Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Aug. 9-17 Heavy Rain/Flood Threat

snowlover2

update from IND

As of 225 PM EDT, the National Weather Service has established the following occurred yesterday evening:

EF0 Tornado in Clayton, Hendricks County
EF1 Tornado one half mile east of Pittsboro in, Hendricks County...updated from listing this tornado as in Avon.
EF0 Tornado 4 miles west of Battleground, Tippecanoe County.

A number of other sites are having storm surveys. It is probable several tornadoes will be added to the above list. This story will be updated as more information  becomes available..

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chinook said:

St Joseph County (South Bend) Indiana CoCoRAHS rain totals. 4.40" to 9.95" is quite a range of rainfall amounts. Are there any serious flooding issues?

8jRxVVs.gif

I drove through some of those areas during the height of the heavy rain yesterday on my way home, and there was many flooded roads and I almost spun out a few times. Lots of field and low lying yard flooding as well. 

20 hours ago, IWXwx said:

There should be multiple tornado confirmations. The thing was still spinning when it got up here and IWX issued multiple tornado warnings. I saw three funnels drop, but not touch down. By the time it got here, it was too dark to get any video or pictures. And there was NO lightning for backlighting.

Latest IND update:

"Preliminary ‪tornado count for Monday Aug. 15 is 7, pending quality control of survey data. 3 EF0, 3 EF1, 1 EF2."

Amazing length and duration from one lone cell. Although several witnesses (including myself) reported strong rotation when it got into IWX's area, there have been no confirmed touchdowns up here.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Latest IND update:

"Preliminary ‪tornado count for Monday Aug. 15 is 7, pending quality control of survey data. 3 EF0, 3 EF1, 1 EF2."

Amazing length and duration from one lone cell. Although several witnesses (including myself) reported strong rotation when it got into IWX's area, there have been no confirmed touchdowns up here.

Do you know where the EF2 was?

No, they will not release any details until they complete quality control. Should know tomorrow. I'm speculating it was in the Brownsburg area. I saw some damage pictures from that area that were fairly significant. I also should correct my post. At least one of the EF-0's was from a separate storm (the one near LAF).

16 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

No, they will not release any details until they complete quality control. Should know tomorrow. I'm speculating it was in the Brownsburg area. I saw some damage pictures from that area that were fairly significant. I also should correct my post. At least one of the EF-0's was from a separate storm (the one near LAF).

That would correlate with the videos I have seen on twitter where the tornado did look the strongest with some debris being lofted in the air.

Meteorologist Chris Edwards (From WXYZ) posted this on Facebook. That is crazy, but not surprising.

As of 6am today, Detroit (as measured at Metro Airport in Romulus) has received more rain in the last 4 days (3.51") than we had gotten in almost three full months prior to that. From May 15 until August 12, we only had a total of 3.25", putting us in a drought condition. Unfortunately, it was too much of a good thing too fast, so flooding is impacting many parts of the metro area this morning.

2 hours ago, Nflow6 said:

Just had my cell phone with me. Looking SW from near IND 22/13 intersection at approaching low topped Sup, the others a bit later looking West from Ind 13/19 near Swayzee, IN.

20160815_200626.jpg

2016-08-16_030542.jpg

2016-08-16_031052.jpg

You might want to get in touch with IWX if you haven't already.  Were you able to tell if it was on the ground?

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

You might want to get in touch with IWX if you haven't already.  Were you able to tell if it was on the ground?

I've already had this discussion with IWX after I sent them a video from the Swayzee Police Dept. The county line is 2 miles west of town and it has been determined that the tornado was actually (barely) in Howard County (IND).

Tornado warning east of Cincy. There are some damage reports from earlier of possible tornado damage near Sardinia which is also east of Cincy.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
1223 PM EDT WED AUG 17 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTHWESTERN ADAMS COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN OHIO...
  EAST CENTRAL BROWN COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN OHIO...

* UNTIL 100 PM EDT.

* AT 1223 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
  TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR WINCHESTER...MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE
           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
  WINCHESTER...SEAMAN...RUSSELLVILLE...CHERRY FORK...DUNKINSVILLE AND
  LAKE WAYNOKA.

On 8/9/2016 at 2:48 PM, snowlover2 said:

From now until Friday there's the possibility slow moving torrential rain makers causing flash flooding especially IN/OH which is why the early start date. By the weekend it's looking like a more widespread heavy rain event across the southern half of IL and especially IN/OH. WPC QPF says it all.

p168i.gif

Compare/contrast this with the final precip analysis (4km radar/rain gauge data) for Ohio shows some sections over 2.5" for the week, but generally less than 4". Toledo got 2.07" in the time frame of Aug 11-17, so that is not too bad. Toward the end of this, there were high rain amounts near South Bend and Kalamazoo that were never directly indicated on the WPC map. That's pretty standard for a 7-day forecast- it missed some locations of the heavy rain, that's why they sort of broad-brush it.  WPC put in 9.9" at New Orleans there... which might have been helpful alerting people as to some flood danger. I saw on CoCoRAHS plots, there was 25" in two days in East Baton Rouge Parish LA (oh my gosh). I hope they are OK.

JpDkhHZ.png

Archived