 PM EDT MON AUG 15 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHEASTERN BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
  NORTHEASTERN HENDRICKS COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...

* UNTIL 645 PM EDT

* AT 611 PM EDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER
  BROWNSBURG...OR 16 MILES NORTHWEST OF INDIANAPOLIS...MOVING
  NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE
           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
  WHITESTOWN AROUND 630 PM EDT.
  ZIONSVILLE AROUND 635 PM EDT.

THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS...
INTERSTATE 65 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 128 AND 136.
INTERSTATE 74 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 62 AND 67.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I would argue based upon the TDS and couplet, this is probably a strong tornado right now.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
643 PM EDT MON AUG 15 2016

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0642 PM     TSTM WND DMG     2 SE BROWNSBURG         39.82N  86.37W
08/15/2016                   HENDRICKS          IN   AMATEUR RADIO   

CONSIDERABLE DEBRIS 

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

Well that was an interesting evening. Lots of trees and power lines down in the southern and eastern portion of the county. Was siren city for an hour there. Will have to see what shakes out after they look at it later.

There should be multiple tornado confirmations. The thing was still spinning when it got up here and IWX issued multiple tornado warnings. I saw three funnels drop, but not touch down. By the time it got here, it was too dark to get any video or pictures. And there was NO lightning for backlighting.

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

There should be multiple tornado confirmations. The thing was still spinning when it got up here and IWX issued multiple tornado warnings. I saw three funnels drop, but not touch down. By the time it got here, it was too dark to get any video or pictures. And there was NO lightning for backlighting.

Video of the tornado from Indy. Nice stovepipe into multi-vortex.

Yes that was an interesting late afternoon.  And an old school chase, no radar, just a warning text that popped up and good old fashioned seat of your pants and using the eyeballs to chase lol.  Dropped my stepsons off at Amazon near Whitestown for work about 6:15, and got to chase all the way home up to around the Tipton area.  The meso was quite wide at times, reaching all the way to the surface, I'd estimate up to a mile with brief vortices spinning up within.  Had to run East through some very heavy rain to get into a better position.  That was a hell of time for my windshield wipers to break! One of the more interesting storms I've ever chased structure wise, reminded me of the Nov. outbreak storms a few years ago only not moving nearly as fast.  Very rarely can you observe the entire structure of the supercell from ground up in Indiana.  Got into a good position between 31 and 19 on the E-SE side as it passed to my NW with a great view of multiple vortices within the meso and rotating sheets of rain about a 1/4 mile away .  Got into some 70 - 80 mph winds within the broad rotation and RFD.  One of the coldest RFD's I ever felt, temp had to of dropped from 80 to like 65 within a minute.  I must say, with the time of day and the media coverage there were a lot and I mean a lot of people driving around the countryside who had no business doing so.  Quite obvious they had no clue what or how to observe this thing.  It was quite irritating.  Fortunately knowing the area very well I was able to get away from them and observe and chase peacefully.  Unfortunately I had a crappy phone with me and was really unprepared for a chase.  I did get some decent pics of the storm structure as it moved through Tipton and up towards Kokomo I'll get posted.   Was a nice surprise on what I thought was going to be a boring rainy drive home.  Damn windshield wipers :weep:

I've been in Indy working the state fair and it was fun to watch the tornadic supercell unfold. Pretty ripe environment for a spinup with good low-level instability and speed/directional shear just south of the warm front. I only noticed two lightning strikes with the cell and I think those where cloud-cloud so pretty much a tornadic shower.

40 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Yes that was an interesting late afternoon.  And an old school chase, no radar, just a warning text that popped up and good old fashioned seat of your pants and using the eyeballs to chase lol.  Dropped my stepsons off at Amazon near Whitestown for work about 6:15, and got to chase all the way home up to around the Tipton area.  The meso was quite wide at times, reaching all the way to the surface, I'd estimate up to a mile with brief vortices spinning up within.  Had to run East through some very heavy rain to get into a better position.  That was a hell of time for my windshield wipers to break! One of the more interesting storms I've ever chased structure wise, reminded me of the Nov. outbreak storms a few years ago only not moving nearly as fast.  Very rarely can you observe the entire structure of the supercell from ground up in Indiana.  Got into a good position between 31 and 19 on the E-SE side as it passed to my NW with a great view of multiple vortices within the meso and rotating sheets of rain about a 1/4 mile away .  Got into some 70 - 80 mph winds within the broad rotation and RFD.  One of the coldest RFD's I ever felt, temp had to of dropped from 80 to like 65 within a minute.  I must say, with the time of day and the media coverage there were a lot and I mean a lot of people driving around the countryside who had no business doing so.  Quite obvious they had no clue what or how to observe this thing.  It was quite irritating.  Fortunately knowing the area very well I was able to get away from them and observe and chase peacefully.  Unfortunately I had a crappy phone with me and was really unprepared for a chase.  I did get some decent pics of the storm structure as it moved through Tipton and up towards Kokomo I'll get posted.   Was a nice surprise on what I thought was going to be a boring rainy drive home.  Damn windshield wipers :weep:

Did you get any pics? Pretty awesome to see an unexpected Tornado, and a relatively strong one at that.

Flash flooding in Southern South Bend. Water rescues at Ireland and Ironwood. A couple of basements have  collapsed. The Martins supermarket in Erskine Plaza has feet of water in the parking lot. A couple of cars have water up to their windows. There is some water in the store.

Nice account Jackstraw. I agree with everything you said about cloud structure in Indiana, locals who had no business being out running around, etc. My problem was by the time it got up here, it was getting so dark that the features were hard to see to the untrained eye and too dark to get any video.

In the meantime, back to the purpose of the thread::maprain:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
433 AM EDT TUE AUG 16 2016

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0230 AM     HEAVY RAIN       WALKERTON               41.47N 86.48W
08/16/2016  M9.85 INCH       ST. JOSEPH         IN   PUBLIC           

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL.

Looks like there were several tornadoes in IND's territory and possibly extending into IWX.  Here's one

1234 PM EDT TUE AUG 16 2016

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0628 PM TORNADO 4 W BATTLE GROUND 40.51N 86.91W

08/15/2016 TIPPECANOE IN EMERGENCY MNGR

EXTREMELY WEAK TORNADO CAUSED MINOR TREE AND CROP DAMAGE.

Archived