Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

On 10/14/2016 at 5:02 PM, Animal said:

Canistear  Reservior heading out of Highland Lakes, NJ to Rt 23 is brutally low. A few dry islands are showing up. Lowest I have ever seen it. 

Point and click is calling for a low of 33F tonight. I highly doubt I get that low. My call 36F.

Hit 38.9F this morning. 

Hopefully the back half of the month we get the mother ship of cold.

Checked my stats for last year. I had a monthly low of 25.3F on the 19th of October in 2015.

It's the lowest I've seen the Wallkill here. Made it 29 and it appears to be the first hard freeze here. A mild October tends to bode well for winter,  I'm fine with saving the cold for the second half of November and go from there. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Ooh we got some drizzle overnight :o  It was damp for a little while but all dry now.  Beautiful morning to be outside.

Are the colors getting any better over there now?  There are some really nice reds popping out of the maples over here now, rapidly approaching peak I'd say here although I tend to agree with @juliancolton that it could be a rolling peak which is fine by me. 

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

That "jackpot" area runs from New Paltz down through Pine Bush and into Middletown and finishes strong near Sparta NJ. 

Just simply amazed at the gradient from N to S over NJ. 8-12" below normal over NW to NJ to 8-12" ABOVE normal over Cape May.  A difference of close to 20" in annual precip for 2016 over < 200 miles.  Certainly not the result of any one localized tstorm.  I guess the feeling that all significant events in recent memory have missed to my South is reality.

This warmth kind of sucks all the joy out of autumn. Flannel and cider cancel until further notice. 

The NAM gets 850s near KALB up to 17C tomorrow, which would be well above average even at the height of summer. Latest recorded 80F or higher reading at KPOU is November 2, so no record to be found there. However, if Wednesday is the final 80-degree day for the year, it will have been 224 days (7.5 months or so) since 2016's first 80+ day, easily beating out 1950's 211-day difference. Tomorrow looks to yield a +20F or so departure, which is impressive, but unfortunately nothing we haven't seen in the past couple years.

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The fall colors in the Pine Bush area are insanely beautiful right now. Like usual, the pictures don't do it justice.

elzlJqK.jpg

Very much agree on both counts. The color around is looking really good now. I took of photo of the tree that decided to go orange this year but the photo dulls down how bright the leaves are so it's pointless. 

54 minutes ago, snywx said:

Beautiful! I can see you were hanging on our side of the river yesterday lol..

Cragsmoor I believe sits atop the Shawangunk Ridge at about 2000' feet. Did you see any fire damage?

Hah, yeah, I'm trying to plan my photography outings to be in sync with the peak foliage as it makes its way southward and downhill. I think I still have enough time for a couple more worthwhile trips to the Catskills and/or gunks before I start focusing on areas closer to the river. 

I saw the fire scars the last time I was at that spot in the early summer, but it was rather hazy last night which made it hard to see the underlying hills. Still haven't really gotten my bearings wrt the extent of this year's fire.

Archived