Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Heavy heavy leaf drop in my area today. Went from vibrant peak color to vast bare patches essentially overnight.

I believe that is the drought effect. It doesn't effect the colors, except possibly enhance them in some trees while dulling them in others, but the duration is shortened. Looks like wind this weekend which will take many of them down. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I believe that is the drought effect. It doesn't effect the colors, except possibly enhance them in some trees while dulling them in others, but the duration is shortened. Looks like wind this weekend which will take many of them down. 

Yeah, that should put the kibosh on most of the foliage. Cool and sunny weather next week will make for pretty sweet viewing of whatever leaves manage to hang on, though. There was still lots of green along Seven Lakes Drive in Harriman when I was there yesterday am.

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, that should put the kibosh on most of the foliage. Cool and sunny weather next week will make for pretty sweet viewing of whatever leaves manage to hang on, though. There was still lots of green along Seven Lakes Drive in Harriman when I was there yesterday am.

I was in Albany for a few days and got home this afternoon, I couldn't believe the change in color and I had a lot of leaf drop too. I'm at peak around here, maybe a touch past peak IMO only because of the leaf drop in my yard. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was in Albany for a few days and got home this afternoon, I couldn't believe the change in color and I had a lot of leaf drop too. I'm at peak around here, maybe a touch past peak IMO only because of the leaf drop in my yard. 

I'm thinking of driving up to Thatcher SP this weekend, you suspect there will be any color left to look at? 

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm thinking of driving up to Thatcher SP this weekend, you suspect there will be any color left to look at? 

I may still give it a shot. Even if the colors are past peak there will still be color.  So maybe a panoramic shot may not look as good but some smaller sections or individual trees may still look great. There's only one way to know for sure. 

10 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

The color here has gotten better since last week for sure.  The oranges, reds, and yellows are really popping in a lot of trees.  Definitely approaching peak, just needs a bit more time.

Yes color def exploded but I have also noticed very quick leaf  drop . 

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Have to check my Davis for that.  .89 in my gauge

It's a regular problem for me and I obviously can't spray the Davis with bug spray.  I have sprayed the pole though and wrapped duck tape around the pole , sticky side out, but if it worked it was only short term. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

It's a regular problem for me and I obviously can't spray the Davis with bug spray.  I have sprayed the pole though and wrapped duck tape around the pole , sticky side out, butbif itbeotked it was only short term. 

Spider attack you while typing?

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Damn spider built a nest in the Davis rain gauge so nothing in that, anyone else have that problem?  

.65" in the Stratus

Happened to me a few times as well . I have a tubular too so when it's way off I know it's time to clean the webs out 

Archived