joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been looking at the GFS forecast soundings for the upcoming heat, and it seems to have fairly shallow mixing in many areas of the sub...generally below 850 mb which prevents that furnace air from being realized over a bigger area.  Not sure if this is a model error and the real profile will be more mixed (I tend to think it could since it has done this in the past, but just a hunch).

Been looking at the GFS forecast soundings for the upcoming heat, and it seems to have fairly shallow mixing in many areas of the sub...generally below 850 mb which prevents that furnace air from being realized over a bigger area.  Not sure if this is a model error and the real profile will be more mixed (I tend to think it could since it has done this in the past, but just a hunch).

Well I look at it this way, it is all relative, if things don't mix as high you have 90/80 or if they do mix out more 95/75 or even higher. GFS certainly isn't backing off of the high dp. Euro is lower with dp and so the temps are closer to 100.

Well I look at it this way, it is all relative, if things don't mix as high you have 90/80 or if they do mix out more 95/75 or even higher. GFS certainly isn't backing off of the high dp. Euro is lower with dp and so the temps are closer to 100.

The HRRR will be fun to watch given that model's tendencies with aggressive mixing. 

Noticed the 12z ECMWF was pretty convective happy as the heat tries to come in. The GFS not nearly as much with more impressive ridging. Something to watch.

With rising heights I would suspect the Euro is overdoing it a bit. However that would be a nice alternative if we don't end up scorching.

I've been thinking for past few days that overall ridge placement next week is favorable for ROF type MCS activity, with it being fairly flat and centered south of us. This far out, models are obviously struggling with timing and placement of subtle waves, but I'd be surprised if we don't get a round or two of decent convection around here mid to late next week. Looks like midlevel flow could be decent at times too, so if that occurs well timed with any of the waves coming across, would likely have a decent severe threat too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Today felt more like the first day of September than July. High of 69°, dew points in the upper 40s during the afternoon.

Down to 55° already with light winds.

Looked at the corn around here more closely. A lot of it is in the 2-3 foot stage. Definitely shorter than this time last year.

Alek won't want to look at the 0z GFS. It's torch city starting the 7th and several days after.

To me it would start the 6th, but that's my opinion. Then another break starting the 13th.

Down to 53° here. Can't beat the forecast this weekend.

Interesting disco from DMX pertaining next week.

The system responsible for the heavy rain threat tonight will push
off to the east on Sunday/Sunday night. For much of next week the
subsequent 500 mb flow will be characterized by broad high
pressure across the southern U.S. and fairly swift zonal flow
across the north. This will result in a classic "ring of fire"
scenario for our region. Within this regime several subtle
shortwaves moving through the zonal flow will kick off multiple
rounds of convection, with probability largely maximized during
the peak heating and overnight hours, and a generally stationary
boundary setting up, enhanced by and wobbling around due to the
rounds of thunderstorms. These situations are notoriously
difficult to pin down in terms of details given the subtlety of
the forcing features and the fact that each round of storms is
dependent on the one before it. However, the large scale pattern
does appear to support Iowa being under the gun and there is
certainly some threat of active/severe weather at times between
late Tuesday and Friday. For now will maintain broad chance POPs
for about the latter half of next week and monitor in the coming
days.

It is currently 64 degrees, under heavy overcast, I wonder how rare it is to have back to back sub 70 degree highs in July.

One thing I've noticed this year is lack of mosquitoes, not complaining though.

It's happened twice at Urbana. 

7/12/1975:  69

7/13/1975:  69

7/13/1990:  68

7/14/1990:  69

Before I did my usual wxbell March cancellation, JB was bull-horning a dramatic flip to a hot dry summer starting in May, targeting the lower lakes, northern OV. I wonder how he's been twisting out of that one. I'm guessing the delayed but not denied card?

No his new quote is "no denying the earth is frying" until his call of spike in global temps fails too, said the globe is going to cool majorly due to record El Niño

Adding to previous post, yesterday's high was 20 degrees below average, with a transient pattern coming up, those calling for July to be the hottest month might not verify.

00z GFS and GGEM at least say don't be so sure about that.

It may not be the hottest July ever, but I predict with confidence this be the hottest July we've seen since 2010-2012.

Archived