Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 7th-9th Severe Weather Episodes

andyhb

Anyone hear from Brett? Wondering if got down there for it

I was on the Davis storm from the beginning. Actually ended up pretty far W of the tornado and had to play catchup. Leaving too early strikes again! It was worth it when I caught up, though. Probably the highest quality tornado I've intercepted from close range to date, but the terrain, traffic, and assorted other Oklahoma shenanigans tempered it a bit. Very sad to hear of the damage and fatalities, as well. Will try to post some pics later. I missed most of the stuff further E, except I briefly saw and filmed the wedge NE of Sulphur as it crossed the turnpike near me.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some footage of the earlier chaos with the mile wide wedge. "Is this bigger than El Reno?"

Basehunters gets everything it seems, lets find out tonight if they bagged a bunch.

I noticed when I was going to post hours ago when I hit reply to 3 quoted it did nothing and the board seemed to derp out (online count dropped to 6 from hundreds)...what was that?

Unreal video, the tornado took up the entire screen.

The dataset off the Wynnewood tornadoes is going to be absolutely amazing. Multiple DOWs were in close range data collection with at least on successful POD deployment. 

Multiple mini-mpex soundings too within the pre-storm/storm inflow/post-storm environments as well. Just an awesome day for tornado /thunderstorm research. Interested to see the measurments from the CSWR DOW, and OU RaXPol, as well as the results of the surveys on the two long track tornadoes, as both had incredible motion.

Best chase for me in my career thus far. I recorded almost 20 pure minutes of tornado footage from the Wynnewood TOR west of I-35. My longtime girlfriend and chase partner (Paige Burress) took almost 500 tornado pictures during all phases of the event today. My 20 minute video will be uploaded here in about 20 minutes and I'll add it to this post in an edit. My video was cool but Paige's catches were just mind-blowing. 

13116045_10154109529039654_8388703040659

Best chase for me in my career thus far. I recorded almost 20 pure minutes of tornado footage from the Wynnewood TOR west of I-35. My longtime girlfriend and chase partner (Paige Burress) took almost 500 tornado pictures during all phases of the event today. My 20 minute video will be uploaded here in about 20 minutes and I'll add it to this post in an edit. My video was cool but Paige's catches were just mind-blowing.

13116045_10154109529039654_8388703040659

Great shot! The Wynnewood tornado reminds me a little of the Pampa tornado, one of my favorites, so I'm kind of bummed I skipped out to study. I can imagine you had some fun out there.

Remarkable similarity in appearance between today's Sulphur wedge and the 1999 Bridge Creek tornado: https://twitter.com/AaronWxDavis/status/729851071196188672

Wow, there have been multiple scenes that looked similar to past events, one picture looked like it was from the Vilonia AR damage path of April 27, 2014 posted in this thread.

Congratulations on a career defining chase.

(Ninja'd by jojo762, see Elmore City, OK Incredible Violent Multi-Vortex Tornado - 5/9/16 video)

After 1:35 in above video, multi-vortex gold in HD, then the sound on top of all that gravy - what can you say? Nature making up for the last crappy few months?

(resident of house looks out in on backyard) Aww crap, there is a violent stovepipe in the backyard!

Video from Dick McGowan. Thing just shreds anything it touches: 

One of the more incredible pieces of tornado footage I've ever seen to be sure.  That near-ground motion is just insane.  Very nice looking rear inflow jet/ghost train between 25-40 sec mark.  

Watching how rapidly the large debris aloft is rerouted as it rotates around the tornado is simply astounding.  That's just an unbelievable amount of force being applied to those heavy objects to get them to move in such a manner.  

This reminds me a little bit of the Wynnewood, Oklahoma tornado today and the Hesston F5 tornado from 1990. They both sound similar.

Pause the Wynnewood tornado vid at 0:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1b1pW6HuUY

Pause the Hesston tornado vid at 2:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCUHtyFcRUI

I can't tell if that is a house in the Wynnewood tornado but we know that is a house in the Hesston tornado.

One of the more incredible pieces of tornado footage I've ever seen to be sure.  That near-ground motion is just insane.  Very nice looking rear inflow jet/ghost train between 25-40 sec mark.  

Watching how rapidly the large debris aloft is rerouted as it rotates around the tornado is simply astounding.  That's just an unbelievable amount of force being applied to those heavy objects to get them to move in such a manner.  

I knew when I saw the updated thumbnail for this video it would be "incomprehensible" and my jaw duly dropped. The tornado is just spitting those full-sized trees out like bullets across the road as if they were seeds. I'll be watching this one many dozens of times. I don't know if anything quite like this has been recorded before. There are very few tornado videos with that kind of motion in 1080p (roar from winds on top of it all). Definitely one of the best stovepipe tornadoes of all time.

Why doesn't the video show the tornado fully crossing the road? And that end, why is that also not completed? This keeps happening in half of all tornado videos. Maybe for the crossing they had to reposition because large debris was getting too close for safety but the video could keep going? Maybe those cars close to the monster have some footage (priceless I might add).

LP stovepipe tornado moving in a freakish fashion (CGI like, similar to the 3rd tornado in Twister) while drilling - combo.

This reminds me a little bit of the Wynnewood, Oklahoma tornado today and the Hesston F5 tornado from 1990. They both sound similar.

Pause the Wynnewood tornado vid at 0:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1b1pW6HuUY

Pause the Hesston tornado vid at 2:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCUHtyFcRUI

I can't tell if that is a house in the Wynnewood tornado but we know that is a house in the Hesston tornado.

Hesston is a good comparison. Both displayed extremely violent ground rotation for non-wedge tornadoes. I know that greater assessment needs to be made via ground damage (and how its foolish to try beforehand) to designate strength of this tornado, but based upon the fairly abundant video evidence starting to come out from this event, I'll be surprised if we don't see a minimum of ef-3 (likely ef-4) for this one.

Archived