Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I haven't checked soundings yet today on new guidance, but when I looked yesterday this once again looked like an event with little to no virga, similar to this past Sunday.  The only reason that event even had any virga was the precip was insanely light and sparse, otherwise it would have reached the ground even earlier.  This coming event on yesterday's models had no huge dry nose evident in the 650-900mb later at all, only dry at the surface.  That can be overcome quickly if you are saturated down to 6-8,000 feet before any precip arrives. 

Just looking at the 00z suite so far, I still lean toward a lower starting guess - something like 2-4" or 3-5" area-wide. GFS soundings look good for heavy precip, but it's a brief affair before the changeover overtakes us. That would be like 6-7 hours of snow. Even though WAA is modeled to be so anomalously strong, I still like to see a resisting high to promote fronto banding. Otherwise, soundings still suggest prolific riming, which could keep ratios close to climo or even lower in the worst case.

It should be a pretty good thump, but anything more than 5" or 6" strikes me as unlikely right now.

15 minutes ago, snywx said:

Picked up a quick half inch. Man its brutal out there... Deep winter!

IMG_3214.jpg

Woah it actually looks like winter over there.  I got a coating on dry ground and even though it's in the low 20's it's actually gone already except for a few little windrows in the shade.  Well, enjoy your winter because all I'm gonna get is fkn cold stick season for a few days and then my luck we'll only get an inch before it turns to rain on Saturday.

Uptons thoughts as of 930am

Sat morning. Most locations....with perhaps only Orange
county...should be plain rain by early aftn. LLJ will also be
increasing to 70-80 kt Sat morning...thus have added a period of
moderate pcpn to the grids. This will aide in rapid accumulation
of snow inland where 4-6 inches are expected before the changeover
to rain. Elsewhere...expect 2-4 before the changeover...lowest
amounts to the SE (see most likely snow accumulation forecast on
our winter weather page for a visual of forecasted totals).

Archived