Newest Member
    joxey
August OBS '16 S/E Edition

NWNC2015

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

It has been an extremely humid summer.  It suck so bad!

Sure has...might be the worst ever...if it's not it sure as hell is right at the top of my list. It just seems like there has not been any let up whatsoever. Words can not express how much I am sick of it and how badly I want fall to get here.

Speaking of humid, a couple of days ago in western/southwestern La..the surface temps were in the upper 80s to low 90s with dewpoints as high as the mid 80s. One station in particular that stood out was 93 with a dewpoint of 85..which made for a heat index of 123. It wasn't a bad reading either as stations all around it where in the 86 to 92 range with dewpoints of 81 to 84. Amazingly, although there were some to the west, there were no  heat advisories or excessive heat warnings in effect at the time either. Mind you the rain was just off to the east at that time and maybe the duration didn't last long enough but it still was surprising.

1 hour ago, Lookout said:

Sure has...might be the worst ever...if it's not it sure as hell is right at the top of my list. It just seems like there has not been any let up whatsoever. Words can not express how much I am sick of it and how badly I want fall to get here.

I agree with you. I can't remember it being so hot and so humid day after day after day. Currently 94/79 HI 110. I also work in a hanger so there is no A/C just fans. It is so miserable. The only breaks we get are if big storms move thru.

6 hours ago, Lookout said:

Speaking of humid, a couple of days ago in western/southwestern La..the surface temps were in the upper 80s to low 90s with dewpoints as high as the mid 80s. One station in particular that stood out was 93 with a dewpoint of 85..which made for a heat index of 123. It wasn't a bad reading either as stations all around it where in the 86 to 92 range with dewpoints of 81 to 84. Amazingly, although there were some to the west, there were no  heat advisories or excessive heat warnings in effect at the time either. Mind you the rain was just off to the east at that time and maybe the duration didn't last long enough but it still was surprising.

Luckily, I don't think we've had an 80 dew point here.  Can't imagine a 123 HI.  That is brutal.

This year has been a weird one here, outside of a few 5-6 day periods of 95+ temps for daytime highs we havent really seen what I consider extended heat wave type weather......in fact we have averaged 88-93 or thereabouts most days, but the humidity hasnt backed off at all, we have been at or above 100 on the heat index a lot more than normal this year for sure, I know we have hit 100 or better on the heat index for the last 7 days and that will continue for at least another 3-5 days, and I bet just about every day in July was over 100 on the heat index.... The number of days where we hit 107 or higher has to be into the 15-20 day range....hoping the cool down modeled around the end of the month signals the end of the summer.....actually has some 30's and low 40's up around the lakes......

Archived