• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

I remember my college Statistics professor saying on the first day of class "The numbers don't lie, but one can make them say whatever they want."  So...the coldest Christmas in years is on the way!  Christmas 2016 is forecasted to be the coldest one since 2013!  Those are true statements.  Now if we take a closer look, my high for both Christmas 2014 and 2015 was 58 and this year Upton is currently calling for 44 IMBY, which is about 8 degrees above normal.    

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I watched a movie about 1 year ago on a place called Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.  They have some amazing things based on the sun and moon, along the lines of what we're talking about, like rock formations that align precisely with the Solstice and such.

Chaco and Canyon De Chelley are awesome.  Some of the smaller ruins in northern AZ like Wupatki are equally as neat and more accessible.  I've traveled extensively visiting Anasazi ruins around the southwest.  Cool stuff :) 

22 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, I always find that stuff interesting as well. Here's an interesting article from the NYT about the disputed origins of the stone chambers, and another one that looks at a couple of the sites (including the chamber from your screenshot) from a more fanciful perspective. Both pretty good reads if you have the time.

They are all over the place around here.  There used to be more but... development and progress :blink:

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hah, that'll be the day. He's only about 5 minutes down my road so I sneak over there every year for inspiration. Pretty wild stuff.

I saw it once a few years ago, rather impressive. I can only imagine what it looks like now although I did see the drone video they did, cool stuff!

Archived