joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August OBS '16 S/E Edition

NWNC2015

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at RDU when the outflow came through followed by a pop up new storm and poured there for 8 mins or so.  Left the airport and drove down and near the sheetz at the airport it was bone dry. Drove I 40 and it poured again by CaryTowne Pkwy exit and then dry by the time I got on 1/64 by Walnut St.  Watching it slowly degrade itself and knew I had to go out and water the plants in the yard. We got a whole whopping .02" here. Nice lightning show with that cell that rolled through Lillington and that area as usual

Did get a nice sky thru the tall Carolina Pines in my backyard as the sun was setting

IMG_8137.JPG

It was 63 when I left the house this morning. Nice break from those endless 70s. Tonight should be even better; 50s in some areas:

<RAH>

.NEAR TERM /TODAY AND TONIGHT/...
As of 100 AM Monday...

Synoptic subsidence in the wake of an upper level trough progressing
offshore the Mid-Atlantic coast this morning will increase surface
pressure and strengthen high pressure over the Ohio Valley and
Appalachians today, aiding the advection of a drier airmass into the
region from the NW. Expect clear skies, a light NW breeze, and
noticeably drier conditions (dewpoints falling into the 50s) with
highs ranging from the mid 80s NW to lower 90s far south (near SC
border). High pressure will build east of the Appalachians into the
Mid-Atlantic tonight, with an attendant sfc ridge extending
southeastward into the Carolinas. With a much drier airmass in place
and clear/calm conditions, expect lows ranging from the mid/upper
50s in the typical rural/low-lying areas (especially west of Hwy 1
across the N/NW Piedmont) to the lower 60s elsewhere, perhaps
65F in the far SE Coastal Plain. -Vincent

21 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

CAE is calling for a low of 69 tomorrow morning. If it verifies, it will be the first reading below 70 at CAE since June 20th - 65 days!

From CAE's facebook page :D..................  The low this morning at the Columbia Metro Airport was 68° breaking our stretch of days with temperatures at or above 70°. The stretch of 65 days broke the previous record of 54 days set most recently during the summer of 2010.

3 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

From CAE's facebook page :D..................  The low this morning at the Columbia Metro Airport was 68° breaking our stretch of days with temperatures at or above 70°. The stretch of 65 days broke the previous record of 54 days set most recently during the summer of 2010.

Wow, that shattered the record! It is just amazing the records CAE has either broken, or just been a hair short of this summer. Recall on 8/10 they broke the string of 51 straight 90 degree days which was just 3 days shy of the record, and it took a boatload of clouds in the PM to allow them to top out at 89 at 11:15 am. Had you reached 90 that day, the string would still be going strong at 67 days!

They also came up just a hair short on the record for consecutive 100 degree days back in July. In fact, highs of 99 on 7/2, 7/10, and 7/14 kept the streak from reaching 13 days. They are sitting at 21 days of 100 or higher, which is just short of that record, but that could have easily been eclipsed with 7 days reaching 99 and 4 others reaching 98. Really, by comparison, GSP hasn't been all that bad this year. Very hot yes, but sitting at 48 total days of 90 or higher, and just one official day at 100 (CAE at 89 total days of 90 or higher so far, should surpass 100!) High in my backyard is 97 this year. I really feel for you midland peeps. Cola really lived up to it's nickname this year! 

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Wow, that shattered the record! It is just amazing the records CAE has either broken, or just been a hair short of this summer. Recall on 8/10 they broke the string of 51 straight 90 degree days which was just 3 days shy of the record, and it took a boatload of clouds in the PM to allow them to top out at 89 at 11:15 am. Had you reached 90 that day, the string would still be going strong at 67 days!

They also came up just a hair short on the record for consecutive 100 degree days back in July. In fact, highs of 99 on 7/2, 7/10, and 7/14 kept the streak from reaching 13 days. They are sitting at 21 days of 100 or higher, which is just short of that record, but that could have easily been eclipsed with 7 days reaching 99 and 4 others reaching 98. Really, by comparison, GSP hasn't been all that bad this year. Very hot yes, but sitting at 48 total days of 90 or higher, and just one official day at 100 (CAE at 89 total days of 90 or higher so far, should surpass 100!) High in my backyard is 97 this year. I really feel for you midland peeps. Cola really lived up to it's nickname this year! 

I would be very interested to see a picture of their weather station setup.

15 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I would be very interested to see a picture of their weather station setup.

Well even if it is off, it would be comparing temps to past temps of the same station. If you look at wundermap, they have lots of reporting stations in in the Columbia area and CAE always seems to be about in the middle. Right now for example, it show 97 at CAE and there are temps in the cola area ranging from 91 near Chapin to 106 at Heathwood. Heathwood always seems to be one of the highest so I do wonder about that one. But there are several others at 100 or higher right now at 2:55pm. I is just a very hot area, and CAE seems to be about down the middle. That means many areas around have been even hotter this summer!

Archived