SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS continues to hammer the central Illinois corridor with 2-5" of rain over the holiday weekend, man talk about a drag to the 3 day weekend. Ship this mess up to Michigan lol. Already seeing a special weather statement for the weekend, concerning the flood potential.

If this verifies I can't remember the last time a 4th holiday ended up a complete washout

post-5916-0-66878400-1467298684_thumb.pn

GFS continues to hammer the central Illinois corridor with 2-5" of rain over the holiday weekend, man talk about a drag to the 3 day weekend. Ship this mess up to Michigan lol. Already seeing a special weather statement for the weekend, concerning the flood potential.

If this verifies I can't remember the last time a 4th holiday ended up a complete washout

I'd gladly sacrifice what I consider the best holiday weekend of summer if we could somehow make that happen :whistle:

Alek's getting to you Stebo.

Does look like a big cooldown after the 7th/8th. How long it lasts is questionable.

Honestly it doesn't look like a big cooldown, the pattern is fast and transient, hell even behind the front it is in the 80s still here. It is a west to east pattern, compared to this weekend where it is coming more out of the northwest, I would consider this a big cooldown but again still transient as we will be in the 80s by Sunday.

Honestly it doesn't look like a big cooldown, the pattern is fast and transient, hell even behind the front it is in the 80s still here. It is a west to east pattern, compared to this weekend where it is coming more out of the northwest, I would consider this a big cooldown but again still transient as we will be in the 80s by Sunday.

I suppose it's relative. If you have areas well into the 90s or better toward the end of next week, it takes a big cooldown to just get back to average.

I suppose it's relative. If you have areas well into the 90s or better toward the end of next week, it takes a big cooldown to just get back to average.

In that perspective sure, though when I think of big cooldown this time of year, I am thinking 75 or less. The thing is though, with how dry it has been here I am not even sold on temps that low this weekend, dry ground/dry atmosphere should allow for quick daytime warming.

The thing about that potential late week heat is that it looks very muggy as well.  The GFS has been advertising a large area of dews near or above 80, which could be overdone in areal extent but even the Euro has a large area of dews well into the 70s. 

The thing about that potential late week heat is that it looks very muggy as well.  The GFS has been advertising a large area of dews near or above 80, which could be overdone in areal extent but even the Euro has a large area of dews well into the 70s. 

Yeah both are really cranking up the humidity, Euro had dews in the 80s as well originally. Still showing upper 70s for a large part of the region.

Yeah both are really cranking up the humidity, Euro had dews in the 80s as well originally. Still showing upper 70s for a large part of the region.

That area that gets dumped on coming up...imagine this airmass coming in over healthy crops and wet soil/standing water.  Sheesh. 

That area that gets dumped on coming up...imagine this airmass coming in over healthy crops and wet soil/standing water.  Sheesh. 

That is the exact reason why I don't think 80 dew points aren't unrealistic. You are going to put a ton of ambient moisture into the air as the heat ridge flexes.

That is the exact reason why I don't think 80 dew points aren't unrealistic. You are going to put a ton of ambient moisture into the air as the heat ridge flexes.

I buy that, in some areas.  Not this depiction though with the GFS giving out 80+ dews like Oprah gives out free stuff.

post-14-0-62641400-1467327142_thumb.png

Drought in the summer = heat. Look at the last time we were this dry in June, 2012. One of the hottest summers on record.

To be fair, it's a completely different situation.

Our "drought, which is extremely localized, has more so been a case of extremely bad luck instead of a large scale pattern that reinforces dryness. 

Back in 2012, virtually all of the SW and Plains states were experiencing exceptional drought conditions. Since then for the past few years (including this year), they've been experiencing pretty significant precipitation surpluses.

:clap: For July!  Stepped out to puddles on my driveway for the first time in I can't remember when. Awesome way to start the holiday weekend. Even had a nice light show around 3am according to my wife who was up. I just remember hearing the wonderful sound of heavy rain and returned to zzzz land.

Archived