Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Hit 90 here...currently enjoying a nice steamy evening.  

76 at 10pm is roughly 4-5x better than snow on Christmas.

Ekster and I were hanging out in your backyard tonight. Caught DMB at Meadowbrook. Unfortunately only one of us had to race back to GYX for work.

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This seems to be a major problem. The misunderstanding that 92-93 and dews 65-72 at BDL isn't hot . It is , and it means hills will be 85-89 with dews which for elevated areas is hot. It just doesn't often go above 90 in the hills. I thought folks knew that. When it does.. Guess what valleys ate 95-100. It's relative. I don't think anyone can argue looking at the progs that we are not settling into a hot , WAN pattern the next 2+ weeks 

More years than not, I do not hit 90* at the Pit.  It's a different world 4 miles and 800' away.

I like the new site!

15 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Wet must be a subjective term....about 1.30" on the month here and we're almost halfway through.  Normal for me is about 4".  The 0.5" I picked up is the most I've had in weeks.

Still very dry here.  Less than 1.5" since June 1.  A light sprinkle to dampen the dust

i figure Blizz would be all about the severe drought.   But Mt Tolland is magic

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Go back to maps and look at accumulated rainfall last 14 days 

You mean radar estimates?  How about looking at individual stations?  You'll see that not every station has had 4"+ of rain over the past couple of weeks.  At best it's localized.  If you want to use a term like "region", you have to use numbers that apply to most stations in the region.

36 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

I know it's way out there, but have you guys seen the 06Z GFS at 228 hours? Showing widespread 105+ temperatures in Eastern Massachusetts. 

Temps.PNG

it's been in that time range in all operational models, actually ... going back days and days and days worth of cycles... occasional, though.  it shows up with historic ridging along with, then, as said time frame comes into the late mid ranges it's always got a new trough that has dented the eastern arm of the continental heat bulge and we're stuck with a NW flow. 

it's why it was so dry in June ...because that was going on, and verifying. the challenge for this summer (thus) is to succeed one of those signal actually inside D9 and have it stick all the way in.  it kind of reminds me of the antithesis of the old D10 Euro bomb in the winter.  some years...seems there's always a historical KU blizzard on that particular day/chart ... but the pattern in future runs always morphs into something much less or even an opposite look at times.  this summers doing the reverse - it seems...  

we'll see, but, last night 00z runs did exactly the same thing ... after three or so cycles of encouraging consistency in the operational guidance' for a much more important heat event ... yet again, dink and dunked it SW of us. 

we'll see -

14 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Not down playing anything.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I just don't consider 88 "hot" in the middle of summer.  92 maybe but again, that's just me.  Like I said, it's all relative - someone in Arizona would laugh at us calling 90s hot or 80s in March would be hot.  I just don't consider 80s in July to be hot. 

It is certainly a warm pattern not questioning that, just calling it hot.

Yeah just a semantics difference...I'm just thinking if you ask your neighbor if it's hot outside when the temp is 88F vs 92F, will the response be any different and can you actually notice it?  Sort of like when people say the dew is 58F so it's not humid but at 61F it's all the sudden humid out.

But I guess it depends on if you are looking at using words based on relative to normal...because 88-90F to me seems hot no matter what time of year it is haha.  80-85F feels pretty warm too.

Agree to disagree like you said on the semantics haha.

Archived