Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

General assumption is despite poor ratios we still received modeled amounts for the most part and is some cases exceeded, I'd say this storm over-performed quite nicely. if we can minimize rainfall tomorrow we should be able to hold onto some snowpack to atleast make it somewhat of a white Christmas 

Yeah, it seems like liquid equivalent overperformed to compensate for the deficient ratios. What was the wettest model? The NAM? 

49 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, it seems like liquid equivalent overperformed to compensate for the deficient ratios. What was the wettest model? The NAM? 

NAM was wet but very warm aloft. Had us changing over. GFS prob was best overall. Consistently showed 5"+ for the area with some CAD. RGEM was too far south with its snow

So what are the chances of a flash freeze tomorrow?  It's super wet out there now, actually drizzling, and only supposed to get wetter tomorrow.  The ground had gotten pretty darned cold before today and things are a bit slick out there now so I'm guessing that if it doesn't rain a lot tomorrow it will freeze up as soon as it gets dark.

3 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

General assumption is despite poor ratios we still received modeled amounts for the most part and is some cases exceeded, I'd say this storm over-performed quite nicely. if we can minimize rainfall tomorrow we should be able to hold onto some snowpack to atleast make it somewhat of a white Christmas 

Yeah this is not all melting in about 14 hours barring a deluge, cold front comes through around noon tomorrow, still 33 here...CAD ftw

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

We'll see. I don't think we are done seeing snow up here for the rest of the month. 

The trend so far this season has been for strong cutters to turn weaker and colder, offering snow chances where the long-range maps promised torches. When you look at the GFS and see half a dozen disturbances over the next two weeks, you kinda have to expect some more snow (even if short-lived, like this weekend) before the month is out.

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The trend so far this season has been for strong cutters to turn weaker and colder, offering snow chances where the long-range maps promised torches. When you look at the GFS and see half a dozen disturbances over the next two weeks, you kinda have to expect some more snow (even if short-lived, like this weekend) before the month is out.

Absolutely, at the end the trend has been our friend. I get the frustration of those on the coast but we have better chances up here, which is climo. 

Archived